magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2 phones a no-go

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dannywho
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:16 am    Post subject: 2 phones a no-go Reply with quote

Hi,

I just bought the MJ a couple days ago at Best Buy, and been trying to hook it up. I have a "standard" type wired desk phone REN = 1.0B, and a 900 Mhz cordless with a REN of 0.5B.

If both are plugged in, only the desk phone will ring, if I unplug the desk phone, the cordless will ring. At first I had a cord from the MJ going to a 5 outlet jack, with only the two phones plugged in, and now I just tried putting a doubler jack into the MJ so I can have only 2 lines coming out, still only one rings, and I'm trying the shortest phone cords feasible, about 6 feet each.

What should I try to get both phones to ring? At this time, I plan on using the MJ as an emergency back-up, as my cell service is an unlimited minutes plan to anywhere in the US, so the MJ would also suffice for the rare Canadian call I may need to make. Guess I could also use the MJ phone for any situation I may not want someone/someplace to have my cell number, seems easier to change the MJ number than my cell number. Thanks much.

PS (Edit): I forgot to mention that even though the second (cordless) phone won't ring with the regular phone also patched in, I can pick up the call when I hear the other phone ring, and I can make calls from the cordless, I get a dial tone fine, just no ring. I even tried turning off the ringer on my regular phone, and still no cordless ring.
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happened when you used a powered external USB hub, as recommended so many times before? What other advice did you follow in previously posted threads that did not work for you?
dannywho
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mberlant wrote:
What happened when you used a powered external USB hub, as recommended so many times before? What other advice did you follow in previously posted threads that did not work for you?

I just tried my powered USB hub, and no difference, still only rings the wired in phone. I didn't want to try that unless absolutely necessary as Best Buy told me not to plug it into a hub, which I bought also so I could have a spare USB port on the PC to plug the MJ into.

I tried looking for a sticky or a thread on this topic, but I couldn't find one, going back a few pages anyways. If there is something that's handy, can I be pointed in the right direction?

Thanks much.
tony
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 phones a no-go Reply with quote

dannywho wrote:
If both are plugged in, only the desk phone will ring, if I unplug the desk phone, the cordless will ring.

Hi,
Weird that the cordless won't ring and the wired phone will ring. If you are less interested in finding out "why" and just getting to a solution that works, consider getting a multi-handset cordless phone (and don't bother with the corded phone). You can have several MJ handsets around the house. Do a search for in these discussions for compatible wireless phones. I'm using a cheap 5.8 GHz VTech wireless with 2 handsets and it works great.
lockmaster
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: uniden and vtech cordless phones Reply with quote

I have found the Uniden 5.8 cordless phones work great. I have a 4 station set with a built in answering machine. I installed a two station V-tech 4.8 on my daughter's MJ and it also works great. Only problem is that I wish MJ would allow their ring times to go to 5 because of the internet delay. Most of the cheap cordless phones that have answering machines can only be adjusted for 2, 4 and 6 rings. If I set it to 4 or 6 rings MJ automatically sends the caller to voice mail. If I set the answering machine to 2 rings it turns on too quickly and does not give me time to get to the phone to answer. I sure hope the MJ people ready the entries in this forum.... customer satisfaction goes a long way in the business world.
msiam
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the standard wired phone equipped with a real bell?? When it rings is it the old standard ringing of a real bell?? If so, then if you can take the cover off the phone by the two screws on the bottom of the phone, there is a small bias spring in between the two bells or if it only has one bell, the spring is next to it. It can be released by moving it out of the little catch that is creating the resistance in the bell clapper or hammer.. See if that will allow both phone bases to ring. Good luck, and let us know if you are successful..
dannywho
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I was trying to just use the phones I already have if possible, without having to pay for new equipment, as this is as of right now intended to be a back-up system only without a lot of use. Some days maybe a few calls due to convenience, and probably stretches of days without using. I won't give the number out unless I have to, like going to be w/o cell service for a while, I don't have a landline, but have unlimited cell calling (T-Mobile Loyalty Plan for $50/mo.).

The wired in phone has an electronic ringer, and has a high/low/off switch. Cordless still won't ring even with ringer switch off. As an emergency back-up I can probably get by with the cordless being a "dumb phone" of sorts, as I'll probably make more calls with the MJ than I plan to get, those should usually go to my cell.

If I need more service in the future, I probably would have to upgrade to a better set of phones, as suggested. However, I been reading posts here of people's service being suspended for talking over a ill-defined limit, so will only keep for back-up and as cheap as possible. Everything seems to work well otherwise, and calls seem to come in and out OK, and the calls are clear so far, I have a 7 Gb down/480 Mb up cable Internet connection. But again, would be nice to get both phones ringing, even though the non-ringing cordless will still make calls, and receive if I can hear the other phone ringing.
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I read your comment that your desk phone was 1.0 REN, I, like msiam, assumed that it was an older phone with a mechanical ringer. I was surprised when you now stated that the phone has a high/low/off switch. Switches like this are mounted between the ringer electronics and the sounder, so the ringer is never truly removed from the circuit.

The easiest way to defeat such a ringer, if you are so inclined, is to put a bridge rectifier in between your MJ and that one phone, so that the "AC" side of the bridge faces the MJ and the "DC" side faces the phone, with + feeding the green wire into the phone. The bridge will prevent the ringer AC from reaching the phone at all, while allowing the talk path DC through to the phone. Depending on the vintage of the phone's electronics, you may or may not need to reverse the polarity if you discover that DTMF no longer works behind the bridge.
gleytch
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you have the MJ plugged into your household phone wiring - did you remember to disconnect your household wiring from the phone company wiring at the TNI on the outside of your house?

Greg
dannywho
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, not into the house's phone wiring. What I have is the MJ plugged into a USB2.0 port on my PC, and then one of those 1-to-2 jack adapters so you can run two cords out, plugged into the MJ. It looks like this:
http://www.smcelectronics.com/TELADAP1.JPG

Then 2 six foot cords coming out of that, one to the wired in phone, and one to a cordless. The wired in phone is one of those home office types with a 20 number speed-dial and a speakerphone built in, but probably 20 years old. The cordless is probably at least 10 years old being 900 Mhz.

Does that 1.0 REN sound too high? I know I have some other phones around, but they're the same home office type and just as old, I have them stored away, I'll try that.

However it sounds like, by others posting that it will work with a set of 3 or 4 matched cordless phones with the same base. I just want to be sure down the road, if I decide I need to use the MJ system more, it will work with more than one phone, say I start a home business like I eventually want to do. Then again, I'm concerned in that case, as others have stated, that MJ can cut your service for going over a certain amount of time each day, but again I believe in the MJ docs, it says it's OK as a business phone. So would depend on how much I need to use it.

Thanks again.
tony
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dannywho wrote:
The wired in phone is one of those home office types with a 20 number speed-dial and a speakerphone built in, but probably 20 years old. I know I have some other phones around, but they're the same home office type and just as old, I have them stored away, I'll try that.

My bet is on your old office type phone with speed dial and speakerphone. I've had several iterations of those older phones and they suck a lot of line power. When I'm on one of those phones and someone picked up an extension, they couldn't hear a thing. I bet if you pull one of your other phones of storage, your setup will work just fine. For starters pick the most basic (no display,or for, no memory dialing), simple, and as modern as possible from your collection. Or borrow a phone for your test. An $8 basic phone from a discount retailer should work fine too.
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your desk phone have its own power supply, or does it suck all of the power from the phone line? Do you have the option of connecting an external power supply to this phone for powering the memory buttons and speakerphone?
dannywho
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mberlant wrote:
Does your desk phone have its own power supply, or does it suck all of the power from the phone line? Do you have the option of connecting an external power supply to this phone for powering the memory buttons and speakerphone?

It uses phone line power, and 3 AAA batteries, but not sure what the batteries do, I think to keep the memories of the speed-dial buttons. I see no way to hook up an external power supply. I just started a thread in the Tips, Tricks, and Hacks forum if it's possible to route my MJ thru a DTA-310 for more power, I don't want to try it until I know it's safe to try and won't fry the MJ. Thread here:

http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/post37294.html#37294

Thanks.
halsport
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Two Line Phone & Wireless Phone Reply with quote

I have an AT & T 2 line wired phone and a 5.8 MH wireless phone they run into a 2 line splitter coming from the MJ.

1st line is my local phone and 2nd line is my MJ for long distance calls.

FYI It works great!
rockabillygirl
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: 2 phone on magic jack Reply with quote

I have my magic jack plugged into my vista 64 pc it's a two phone system. Uniden 5.8 ghz
ones a mastered desk wired phone and the other a slave cordless ,that doesn't need an actual phone cord , just an AC plug in the outlet. It works great all over my large house I even walk outside & get the mail. Still works fine.
My only problem with magic jack is unrelated . But i'll mention it anyway in case someone can help. My call waiting used to work but now when i put the first call on hold & they hear the nice music , talk to caller number two for a moment & go back to first call it hangs up on them. They hold fine , but when i click back it just straight up ends all calls.
It didn't do this at firs & I don't know why it started but magic jacks customer service is completely useless.
They are soooo very incompetent , it's hard to believe they can keep their jobs. it's like they really don't give a crap . & they never under stand anything you say. Every time i bring this up they think i mean three way calling & this has been going on for over a week. Can any one give me some advice?
sorry so long. thanks...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: