magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

100% Horrible!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Reviews, Rants and Raves
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wrenchead3
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: 100% Horrible!!! Reply with quote

The idea is fabulous. The product sucks. Some calls do not go through. Very bad delay, which makes it very very hard to have a conversation. Echo, there is a way around it but it is a pain in the rear to remember. The customer service is like nothing I have ever seen before, I should say " lack " or service. All this company does is take your money and you are on your own. That dude is one smart puppy, take it and run. I had told everyone I knew about it when it was in the mail, I wish I had not said a word, I now have friends that are pissed at me because of it.
mufon
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 100% Horrible!!! Reply with quote

wrenchead3 wrote:
The idea is fabulous. The product sucks. Some calls do not go through. Very bad delay, which makes it very very hard to have a conversation. Echo, there is a way around it but it is a pain in the rear to remember. The customer service is like nothing I have ever seen before, I should say " lack " or service. All this company does is take your money and you are on your own. That dude is one smart puppy, take it and run. I had told everyone I knew about it when it was in the mail, I wish I had not said a word, I now have friends that are pissed at me because of it.

It all comes down to two things. If your CPU can provide the strokes needed by the MJ hardware and software (not just the speed of the CPU, but factor in other running software and background services, and virtual memory paging), AND your internet connection is suitable for high quality VOIP transmission / reception, then a magicJack is going to perform well.
wrenchead3
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 different pc's with the same outcome. One would assume then it is the server, not according to the diag :

Download speed 5228 Kbps (socket test)
Upload speed 656 Kbps (socket test)
Quality of service 99 %
Maximum delay 20 ms
Round trip time 2 ms
Upstream jitter 14.7 ms
Upstream packet loss 0 %
Upstream packet order 100 %
Upstream discards 0 %
Downstream jitter 15.5 ms
Downstream packet loss 0 %
Downstream packet order 100 %
Downstream discards 0 %
----------------------
VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 2.8 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.8 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0
Magic Jacked-Up
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call and get an RMA and send it back or get a replacement.
Mine worked right out of the box. Perhaps there is something wrong with yours.
mjscott
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my magic jack didnt work on my desktop..it was frustrating. but it did work on my laptop.

when i came here, i saw it working for other people, so i asked for help. that was last march. working great since.

i didnt have a landline, cell only. I've been able to use a lot less minutes.
Rickiev

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine worked right out of the box! $20 I'm in too Smile
Matt9876
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine works great on cable internet and dedicated XP PC.

Magicjack.exe process set to high was the last tweak that seemed to fix everything.

"Haven't had to touch the PC in weeks/phone service has been stable."

Hate to hear of others having problems.
Rickiev

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it possible to set the MJ process to high and stay on high ? each time I turn my compute on it goes to normal.

Matt9876 wrote:
Mine works great on cable internet and dedicated XP PC.

Magicjack.exe process set to high was the last tweak that seemed to fix everything.

"Haven't had to touch the PC in weeks/phone service has been stable."

Hate to hear of others having problems.
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickiev wrote:
is it possible to set the MJ process to high and stay on high ? each time I turn my compute on it goes to normal.

A couple ways were described the past couple weeks. I bookmarked at least one of them:

http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/post25136.html#25136

Mark
rockcrusher
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy I live north of Toronto. I have had my MJ now for about 2 weeks. prior to MJ I did not have a landline so I didn't have 911, nor did I have 911 while growing up! I have read many sites filled with complaints, I would says 95% of these people can not read? the MJ site clearly tells you, you need a good internet connection, no dialup. originally would not work with a Mac,there is a download for vista, it had to be plugged into you usb to work, also stated there is no Canadian phone #'s yet, I've heard people complain about they have to have their computer turned on for it(MJ)to work, duh. the MJ site tells you to run the Magicfix, if you try to use a MJ on a $10.00 computer how can you expect this gadget to work? I have heard numerous other ridiculous complaints, far to many to mention. I just want to say this MJ works beautifully I don't recall any calls I've made to BC, Alberta, Nfnld and to the USA being a problem I have logged about 7-8 hrs without a hitch. why would someone expect more than what the web site told them about MJ. I did do a live chat inquiring about paying for a future license with pay pal, also I very easily found their 800#'s and that they are located in Boca Raton Florida, also other contact#'s for Canada plus email addresses I don't see any mystery to this gadget as long as you don't expect any more than what the Magicjack web site told you prior to purchasing, this is a great little gadget. I say it a "no brainer" thank you Magicjack=======Rob Ontario Canada
isleblue65
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not replace my home phone service with Magic Jack - I canceled my home phone about a month prior with no intention of using anything buy my cell phone.

Then I came across Magic Jack while surfing the Web and thought that for the price I had nothing to lose. I'm glad I took the plunge.

I bought my MJ on Ebay for $28, so saved a little off the $39 regular price right there. It is the older MJ Dongle without the white square above the "J", but it has been working overall very well for 3 months.

What I would say to anyone considering MJ is that you should expect to do some tweaks and adjustments to optimize sound quality and performance. If you are the type who won't be happy unless it is a plug it in and forget it device, or if you are non technical or not interested in learning about and performing adjustments to your computer system to make MJ work better, then it is not for you.

I personally like doing this stuff, and I see it as getting a cheap, reliable and good sound quality phone as a reward for a small amount of effort.

By the way, I set my computer priority to 'High' for Magic Jack and it works MUCH better. I am going to configure my router's Tomato Firmware this weekend to give high quality of service (QOS) to Magic Jack for even better results.

Craig
BlackmagicBoy
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:02 am    Post subject: DUH.. Reply with quote

If you're using aircard, Dish or satelite connection on your internet MJ will not work well Embarassed
QuantumIguana
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magic Jack didn't work at first, but I switched it from a USB port on the back of the computer to one in front. I don't like it dangling off the front, so I may get a powered USB hub.
kcaj
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My MagicJack worked nicely at first but then it started experiencing echos. It got to the point the echos were so randomly frequent that it was completely unreliable. I spent hours reading the forum and adjusting settings, trying many of the suggestions. I finally come to the conclusion that the problem was with the MagicJack Tucson server being overloaded.

The MagicJack concept is great when it works but users should not have to be an IT expert to get it to work.

Meanwhile I found another free long distance service which for the past few weeks has been rock solid.

kcaj
cdwaldron

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KCAJ,

I don't even think there is a Tucson proxy. I think we use the Phoenix proxy. Have had no such echo problems in the last 8 months that I have been using mu MJ in Tucson. Sorry it didn't work for you.
TCW
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rickiev wrote:
Mine worked right out of the box! $20 I'm in too Smile

Same here. So far I still can't believe how well it works for just 20 bucks a year! This can't last. I'm sure the major carriers will either buy MagicJack out or get Washington to make it illegal.

Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Reviews, Rants and Raves All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: