magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
1-888 number no longer works with MJ+

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks -> magicJack Plus Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mh1983
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:03 am    Post subject: 1-888 number no longer works with MJ+ Reply with quote

Hey all,

Have had the MJ+ for over a year and, while I'm happy with it overall, I know it's not without its share of quirks and annoyances.

A few weeks ago, my wife tried calling our bank's 1-888 number. Rather than getting the usual automated voice response, she got a fast-beeping dialtone (kind of like a busy signal, except faster). This is the first time we've encountered the inability to phone a certain number.

I bit the bullet and tried the infamous online chat support, was transferred to a "top-tier" support person, got the "submitted to engineers and we'll email you" response that I've read about on here (that was a week ago, so I'm not hopeful).

I was also wondering if it had to do with the prepaid minutes controversy that I've seen pop up on this forum, but I'm not prompted with any voice message saying to purchase minutes.

Anyways, my temporary workaround is to call the out-of-Canada number (1-416); that's fine, but I'd still like to figure out this issue if possible. Has anyone encountered this issue with toll-free numbers or otherwise?

Any help is appreciated -- thanks!
Pilot
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, same here, just call normal long distance number, same price as 800-888 numbers = free.
mh1983
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right -- like I said, the 1-416 number works. Just wondering why a toll-free number would stop working on MJ+ all of a sudden. Smile
SteveHC
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A "fast-busy" signal normally means that the connection "route" between your number and the number you are calling is temporarily overloaded, but sometimes this can occur when there are other types of phone company problems. It has nothing to do with MJ requiring pre-payment for calls to certain numbers.
mh1983
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clarification, Steve.

Good news too: as of yesterday, we can successfully call the toll-free number again! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks -> magicJack Plus Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: