magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

13 Reasons Why I will stay away from Vista a long as I can

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagicJackLover101
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: 13 Reasons Why I will stay away from Vista a long as I can Reply with quote

The main problems with Vista so far:

Problems Part 1

1. Costlier than the $100 Laptop and Gaming consoles: Vista Home Premium is $239, $159 upgrade; Vista Ultimate costs $399, $259 upgrade.

2. No instant plug and play: upgrading and setting up Vista will take much of your time.

3. Expensive for normal use: Vista is probably not for you if you use the PC for normal jobs like surfing and typing. Use Mozillla Firefox for same and better functionalities than Explorer 7. Microsoft may however try to convince you otherwise showing how cool Vista looks. If you are into looks, get a skin for your desktop.

4. Too expensive for Gaming: If you are into Gaming, for the price of a Vista, get a Gaming Console.

5. No big Vista application announcements: IBM, Intuit, large software vendors and even Microsoft�s own Dynamics ERP division have so far been quiet about their software for Vista.

6. Online software providers such as Salesforce.com do not plan to modify their offerings to suit the new Explorer

Now, we come to the actual problem with Vista.
After the lukewarm response to DRM initiatives by big companies, I am positive users will not like Vista�s draconian features that threaten to take the power away from them. Vista is actually worse than DRM.

To users, Microsoft says that it wants to protect them from computer viruses. To content owners (especially big media corporations), Microsoft says it will protect copyright. Actually, Microsoft ends up on the Big Media�s side, virtually controlling how users use and control their machines.

Problems Part 2

Highlights from the Vista user agreement, which comes into force once you choose accept and install the software.

7. This agreement only gives users only a few rights to use the software. All other rights belong to Microsoft.

8. If you do not like Vista's limitations, Microsoft says in the agreement that "you may not work around any technical limitations in the software."

9. Microsoft has the right to regularly check the legitimacy of the software (which you paid for) and CAN DELETE certain programs without your knowledge.

10. Microsoft can revalidate the software anytime or it may require you to reactivate it if you make changes to �your� computer components.

11. Microsoft has set significant limits on users� ability to copy or transfer the software. It prohibits anything more than a single backup copy and has set strict limits on transferring the software to different devices or users.

12. Only Windows Defender, the much-hyped anti-virus program �will determine what constitutes unwanted software. That means Microsoft can install Spyware and Adware with impunity.

13. Vista Content protection only helps Big Media: A computer scientist in New Zealand found that Vista intentionally degrades the picture quality of premium content when played on most computer monitors. Microsoft wants you to see that content on TV or bigger, pricier displays.
strndedinalska
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like other Microsoft products, Vista is way too buggy too. I bought a new HP machine with Vista and that was it for me. Some of the features are cool, but Vista locks up all the time and there is little or no fix. Whether that's HP's "added customer experience enhancement" or just Microsoft being a jerk, I don't know. I do know; however, the minute the warranty wears off, I'm heading back to the Apple Store and buy a mini.
PTravel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's odd -- I've been using Vista Business on my Vaio laptop since around January of last year. It runs fine (though I don't use it for games -- I use it for work).

I have no idea what the OP means by "Vista's draconian DRM." The OS has no built-in DRM. It's a function of whatever software you're running, e.g. run iTunes and it will have Apple's DRM, just like it would running under XP.

Vista's UAC, which is designed as an anti-malware feature, is annoying so I simply turned it off, which is very easy to do.

Windows Defender is an option for a firewall but it, too, can be turned off.

I use my laptop to view video, either on the laptop's screen, a larger desk monitor or my HDTV (in full 1080p resolution). I have no idea what your "New Zealand scientist" is talking about, but movies look great on all three display devices. I'm also heavily into video editing and use my laptop for that (with Adobe Premiere Pro CS3) -- no problems there either, and if there was any image degradation I'd see it. Incidentally, neither Microsoft nor Vista control how I use my laptop for this purpose. As with XP, I can rip commercial DVDs for access to their content, routinely transcode between all sorts of formats, produce my own DVDs (including Blu-Ray).

The primary problem with Vista is that it is not backwards compatible with some applications and hardware. It took quite a while for me to get things like one of my older scanners running properly, and there are various tricks and techniques for getting some legacy software to run. Aside from that, particularly with SP1, it is stable, usable and, though its improvements are primarily cosmetic, has some nice features.
strndedinalska

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem, I'm sure, is all of the "added customer enhancements" HP decided to drop in the box along the way. Vista wasn't ready for release and those made it even worse by overloading an already weak configuration.
docooo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HATED

Do you want to load this .exe --- do you REALLY want too ...
At this point I del Vista off my laptop and loaded XP
was kinda hard to find XP drivers for it as Dell does NOT
support XP but found them .
All well knw ..

I will NOT have Vista on any of my computers at the office .

Doc
>
jrmckins
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The #1 problem with Vista: It SUCKS!

I upgraded from Vista back to XP after 6 months. I just couldn't take it anymore.
MagicJackLover101
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: 13 Reasons Why I will stay away from Vista a long as I can Reply with quote

More info on vista.

Options for existing PC (not using MAC OS, Linux) users

- Continue using Win XP
- For gaming, you are better off with the consoles
- Use online office application from Google which are getting better by the day, including better integration with other online apps, in a seamless experience.
- OpenOffice is getting better by the day.
- Home Entertainment: Steve Ballmer says Vista as the center and the launching point for the next generation of connected entertainment in the home. Translation: Expensive Home Servers, premium content, all controlled by Vista�s draconian features.

The world�s needs an open source home entertainment server along the lines of Openoffice, if that is our entertainment future.

End notes
Despite having come up with a Big Brother type of software, Microsoft is sitting pretty. Microsoft knows that for Vista, it at least has the lucrative (&captive) OEM and Corporate market (which still has to show faith in online office applications).

Apple users may take heart with this article that extrapolates Apple�s current growth rate and finds that Apple may overtake Microsoft in the year 2011.

Magic Jack and Windows Xp are made for each other, If you are not using service pack 3.
strndedinalska

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upgrades never work. I recall several friends upgrading to XP when it first came out and the results were disasterous. Native is bad enough when an OS is new, but to pile the two together will make one pull their hair out.
testing123
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linux! (Plus VMware Server -- which is Free) for the win.

Run Windoze Vista, XP, win2k ... whatever ... possibly better than they run natively ... LOL.

Exits thread ...
mozerd
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pure unadulterated BALONEY!
PTravel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. No offense, but I have to wonder who you folks are.

"Do you want to run this .exe file . . ." is the UAC. Turn it off if you don't like (and I don't like it).

I'm not into gaming, but one of my clients developed MassEffect, so I was running it tonight (cool game!). Something must be wrong because I didn't have any problems.

There are significant security issues with on-line applications and, at least for my profession, they are unusable for a number of legal issues. I'm not a big Word fan (I always preferred WordPerfect) but Word 2003 runs just fine on my laptop.

OpenOffice is a great package (and the price is certainly right) but, unfortunately, not compatible with a lot of corporate document management software.

I have 7 computers on my network at home, representing three XP Pro machines running SP3, one running XP SP2, the XPe Pro thin client which is also SP2, one Linux box (running Suse) and my Vista SP1 laptop. Everything talks to everything else, upgrades were no issue except for one laptop (my wife's -- god knows what she got on there), and everything is absolutely stable.

I don't use media edition, but I do use my Vista laptop as a media center from which to access video content and play it on my HDTV. Works great. I used ot use one of the laptops to stream audio content, but I'm planning on moving that function to the thin client.

Believe me, I'm not Microsoft fan (they've sued my clients a number of times and my clients have sued them). However, the comments in this thread about Vista are simply inaccurate. Again, no offense, but how much experience do you guys have with computers? I wouldn't give either an XP or Vista box to a complete inexperienced user but then, again, I wouldn't give a Linux box to one either. I don't mean to be confrontational, but I'm really curious about the extent of your computer experience.
strndedinalska

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, let's see. I have fifteen years and counting in both Windoze and Macintosh. Is that enough to qualify me?
PTravel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strndedinalska wrote:
Well, let's see. I have fifteen years and counting in both Windoze and Macintosh. Is that enough to qualify me?
With all due respect, and no offense intended, I don't think so if you have continual problems with Vista locking up and have not been able to resolve them. What does the System Log show when the lock-ups occur?
MagicJackLover101
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I created this topic i knew i would get a lot of feedback, some negative and some positive.
PTravel..... You asked how much experience people have who have responded to this topic. ?
Read my signature and that will be enough said, I am one of a very few people, who's still around
from the cathode ray tube/punch card era...lol.. Just a fact.

My main problem with any software that I buy is this so let me repeat it again.

Problem 1
Microsoft has the right to regularly check the legitimacy of the software. (No problem from me),
However I still paid for it with my hard earn money. as long as I don't reverse engineer it, there should not be a problem.

Problem 2
Microsoft CAN DELETE certain programs without your knowledge. (VERY VERY VERY BIG PROBLEM).
Why are they snooping around in your machine in the first place ?
Software that u have on your own personal machine is your business not microsoft.

PTravel there is no need to wonder who we are, Opinions are like you know what, everybody has one.
Enough said
docooo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I HATE SP3 - but have had to rebuild several of my computers
and when I go for updates from MS all there is SP3 -- I have not been
able to find a UNTOUCHED load of SP2 with all the secerity updates
just before SP3 came out - any links ??

Tnx

Doc
>

Been around also with Card reader and then BIG tape 's for back up's
PDP 11's , Nova's , Heathkit's .. worked with the first UNIX at Berkeley - gee getting
old (

VISTA to me is like my "X" wife a Memory HOG

Life Journey Is Not To Arrive At The Grave
In A Well Preserved Body, But Rather To Skid In Sideways, Totally Worn Out,
Shouting Holy crap What A Ride it's been
jrmckins
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PTravel wrote:
Again, no offense, but how much experience do you guys have with computers? I wouldn't give either an XP or Vista box to a complete inexperienced user but then, again, I wouldn't give a Linux box to one either. I don't mean to be confrontational, but I'm really curious about the extent of your computer experience.

I took my first computer course in 1983. I majored in computer science and wrote software at IBM for 6 years right out of college before becoming a UNIX consultant for about 6 years. I've used mainframes, OS/2, all versions of windows, most major UNIXes and various Linuxes. I've also been published more than 50 times on computer-related topics in both hard-copy magazines and online. It's safe to say that I am or was an "expert" in at least one computer-related area. Besides Windows ME, Vista is the worst piece of bloatware I've ever seen. Like I said above, I ended up formatting my hard drive that had Vista on it and installing XP about 6 months ago. Just too many problems (especially performance) to deal with it on a home system. Maybe things have gotten better since I dumped it but it wasn't worth the hassle back when it first came out.

I'll wait for Windows 7 before I move off of XP.
PTravel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MagicJackLover101 wrote:
Since I created this topic i knew i would get a lot of feedback, some negative and some positive.
PTravel..... You asked how much experience people have who have responded to this topic. ?
Read my signature and that will be enough said, I am one of a very few people, who's still around
from the cathode ray tube/punch card era...lol.. Just a fact.
I remember those days well -- I learned to program on punch cards using a long-obsolete language called Michigan Algorithmic Decoder (MAD). There are very legitimate of criticisms of Microsoft, generally, and Vista, particularly. However, virtually all of the issues I've seen raised in this thread are, in my opinion, non-issues -- they are the result of misconfiguration, using incompatible software/hardware, or, as someone else noted, crapware installed by manufacturers.

Quote:
My main problem with any software that I buy is this so let me repeat it again.

Problem 1
Microsoft has the right to regularly check the legitimacy of the software. (No problem from me),
Actually, I have a rather large problem with that. Though Microsoft likes to insist that its OSs are "licensed, but not sold," I believe that is contrary to First Sale Doctrine (and courts in a number of jurisdictions agree with me). If, in fact, First Sale Doctrine applies, Microsoft has no right to do anything to the software once it's been purchased (though, in exchange for accepting updates from Microsoft, it does have a right to insist on verification).

Quote:
However I still paid for it with my hard earn money. as long as I don't reverse engineer it, there should not be a problem.
I agree completely.

Quote:
Problem 2
Microsoft CAN DELETE certain programs without your knowledge. (VERY VERY VERY BIG PROBLEM).
This is the first I've heard of this. What can Microsoft delete (and how can it delete it?)

Quote:
Why are they snooping around in your machine in the first place ?
Software that u have on your own personal machine is your business not microsoft.
Again, I agree with you completely.

Quote:
PTravel there is no need to wonder who we are, Opinions are like you know what, everybody has one.
Enough said
True enough. However, I really do have a problem with internet posts that say, essentially, "Vista is crap because I can't get it to work on my machine." My own empiric experience is more than sufficient to contradict that. I read Microsoft's Vista newsgroups, and also provide advice there when I think I know the solution to the problem. Usually, those posts begin, "Vista is crap because . . . ," and after either I or some other successful Vista user provides a solution, the poster will say, "Oh. Thanks -- that worked!"
docooo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me the point in my complaint about Vista is some of the programs I hve will
NOT run on Vista - thus I hve to pay "X" amount of bucks to get a update ..
It's all about MONEY ... and some of the office programs I run
still will NOT run with Vista .. Think this is why most of the billing
people have gone to all web base .

Gee I loved "ME" liked to rebuild my computer every 1-2 months Very Happy

Doc
>
PTravel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

docooo wrote:
To me the point in my complaint about Vista is some of the programs I hve will
NOT run on Vista - thus I hve to pay "X" amount of bucks to get a update ..
It's all about MONEY ... and some of the office programs I run
still will NOT run with Vista .
Do you mean Microsoft Office? Which version doesn't run. I'm running Office 2003 and I know people who are running Office XP under Vista. Office 2007 will, of course, run, too, though I don't particularly like it.

Have you tried running in compatibility mode? Have you deleted all Norton and Symantec products? Have you deleted crapware?

I really have yet to come across much that won't run under Vista. Yes, some software has to be upgraded (though surprisingly little), but I also have software that I used to run under DOS 3.0 that won't run on XP either.

Quote:
Think this is why most of the billing
people have gone to all web base .
My industry can't.

Quote:
Gee I loved "ME" liked to rebuild my computer every 1-2 months Very Happy

Doc
>
I've been doing that with XP, too.
strndedinalska

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PTravel wrote:
strndedinalska wrote:
With all due respect, and no offense intended, I don't think so if you have continual problems with Vista locking up and have not been able to resolve them. What does the System Log show when the lock-ups occur?

With all due respect, you must also disqualify four microsoft techs, countless HP techs, and even the fellow who makes his living working on computers of all types. None of them could answer the question either. Just because your Vista works well does not mean the system is perfect and will work under all applications. Microsoft has a habit of sending out buggy systems that need another couple of years worth of updates and upgrades to fix. By that time, they'll not only have a system that can function, but also a new system they're pushing so they can stop working on the mess they gave us already.

You can be a fan of Windows all you want. Our dislike of what Microsoft is doing means nothing to you the same as your determination to check our credentials means nothing to us. Not everyone who drives a Ford or a Toyota is a happy camper.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: