magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

having problems in area code 216

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dporter
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: having problems in area code 216 Reply with quote

yesterday magicjake worked perfectly and the world was a good place.

today i have no audio on incoming calls.

i am using headphones and all settings were double checked. my outgoing quality is great and they can hear me perfectly, however, i can not hear them.

interestingly, if i call some recorded number i do get audio. however, only when it a digitally recorded message. for example, if i call my magicjack voice mail i hear everythng and can record a new message. if i call my work voice mail i get no audio.

i am not the only one in 216 to have this problem. several in this thread have the same issue.

http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/they-can-hear-me-but-i-cant-hear-them-on-phone-t1533.html

Note-everything is updated and double checked. there seems to be some issue with the tel com.
dougweiser
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: problems in 216 area code Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm having similar problems in 216. When I call my office it rings normally, but then when I should be hearing my office vmail outgoing message...I hear nothing, and yet when I go to retrieve my voicemail from a different phone, the voicemail could "hear" me. Meaning, it recoreded my cursing my MagicJack, even though I didn't hear the outgoing message.

I tried the *67 trick that I've seen posted around here, namely, if you are calling 216-123-4567, dial it as *672*161234567

I have no idea why this works, but it does seem to work.

UPDATE***: I found this on another thread... dial 123-4567*** This seems to have the same effect as *672*161234567.

Hey MJ tech support, can you explain why this "caller ID block" trick works? And why putting *** at the end of a locally dialed 7 digit phone number fixes this problem as well?

Can you fix this problem for us 216 area code users?!!

Doug
dporter
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

still having the problem. i'll try the tips.

thanks
ejacak
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problems also here is 216. Here is my post from a couple weeks ago...

Same problem here -- they can hear me, but I cannot hear them. (also 216 area code). I have tried everything -- all of the sound settings mentioned in other posts, regedit with mj tech support, updates, MJ recovery fix, three different computers (XP SP2), different phones, six different chat session with technical support for HOURS, HOURS, HOURS, coutless unplugging and replugging of the MJ, pig tail on/off, directly plugged into usb port, powered external usb hub, three days of reading forum posts and still nothing. Unlike some, about 1 out of 8 times the phone works and I can hear the caller -- but most times they hear me, but I cannot hear them. The problem occurs for both inbound and outbound calls. Seems to be less of a problem (on average) with OB calls than IB calls. Nearly all IB calls have dead air problems. All sound volumes are maxed and nothing is muted -- same results using phone or computer. MJ support staff is useless -- always the same questions and same simple level 1 tech support troubleshooting. It is very frustrating that they don't have a better knowledge base of solutions by now. This forum is my last chance! Has anyone found a fix for this yet? I really want MJ to work, but this is not serviceable.

Since that post I worked with level 2 ("higher level" they call it) magic jack staff who retraced many of the the same things, but also updated divx codex files before finally escalatating my issue to their technical engineer. I never heard back from them. I got pissed, put the damn softphone on DND and decided to take a break for a couple of weeks. I figure that eventually they will figure out what the heck is going on and fix the problem with an update.

If someone has an answer on how to fix the sound problem with incoming calls I would be in their debt. I love the concept of what Magic Jack can be, but right now it is a tremendous disappointment and source of endless frustration. Sad
johnj7l
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow all the same exact problem I have and yesIm in the 216 area code all so.

If someone calls the magic jack number they can hear me but I cannot hear them. Then if I try to call them back it then works fine for the day!

Whats going on here.....
dporter
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnj7l wrote:
wow all the same exact problem I have and yesIm in the 216 area code all so.

If someone calls the magic jack number they can hear me but I cannot hear them. Then if I try to call them back it then works fine for the day!

Whats going on here.....

Still having problems. I've experimented with others calling me and dialing *67 or *82 first with no success.

If someone calls me I cannot hear them but they can hear me.

If I simply make an outgoing call I cannot hear them but they can hear me.

If I make an outgoing call using *67 (*672*165551212) I can hear them fine and they can hear me.

I have a few days of vacation next week so I'm going to try MagicJack support. I'm not hopeful.
dporter
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Solved! Reply with quote

Thanks to Magic Jack support the issue is solved (at least for now Smile

Changing the DNS settings fixed the problem.

Control Panel - Network Connections - Right click on active connection - Properties - Scroll Down and select TCP/IP Connections - Properties - Use the following DNS server - 67.90.152.122

And there is it!
ejacak
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: dporter -- is the DNS change still working for your problems Reply with quote

dporter -- is the DNS change still working for your problems in 216?
dougweiser
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - I'm back...

This is getting to be a bigger problem for me. Almost all of my inbound calls now come in and the caller can hear me but I cannot hear them. Sometimes if they hang up and call back it works. Sometimes not.

I have set my DNS to the IP address listed in DPorters message above, but that has not helped the situation at all.

Can anyone help with this situation?

Doug
ejacak
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: No help for 216 Reply with quote

No solution -- still having problems (see my posting above). Open to any and all suggestions.
dougweiser
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today the problem was bad. I couldn't hear the caller on ANY of my inbound calls.

I restarted MJ from the Advanced menu... didn't fix it.
I unplugged MJ and plugged it back in... didn't fix it.

I planned to open a chat session with support, but wanted to gather some data first: I did a few packet captures with Wireshark, and can clearly see that the inbound calls were only getting setup one-way. Hundreds of packets outbound FROM my PC, but no packets coming in.

I went the MJ site, and was about to start a chat session ( www.magicjack.com/1/customercare.asp ) and I noticed the "Have Vista? Click here to upgrade" button. I thought what the hell, I've got Vista... I'll give it a try, even though I already had manually downloaded /installed the Vista upgrade a few weeks back... but lo and behold, after doing the upgrade (and nothing else), I can hear the people on the other end of the inbound calls again!

Now - the test will be to see how long this lasts before it fails again.

Doug
dougweiser
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK... the glory was short lived.

Having the same damn problems. No inbound audio, and had a few instances where MJ dropped the call completely after a few rings (seems it drops when the other side picked up).

This is really a problem, and will open a case with MJ support. I have the sniffer traces to prove the problem... now just to figure out how to fix it.

Doug
dougweiser
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK...another update.

I moved my MJ from my Vista home PC to my XP laptop. Same problem on both machines.

Tonight the problem is intermittent. One time, I'll get the 2 way conversatin, the next time, I will only get a one way call (no inbound audio).

So, I guess the only thing we have so far is... Its not a Vista issue, its not an XP issue, and its not a problem with my MJ hardware (most likely) since several 216 area code users have had this problem.

Is there any way to get this escalated other than the folks on the other end of a Live Chat support??

This clearly seems to be a problem in the Cleveland switch... I wonder if its time to get out of 216 and get a number elsewhere (which kind of defeats the whole idea of a "local" number now doesn't it).

Where is Dan B. when you need him!?

Doug
dougweiser
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took me nearly 3 hours of online chat... Monday, Wednesday, and Friday nights of last week, but I am now working directly with an MJ engineer on this issue.

He does not think anyone else is having this issue since he has not heard of it before.

If you are in the 216 area code, and experience the problem with inbound calls where you cannot hear the caller, but they can hear you, please post it here.

Also, please post the name of your ISP, and your brand of broadband router if you have one.

Thanks,

Doug
javaguy216
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having exactly same problem with 216 area code. I hear the caller, they cannot hear me.
dougweiser
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

I was working with the engineer today and we're narrowing in on the problem (ruled out some devices, and still suspect another).

We took packet captures at both ends, and he did get a capture of a normal call, as well as a call that "failed" (Where I cannot hear the inbound caller, but they can hear me.) In this case, the engineer was the inbound caller, so he experienced it first hand.

He is reviewing the packet captures now and working with the PSTN folks regarding the suspected trouble.

Doug
dougweiser
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the latest word I have from the MJ engineer on this issue is: "we know what the problem is, now we just have to get someone to fix it".

It sounds like the problem is not in the MJ equipment, but rather in the PSTN equipment.

The engineer is trying to get the right people to fix this issue... unfortunately in the meantime, the problems continue, and for me personally seem to be a little bit worse. I am now having the issue on outbound calls more frequently also - the call dials out, but I near nothing, no ring, no answer, nada.

Doug
dougweiser
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The engineer reports that the PSTN folks have made the requestd changes in the Cleveland equipment. (occurred over the weekend)

** Please provide feedback on whether or not you are now able to receive calls more reliably than before; meaning, on an inbound you can hear the remote caller.

Doug
dporter
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm living in 216 and am not having any problems. I am still using the DNS info in my earlier post.

That being said, I'm using a headset/mic setup. I still have problems using a telephone due to the low volume.
dougweiser
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update, that is good news.

I tried the DNS settings you mentioned but that didn't help with the problem I was having. When the MagicJack engineer informed me that the folks on the public telephone network side of things had made the changes he requested, I removed the DNS entry.

Since that time, mine has been working well (minus a problem I am having with the MJ and Vista sleep modes).

I think the 216 issue has been fixed.

Doug
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: