magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2014 MagicJack Plus release date (leaked)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xxxemofreakxxx
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: 2014 MagicJack Plus release date (leaked) Reply with quote

It will be released within the next 24 hours.
Current customers will get it for $29.95.
The price on magicJack.com will be $49.95.

From magicjack.com KB:

The NEW 2014 magicJack PLUS can be used by either plugging it into your modem/router or by plugging it into a USB port on your computer (PC or MAC).

Using the NEW 2014 magicJack PLUS with a computer

1. Plug the NEW magicJack PLUS into a USB port on your computer (PC or MAC)

A. If using a MAC, double click the NEW 2014magicJack PLUS icon that appears

B. If using a PC, the NEW 2014 magicJack PLUS software will load automatically

You are now ready to make and receive calls.

Using the NEW 2014 magicJack PLUS without a computer

1. Plug the NEW 2014 magicJack PLUS into the power adapter that has been provided

2. Plug the Ethernet cord that has been provided into the NEW 2014 magicJack PLUS

3. Plug the other end of the Ethernet cord into your modem our router

4. Plug a telephone into the NEW 2014 magicJack PLUS

5. Plug the power adapter into a power outlet

You are now ready to make and receive calls

To register the NEW 2014 magicJack PLUS:

Without a computer:

1. Plug the NEW 2014 magicJack PLUS into the power adapter that has been provided

2. Plug the Ethernet cord that has been provided into the NEW 2014 magicJack PLUS

3. Plug the other end of the Ethernet cord into your modem our router

4. Plug a telephone into the NEW 2014 magicJack PLUS

5. Plug the power adapter into a power outlet

6. Visit mjreg.com on your computer, tablet or smartphone

IMPORTANT: Your computer, tablet, or smartphone MUST be connected to the same network as the NEW 2014 magicJack PLUS to be able to register

With a computer:

1. Plug the NEW 2014magicJack PLUS into a USB port of your computer (PC or MAC)

a. If using a MAC, double click the NEW 2014 magicJack PLUS icon that appears

b. If using a PC, the NEW 2014 magicJack PLUS software will load automatically

c. Click on "Click Here To Register" in the left window of the NEW 2014 magicJack PLUS SoftPhone

2. Follow the on-screen instructions to register with your personal information. You will be given the option to select a number during this registration process
Pilot
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW.......................................... Question
redpepper
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it really a better deal or just intentional smoke and mirrors marketing and sales by magicJack?

Just a few subtle points worth debate and/or consideration when reviewing the new lower price point of $49.95 for a magicJack Plus:

1. As per magicJack.com website now only includes 6 months of service rather than 12 months. Let's say that is worth $15 less right there (roughly half of the current annual renewal of $29.95).

2. Free call forwarding is no longer provided with your magicJack Plus purchase. This has an overall dollar value when considering the needs of many users. If I recall magicJack were planning to sell this feature as an option for $10 to $20 a year.

3. Free calling to ALL numbers in the United States is not included. The list of local numbers that users must pay separately for to call in the United States is still increasing and new numbers being added to the list continue to catch existing users by complete surprise. This also has an overall dollar value when considering the needs of many users.

Looking at the above picture as a whole, the new magicJack Plus does NOT appear to be a better value than the magicJack Plus was at the previous price point of $69.95 when it was initially introduced over a year ago.
SteveHC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure looks to *me* like the TRULY new MJ hardware isn't ready for retail yet - OR it is but they still had plenty of MJ+'s left to get rid of - so for now they have simply released a new version of the current MJ+ with supposedly improved audio quality and with the new pricing strategy... can't say that I'm impressed...
Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, as usual MJ is playing with smoke, mirrors and numbers to fool people, the real cost for consumers is going up, up, up!
Until they release the WiFi version, they can change the name and put as many +'es behind the MJ+ as they like, it's still "just" a MJ+, not that the WiFi thing sounds like a big deal, just "a catchy new name".
SteveHC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pilot wrote:
Yes, as usual MJ is playing with smoke, mirrors and numbers to fool people, the real cost for consumers is going up, up, up!
Until they release the WiFi version, they can change the name and put as many +'es behind the MJ+ as they like, it's still "just" a MJ+, not that the WiFi thing sounds like a big deal, just "a catchy new name".

??? Save the hyperbole for some other time; there's no "smoke and mirrors" here. The cost to consumers is *not* going up with this product release, it's simply a product revision.
truthfreedompeace777
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: I ordered the 2014 new magicjack plus today Reply with quote

was told by customer chat rep that the device has WiFi connectivity and usb port.Considering that the CEO also clearly stated that the new plus has 2 usb ports and WiFi connectivity in the recent conference calls,I believe it will have 2 usb ports and WiFi connectivity.I will probably still opt for a wired Ethernet connection for the new device.I am more interested in the reason for the usb ports and really don't think the CEO and chat rep were lying about the new device having 2 usb ports.I could be wrong but I am curious to try out the new device so I ordered one.
SteveHC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: I ordered the 2014 new magicjack plus today Reply with quote

truthfreedompeace777 wrote:
was told by customer chat rep that the device has WiFi connectivity and usb port.Considering that the CEO also clearly stated that the new plus has 2 usb ports and WiFi connectivity in the recent conference calls,I believe it will have 2 usb ports and WiFi connectivity.I will probably still opt for a wired Ethernet connection for the new device.I am more interested in the reason for the usb ports and really don't think the CEO and chat rep were lying about the new device having 2 usb ports.I could be wrong but I am curious to try out the new device so I ordered one.

- Be sure to let us know the details on the device that you receive! The website, of course, merely shows a device that looks just like the current MJ+ and simply implies that it has better audio quality. Strange! Did you receive a discounted offer for it?

I don't think the company was lying about a vastly superior device coming, but I don't see how this one currently marketed as the "new 2014 MJ+" could be it, at least not based on what the website shows & tells us. I checked the just-revised FAQ's; no indication in them either regarding Wi-Fi or any other new capabilities.
Los Angeles jack
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The official website doesn't display the price nor does it say 6 months or 12 months of service. In the past I thought the price was shown, can't remember now.
truthfreedompeace777
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: 2014 new magicjack plus Reply with quote

Steve,I also found it strange when I looked at the picture on the homepage and looked at the revised FAQ regarding the new device.Then I decided I would ask a chat rep on the site about the usb port and wifi connectivity and order one anyway .Also,if you go to vocaltec website and listen to the recent conference calls in april and may,the CEO clearly states the new plus would have 2 usb ports and wifi connectivity.I believe him on this,although I could be wrong..I paid $53 and change.I think it may be a little while before they offer the discount price to existing customers which is how I remember it when the last plus came out.Will post about the new device after I hook it up.Have a good one.
SteveHC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 2014 new magicjack plus Reply with quote

truthfreedompeace777 wrote:
Steve,I also found it strange when I looked at the picture on the homepage and looked at the revised FAQ regarding the new device.Then I decided I would ask a chat rep on the site about the usb port and wifi connectivity and order one anyway .Also,if you go to vocaltec website and listen to the recent conference calls in april and may,the CEO clearly states the new plus would have 2 usb ports and wifi connectivity.I believe him on this,although I could be wrong..I paid $53 and change.I think it may be a little while before they offer the discount price to existing customers which is how I remember it when the last plus came out.Will post about the new device after I hook it up.Have a good one.

- Yeah I know all about the earlier corporate announcements - if you check the relevant posts here you'll find that I was the one who posted the info here as soon as the company released it Wink
truthfreedompeace777
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: new 2014 magicjack plus Reply with quote

I wish the company would just put out a press release on the new device tomorrow so we can stop with this guessing game!lol
xxxemofreakxxx
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the purpose of USB slots are for the USB WiFi Adapter
truthfreedompeace777
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for posting the pics of the new device.
SteveHC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Today's official corporate press release Reply with quote

http://www.menafn.com/e000f17b-7b03-43c7-862f-a82c8310568d/magicJack-Announces-Launch-of-New-MagicJack-Plus-Device?src=main

- Doesn't really say a whole lot more than we already know... which is not much... but to clarify:

As far as *I* know, the new unit is supposed to *already* have Wi-Fi accessibility built into it; the two USB ports are intended for hardware add-ons other than Wi-Fi (such as a 4g receiver/modem) and it's business application users who are anticipated to ultimately be the greatest beneficiaries of them.

I find the *lack* of additional previously-announced features to be interesting, but apparently the unit does have the new cpu and increased memory for future service upgrades.
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes wow, wonder whether Snowden was behind this leak....
truthfreedompeace777
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(from radioshack website)The new magicJack PLUS connects to the Internet using a Wi-Fi signal from a router or can be connected with an Ethernet cord. When connected via Ethernet, it can be used as a wireless router that can connect to other wireless devices. The new magicJack PLUS can connect to DECT phones wirelessly without the need of a phone cord to provide HDD voice over a traditional DECT cordless phone. Several DECT phones can be connected and it can support two simultaneous calls.

Connects to the Internet using a Wi-Fi signal or Ethernet cable
Connect to DECT phones wirelessly without the need of a phone cord
Make and receive local, long-distance and international calls using your high-speed Internet*
Create a new unique number or transfer your existing landline number or for a nominal fee
Includes Call Waiting, Caller ID, Voicemail and 911 emergency calling support
No contracts and no cancellation fees
No credit card or billing information required...................Note:Radioshack has now changed the product summary and removed the stated features"Connects to the Internet using a Wi-Fi signal or Ethernet cable" and "Connect to DECT phones wirelessly without the need of a phone cord".........On the hard plastic retail packaging that you will see in radioshack stores it more specifically states the device is WiFi and portable phone(DECT) READY using USB ports and SDIO slot.

Last edited by truthfreedompeace777 on Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
SteveHC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be interesting to see how well its Wi-Fi connectivity works with the various brands and models of routers. I didn't get the $29.95 upgrade offer in email (at least not yet), but I find the audio quality of my MJ+ to be perfectly fine and I think I'd prefer to stick with Ethernet connectivity. But if the audio output is LOUDER then it might be worth upgrading (but given the way the relevant FAQ on the website has been reworded it doesn't seem like it's any louder than the current MJ+).
truthfreedompeace777
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: I set up my new magicjack plus today Reply with quote

The two new selling points on the front of the packaging are..
.."Free bonus only with the new magicjack plus:Free text messaging and calls with the free magicjack app"..
..."Connect WiFi and Portable Phone(DECT) to USB/SDIO Slots on magicjack"..
To start making calls,I simply connected the new magicjack plus to my router and phone and plugged it in an electrical outlet.With this method, it used a random number in my area code,which is what the current beta version of the magicjack app does if you don't opt for your own new magicjack number or use your existing magicjack number.To use your existing magicjack number or get your own new magicjack number the packaging directs you to mjreg site to register it by plugging it into a usb port on your computer and it takes you through the registration process.
.. The section of the device labeled "WiFi" is where the SDIO slot is located.The 2 USB ports are on the opposite side.The device is obviously designed for use with add-on products.I am most interested in magicjack reselling 4G internet service,which the CEO claimed would happen in the second half of the year.It may or may not happen.I believe it will unless the company is bought out.I could be wrong.
....Regarding the app,my magicjack account lists the current beta version of the app due to expire on June 30,even though my plus account does not expire till much later.This leads me to believe the new paid version
of the app with text messaging will be out very soon.We should know by July .The fact that the new version of the app is included with the new plus is,I think,a great selling point.The current app works great on my kindle fire hd.
SteveHC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that they planned for using SDIO...

Do you notice any difference in audio quality?
Does it connect to your router wirelessly via Wi-Fi right now?

BTW - One can already obtain free or *very* cheap 4g transceiver/router service from Freedompop.com - but only if you happen to be in a Sprint 4g area.
truthfreedompeace777
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,I noticed less static and not sure about volume because I never had to turn up my Uniden cordless phone up very much with either device.Does not connect wirelessly via wifi right now,as this device is clearly designed for add-on products.I think you would agree when I say I prefer a wired ethernet connection.I thought about freedompop but they do not offer an unlimited internet plan which I need for home use.I think there are many people waiting for a company like magicjack or freedompop to start reselling unlimited 4g internet for $20 a month or less.Someone is bound to do it.I think magicjack and freedompop would make either good partners or good competitors.I wonder if magicjack will be reselling sprint/clearwire service as freedompop is already doing.Then there is that whole sprint/clearwire/softbank/dish soap opera,lol.
SteveHC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"truthfreedompeace777" - Thanks for the info.

Your observations regarding the audio make sense. I'm thinking that it probably has the *capability* of producing "high definition" telephone audio, but only when *both* call parties are using the device... and when using specially-designed high-def phones (which so far have not caught on in the marketplace). Consequently, when used alone (just one) and with a standard phone only slightly decreased background and/or "line" noise would result rather than significantly expanded audio dynamics.

The lack of built-in Wi-Fi connectivity is going to disappoint a lot of people, but Ethernet's generally less complicated (technologically), faster, and probably more reliable anyway.

I'm *assuming* that the unit's increased memory and processing power could/would ultimately be used to increase the number of calling features that could be provided and used even when the device is not connected to a computer - maybe even call log generation, automatic "pushed" firmware updates, whatever.

But all-in-all it sounds like this is *not* something that most current MJ+ users would need or even want to shell out $30-$50 for just to "upgrade" to it... unless it also comes with a significantly upgraded a.c. adapter, a better circuit board, and improved firmware that collectively produce greatly increased reliability and sustained "out-of-the-box" connectivity with virtually ALL routers.
cdwhit
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordered 2 of the new devices last night off the add on the soft phone screen. I never got an email, the add states it's a 48 hour promo and only 300,000 will be sold to current subscribers for the 29.95 deal.

They must be busy because as of 1 pm their time, it hasn't moved yet from their building.
DJDaveX
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: FALSE ADVERTISEMENT!!! Reply with quote

[b]JUST BOUGHT THE NEW 2014 MJ WITH WiFi PRINTED ON IT YESTARDAY ONLY TO FIND OUT IT DOES NOTHING WITH WiFi AS IT SAYS!!! TRIED THEIR CHAT TECH SUPPORT AND ALL THEY KEPT REPEATING WAS THAT I HAD TO HAVE IT PLUGGED INTO THE ROUTER IN ORDER FOR IT TO WORK!!! I RECORDED THE WHOLE CONVERSATION AND WILL TAKE IT ONE STEP FURTHER!!![/b]
SteveHC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdwhit wrote:
Ordered 2 of the new devices last night off the add on the soft phone screen. I never got an email, the add states it's a 48 hour promo and only 300,000 will be sold to current subscribers for the 29.95 deal.

They must be busy because as of 1 pm their time, it hasn't moved yet from their building.

- Once you receive them and try them out be sure to let us know what you think of them and, if you have been using the "old" MJ+, in what way(s) if any the new one is better than the "old" one.
SteveHC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: FALSE ADVERTISEMENT!!! Reply with quote

DJDaveX wrote:
JUST BOUGHT THE NEW 2014 MJ WITH WiFi PRINTED ON IT YESTARDAY ONLY TO FIND OUT IT DOES NOTHING WITH WiFi AS IT SAYS!!! TRIED THEIR CHAT TECH SUPPORT AND ALL THEY KEPT REPEATING WAS THAT I HAD TO HAVE IT PLUGGED INTO THE ROUTER IN ORDER FOR IT TO WORK!!! I RECORDED THE WHOLE CONVERSATION AND WILL TAKE IT ONE STEP FURTHER!!!

- You could have saved yourself a lot of aggravation by having looked here before you bought and found that the Wi-Fi capability is NOT built into the device but apparently will require some sort of add-on. I'm guessing that it will require the use of some sort of Wi-Fi device that would connect via the MJ+' new Secure Digital interface slot.
DJDaveX
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: FALSE ADVERTISEMENT!!! Reply with quote

[quote="SteveHC"][quote="DJDaveX"][b]JUST BOUGHT THE NEW 2014 MJ WITH WiFi PRINTED ON IT YESTARDAY ONLY TO FIND OUT IT DOES NOTHING WITH WiFi AS IT SAYS!!! TRIED THEIR CHAT TECH SUPPORT AND ALL THEY KEPT REPEATING WAS THAT I HAD TO HAVE IT PLUGGED INTO THE ROUTER IN ORDER FOR IT TO WORK!!! I RECORDED THE WHOLE CONVERSATION AND WILL TAKE IT ONE STEP FURTHER!!![/b][/quote]

- You could have saved yourself a lot of aggravation by having looked here before you bought and found that the Wi-Fi capability is NOT built into the device but apparently will require some sort of add-on. I'm guessing that it will require the use of some sort of Wi-Fi device that would connect via the MJ+' new Secure Digital interface slot.[/quote]

You`re right. I just registered here today and will probabbly try to register in more forums so that others are not fooled by all that False advertisment on the box. Nowhere on their website nor on the internet does it state what is needed or how that WiFi works, not even their "Tech Support".
SteveHC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: FALSE ADVERTISEMENT!!! Reply with quote

DJDaveX wrote:
You`re right. I just registered here today and will probabbly try to register in more forums so that others are not fooled by all that False advertisment on the box. Nowhere on their website nor on the internet does it state what is needed or how that WiFi works, not even their "Tech Support".

- Exactly. And this website right here is probably the best one on the 'net when it comes to magicJack.
sslavik
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: 2014 29.95 deal, is this an upgrade? Reply with quote

when I bought my plus with a similar deal, the new one and the old one were tied to the same account, meaning I couldn't give my dad the old one. Same deal here?
truthfreedompeace777
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: They should be two different accounts. Reply with quote

sslavik,when you register the new one you can transfer your current number to the new one.Then you should be able to change the number on your old one and give it to your dad.

Last edited by truthfreedompeace777 on Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
sslavik
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Numbers yes, accounts... Reply with quote

Last time I was able to port the number to the new one and give a new number to the old one. I had two "devices" but they were in one account. Are you sure this $29.95 deal will be a separate account? Anyone actually done this?
truthfreedompeace777
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sslavik,sorry I was confusing the 2 different device subscriptions as 2 different accounts.I have not yet given one of my old ones away to someone else to have them register it in their name,I may just give my old plus to my mom and pay her yearly fee in my account.

Last edited by truthfreedompeace777 on Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dougb462
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought mine at Radio Shack here in Orlando . $ 49.99 on sale until this Sat . I figured out you need to buy a SDIO card but wich Class ? I am still trying to figure it out .
Pilot

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: FALSE ADVERTISEMENT!!! Reply with quote

DJDaveX wrote:
SteveHC wrote:
DJDaveX wrote:
JUST BOUGHT THE NEW 2014 MJ WITH WiFi PRINTED ON IT YESTARDAY ONLY TO FIND OUT IT DOES NOTHING WITH WiFi AS IT SAYS!!! TRIED THEIR CHAT TECH SUPPORT AND ALL THEY KEPT REPEATING WAS THAT I HAD TO HAVE IT PLUGGED INTO THE ROUTER IN ORDER FOR IT TO WORK!!! I RECORDED THE WHOLE CONVERSATION AND WILL TAKE IT ONE STEP FURTHER!!!

- You could have saved yourself a lot of aggravation by having looked here before you bought and found that the Wi-Fi capability is NOT built into the device but apparently will require some sort of add-on. I'm guessing that it will require the use of some sort of Wi-Fi device that would connect via the MJ+' new Secure Digital interface slot.

As I posted earlier in this thread:
Obviously MagicJack smoke & mirrors in the "air"!
doonboggle
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Confused............ Reply with quote

There's so many postings here that I cannot get a grasp on what the main issue is. Would appreciate it simply put, rather than the going back and forth about other issues ... please .... from a senior fellow.

We have MJ PLUS for about a year now, and very happy; 2.oo+- per month sure beats TimeWarner 29.00 per month.

Got an email today from them ... I presume ... having to do with a new update that offers louder voice sound ... which I need.

Any idea if it is part of what this discussion is about .... and exactly what is it???

Thanks
SteveHC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"DOONBOGGLE" - If I recall, the email and sales pitch says that it supposedly offers improved audio quality and does NOT specifically state that it is "louder" than your current MJ+. A few folks who have been using the original MJ+ and have tried out the new one have stated that they detect NO increase in volume. So if you are looking specifically for increased volume, the new MJ+ apparently doesn't provide it and so you'll have to focus on either getting a *phone* that is louder than the one you are currently using or a separate phone amplifier.
doonboggle
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Was what I thought ..... and have already changed phones.
Thanks again.

SteveHC wrote:
"DOONBOGGLE" - If I recall, the email and sales pitch says that it supposedly offers improved audio quality and does NOT specifically state that it is "louder" than your current MJ+. A few folks who have been using the original MJ+ and have tried out the new one have stated that they detect NO increase in volume. So if you are looking specifically for increased volume, the new MJ+ apparently doesn't provide it and so you'll have to focus on either getting a *phone* that is louder than the one you are currently using or a separate phone amplifier.
greenman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I learned:
  1. You must use the link from the email you received for it to be $30. Within 48 hours.
  2. You buy the new device for $30. It replaces your existing device and gives you six months to replace the six months of existing service still on your old device.
  3. Your old device becomes a paperweight.
  4. The new device will work exactly like the old device until the new firmware comes out.
  5. The new firmware will allow the device to use the internet capacity of your home wifi, your ethernet as usual and your G4 phone internet capability through either USB or SDIO port - not sure which, maybe either.
  6. What you get is a replacement of your existing device for $30. You don't get six additional months of service - you get six replacement months for those you lose when your existing device becomes useless.
  7. magicJack rep "Drew" emphatically suggests they will not be offering a competing G4 or G3 or other competing internet service, even though he plainly used language during the chat that suggests they will.
  8. You don't have to buy the new device. You can stay with your old device if you're fine using it.
  9. Your new device will behave the same way you use your current device until some time before the end of this year. The device will likely be upgraded by firmware to be able to do the new things.

View the whole mj rep conversation here.

Last edited by greenman on Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
SteveHC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"greenman" - Precisely. But do not count on MJ providing any firmware/feature upgrade(s) by whatever date or timeframe they tell you - the company is NOTORIOUS for *never* adhering to their own stated deadlines in that regard.
Jacked_Up
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Don't do it, get smart people!!! Reply with quote

Ok, let's get real.

OBI 100 or 110 at Amazon. Includes a way to plug in your current magic jack line so all numbers can ring on the same phone, giving you an easy way to utilize your magicjack until that old junker expires or breaks down like mine did.

New Obi 100 for only 39 plus free shipping= (one free googleVoice line).
New Obi 110 for only 49 plus free shipping= (two free googleVoice lines).

OR the new 2014 magicjack for $38.90 (29.95 PLUS 8.95 shipping)
THEN pay jack a bunch more after 6 months! NO WAY! : )
NOTE: In the email solicitation, "jack" doesn't even say how much you are going to owe him in six months- so who knows how much your new jack servie is gonna cost you the coming years???

You do the math people. It's a no brainier.

Not only that, google has been generous enough to offer their free service for several years now, and it's guaranteed free until at least the end of each year, and believe me they can afford to keep it going for many years to come- (mainly because they do charge a penny a minute for overseas calls).

GoogleVoice service is TOP NOTCH!. Way better magic jack could ever dream of in my experience. EXTREMELY RELIABLE- I no longer get dropped calls or annoying echos. (There is a call limit of 90 minutes I think, but it rarely comes into play, just redial or get off the phone at that point!) Every feature you can possibly imagine, even unlimited texting straight from your computer keyboard and word translated (readable and voicemail), phone messages straight to your gmail inbox.

If you want free wi-fi magicjack on your cellphone, use the magicapp for your iphone or android currently only $10 bucks a year- that's a great deal wherever you have wi-fi. Other than than, forget it.

If you can't live without your existing jack number, (I love having a new number that call spammers don't know), then you can always first transfer your jack number to a cell service and then to google. It will cost you a bit of hassle to do that, but it's well worth it if you can't live without your existing number.

You are now set for many years to come! Absolute best bang for buck in my opinion, what else can I say! : )

(Check your free gmail /googleVoice account for availability of local numbers). (Note: no 911, use your cell for emergency). Easy peasy!

Enjoy Google Voice and OBi Talk! YEEHAW!

Best to all, and good luck.
SteveHC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't do it, get smart people!!! Reply with quote

Jacked_Up wrote:
...In the email solicitation, "jack" doesn't even say how much you are going to owe him in six months-[/b] so who knows how much your new jack service is gonna cost you the coming years???

- ???

They've made it pretty clear that price remains at $20/year for a 5-year subscription and $30/year for a 1-year subscription.
Jacked_Up
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Don't do it, get smart people!!! Reply with quote

SteveHC wrote:

They've made it pretty clear that price remains at $20/year for a 5-year subscription and $30/year for a 1-year subscription.

Thanks Steve, not a word is stated in the email I received so thanks for confirming that. When I started out with jack it was $20 a year, and now it's $30, so they are known for raising prices at will.

They also cut off call forwarding for me without notice when they stated it was a "feature", and tech support lied about it continuously, saying it was unavailable at the moment, they were working to get it back, etc. The usual baloney.. actually the only feature I really used, so you see where I am coming from.

Forward thinking, my friend, forward thinking. New pricing is bound to roll in sooner or later, that much you can be certain about.

I assume you are affiliated?... perhaps wanting to keep the business alive when it's not such a great choice anymore. Why else would your signature tout using a "standard magic jack" in this day and age?

But I could be wrong, forgive me if that's the case..just my humble opinion. These things were great in their day for saving money, no question.

The new "plus" version doesn't seem very reliable, the one I got didn't last very long, only a year or so.. so again you have to pay shipping and replacement fees when they fail unexpectedly.

Perhaps they forged the way, but competition has beat them out, many other better choices these days, not just the one I mention.

Best to you..and say hello to Mr. Carlo and his cute dogs if you will. : )
slsmag
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't do it, get smart people!!! Reply with quote

Stop confusing people. Google Voice has NOTHING to do with OBI. Google Voice is a FREE service available from Google (in the US). It's a great service and an unbelievable value (free) - but has nothing whatsoever to do with OBI.

The FACT is that while the OBI products may serve some people's needs well, it is NOTHING like MagicJack. The OBI products REQUIRE that you subscribe to another company's products to get a phone number and service. That's fine for the technically adept and for geekers. It's NOT fine for the average non-techy person who wants to plug something into their router and have telephone service.

THAT is what Magic Jack does: Plug & Play - one-stop service.

The Google Voice system is terrific (and free), but the non-technically adept user needs to beware that you must be comfortable at setting up, and managing the system via the Google Voice web site in order to use all of it's advanced features. It's not something most seniors will be comfortable doing (or even able to do without the help of a teenager).

In other words - the Magic Jack works 'straight-out-of-the-box'. Nothing additional needed. AND it too, like OBI, can be used with the free Google Voice service. (I have two of my Magic Numbers forwarded to Google Voice numbers).

Anyone using a VoIp system as a home phone needs to be aware that the OBI boxes do not support e911 emergency services - and neither does Google Voice. Magic Jack DOES support e911.

OBI boxes REQUIRE the use of a third-party service for use with a telephone number - either a SIP account or a Google Voice account. While the Google Voice system is currently free in the US, Google announced that it may begin charging for the service in the future. Most reliable SIP services already charge.

Jacked_Up wrote:
Ok, let's get real.

OBI 100 or 110 at Amazon. Includes a way to plug in your current magic jack line so all numbers can ring on the same phone, giving you an easy way to utilize your magicjack until that old junker expires or breaks down like mine did.

New Obi 100 for only 39 plus free shipping= (one free googleVoice line).
New Obi 110 for only 49 plus free shipping= (two free googleVoice lines).

OR the new 2014 magicjack for $38.90 (29.95 PLUS 8.95 shipping)
THEN pay jack a bunch more after 6 months! NO WAY! : )
NOTE: In the email solicitation, "jack" doesn't even say how much you are going to owe him in six months- so who knows how much your new jack servie is gonna cost you the coming years???

You do the math people. It's a no brainier.

Not only that, google has been generous enough to offer their free service for several years now, and it's guaranteed free until at least the end of each year, and believe me they can afford to keep it going for many years to come- (mainly because they do charge a penny a minute for overseas calls).

GoogleVoice service is TOP NOTCH!. Way better magic jack could ever dream of in my experience. EXTREMELY RELIABLE- I no longer get dropped calls or annoying echos. (There is a call limit of 90 minutes I think, but it rarely comes into play, just redial or get off the phone at that point!) Every feature you can possibly imagine, even unlimited texting straight from your computer keyboard and word translated (readable and voicemail), phone messages straight to your gmail inbox.

If you want free wi-fi magicjack on your cellphone, use the magicapp for your iphone or android currently only $10 bucks a year- that's a great deal wherever you have wi-fi. Other than than, forget it.

If you can't live without your existing jack number, (I love having a new number that call spammers don't know), then you can always first transfer your jack number to a cell service and then to google. It will cost you a bit of hassle to do that, but it's well worth it if you can't live without your existing number.

You are now set for many years to come! Absolute best bang for buck in my opinion, what else can I say! : )

(Check your free gmail /googleVoice account for availability of local numbers). (Note: no 911, use your cell for emergency). Easy peasy!

Enjoy Google Voice and OBi Talk! YEEHAW!

Best to all, and good luck.
slsmag
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Confused............ Reply with quote

Doonboggle: see this thread for info on volume: http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/low-volume-problem-solved-t6997.html

As far as the thread here, it is *mostly* about the features of the 2014 MJ+... which adds WiFi ABILITY by adding a new SDIO port on the Magic Jack.

What that means is that with the 2014 version, you can buy an SDIO card (Best Buy, eBay, etc) and you will then be able to use WiFi to connect the new 2014 Magic Jack to your own wireless router or computer instead of using a cable. It's not a revolution - it's an evolution, adding wireless convenience so that you don't have to connect to your router (or computer) via a cable.

The technology used is exactly the same technology as cameras now use to connect via WiFi. On the hardware side, it's just like using an 'EyeFi' card on a camera that doesn't have built-in wifi.

Hope that helps.

doonboggle wrote:
There's so many postings here that I cannot get a grasp on what the main issue is. Would appreciate it simply put, rather than the going back and forth about other issues ... please .... from a senior fellow.

We have MJ PLUS for about a year now, and very happy; 2.oo+- per month sure beats TimeWarner 29.00 per month.

Got an email today from them ... I presume ... having to do with a new update that offers louder voice sound ... which I need.

Any idea if it is part of what this discussion is about .... and exactly what is it???

Thanks
greenman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: SDIO Card - passing the buck Reply with quote

The fact that SDIO cards are small, and that there is enough room for a slot for the same makes me think about design and planning by YMax:

YMax didn't want to include wifi in the package directly. The magicJack plus is already small. The additional expense and size needed for decent wifi on board might also warrant an external antenna that would increase the package size and customer cost, while not significantly increasing the overall reliability of wifi. When wifi doesn't work, for any reason including poor understanding by the customer, the package will be more likely to be returned. When wifi is outside the purview of the magicJack plus and passed to the SDIO card maker, magicJack can simply say, "Oh, well. You bought an inferior SDIO wifi card. It's not our fault your card isn't working with our SDIO-compliant device."

Additionally, less-expensive SDIO cards don't have very good range. The more expensive ones might have better range, but now you're paying as much if not more for the SDIO card as you are for your mJ+ phone service.

SDIO might be reasonable if you're traveling, you need a desk-style phone and you want to connect your desk-style phone to a 4G mifi. (Chat support suggests not using 3G.) So now you're spending extra for a separate 4G plan as well. This would be a great way to borrow an office for an hour to set up an identity scam inside an existing brick and mortar business, sort of like Walter Matthau in the 1963 film Charade. The question arises: for the same amount of money, why not just buy a cell phone?

This will not work with existing cafe hotspots that need to have you accept their policy through a standard browser before you can access any other available wifi services. Some hotspots already block the mJ+ ports.

It's great that sound and connection are probably better on the 2014 device. Most people are probably not going to buy the SDIO card. There really should be on-board wifi - not an external card. Ymax probably couldn't offer the product for its current price point with on-board wifi.
slsmag
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: SDIO Card - passing the buck Reply with quote

I think you made your own point. Why add on-board Wi-Fi if few people will actually use it and the addition increases the retail cost and cost of support?

SDIO functionality makes perfect sense. Particularly for the minority of users who have their routers mounted in places that would not be close enough or in the right room/place to connect a telephone to their Magic Jack.

The choice to add SDIO functionality is win/win for YMax and consumers.

greenman wrote:
There really should be on-board wifi - not an external card.
SteveHC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't do it, get smart people!!! Reply with quote

Jacked_Up wrote:
When I started out with jack it was $20 a year, and now it's $30, so they are known for raising prices at will...

They also cut off call forwarding for me without notice when they stated it was a "feature"...

...New pricing is bound to roll in sooner or later, that much you can be certain about.

I assume you are affiliated?... perhaps wanting to keep the business alive when it's not such a great choice anymore. Why else would your signature tout using a "standard magic jack" in this day and age? ...say hello to Mr. Carlo and his cute dogs if you will. : )

A) It's still $20/year if you prepay for 5 years.

B) I agree that their handling of call forwarding service has been TERRIBLE.

C) Pricing and availability of ALL companies' products and services changes EVERY DAY. That is the nature of free enterprise; if you don't like it and prefer that everything always stay the same consider relocating to North Korea.

D) As far as your final comments go - No I am NOT in any way affiliated with the company other than being a customer, and in making the final comments that you did you are acting and speaking as the Internet TROLL that you are... and I do not feed trolls. So sayonara, troll.
slsmag
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't do it, get smart people!!! Reply with quote

It would helpful/useful to the guy if you pointed out that it is a common, courteous and helpful practice for those using hardware/software specific bulletin boards (like this one) to list in their bulletin board 'signature' the hardware/software they personally use. :)

SteveHC wrote:

D) As far as your final comments go - No I am NOT in any way affiliated with the company other than being a customer, and in making the final comments that you did you are acting and speaking as the Internet TROLL that you are... and I do not feed trolls. So sayonara, troll.
SteveHC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't do it, get smart people!!! Reply with quote

slsmag wrote:
It would helpful/useful to the guy if you pointed out that it is a common, courteous and helpful practice for those using hardware/software specific bulletin boards (like this one) to list in their bulletin board 'signature' the hardware/software they personally use. Smile

SteveHC wrote:

- This particular guy doesn't care; based on his previous posts I can honestly say that he's just being a genuine troll.

I do enough writing on a LOT of websites throughout the 'net such that I have no difficulty in nor problem with publicly identifying and then subsequently refusing to feed specifically identified trolls. They waste too many people's time, deliberately post inflammatory comments just for the sake of being nasty and/or argumentative, and in general do that simply because they think it somehow "supports" whatever their bizarre "agenda" happens to be. I have NO patience for them whatsoever (as you by now might have guessed LOL). But I generally identify and respond to a troll only once, and from then on totally ignore it.
greenman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: SDIO Card - passing the buck Reply with quote

slsmag wrote:
I think you made your own point. Why add on-board Wi-Fi if few people will actually use it and the addition increases the retail cost and cost of support?

SDIO functionality makes perfect sense. Particularly for the minority of users who have their routers mounted in places that would not be close enough or in the right room/place to connect a telephone to their Magic Jack.

The choice to add SDIO functionality is win/win for YMax and consumers.

greenman wrote:
There really should be on-board wifi - not an external card.
Point taken! I guess price point does make a difference, and making the possibility of wifi available is better than not. Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: