Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
12/17/2008 forced update giving me headaches

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
hardlyw0rking
MagicJack Newbie


Joined: 16 Feb 2009
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: 12/17/2008 forced update giving me headaches

Things really rocked until the update files dated 12/17/2008. Anybody fix what broked. The older client will not work so the update was recently a forced update for me.I am not getting one 9 in uptime. I make calls with GrandCentral (GC dials MagicJack phone number, then connects me with other party).

The main problem is the intial call received from GrandCentral. MagicJack drops it too often. So I switched to using my cellular as the CG number used to call. No problem, I initiate the GC call, my cell rings, and the call is comleted.

Now, 80% of the time MagicJack works OK. But the other 20% of the time it is troublesome because family will hear thephone ring and get nothing when they answer because MagicJack dropped the call on my end.

Calling direct from MagicJack phone is not doable because of all the stories I hear about disconnected service when it is used too much. Most of the time GC calls my MagicJack number, and when it works, we talk for a half hour. I think a half hour a day outbound calling is the cut off where after that MagicJack will ask you to pay for service by the minute.

Again, this really started with the December 17, 2008 update. Did anyone else know a fix for this? Right now I just wait for evening minutes and dial using the cellular for most calls as MagicJack unreliability is too upsetting to most people I'm calling. So I do have a workaround.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Powered by phpBB Ultra Turbo Extended Edition Live © 2001-9999, phpBB Group
magicJack and magicJack Plus are trademarks of magicJack LLP. This website is in no way affiliated, endorsed, or sponsored by magicJack LLP, and is an unofficial forum for consumers to openly communicate regarding their experiences with the magicJack products.