magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

24.99 Comcast internet W/free basic cable

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dz20854
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: 24.99 Comcast internet W/free basic cable Reply with quote

...per month for 1 year, now thru June 12, 2009.

The only catch is that the internet is only at "economy" speeds. Comcast economy speed was adjusted up to 1mb on Nov. 24, 2008, according to a press release, but informally (with a "wink") Comcast reps are saying I will get the 6mb anyway. However, the various Comcast reps have been inconsistent on this issue.

Does anyone know for sure what the Comcast economy speed is? Is it higher than the official rate, but not advertised as such so as not to upset the higher paying customers?

Also, is 1mb enough to run a MagicJack?
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comcast is, at least in our area, such a catastrophic company that the only way I would go with them if they offered the service for free plus cash back( that cash back would have to be up front in the form of a money order or cashier's check drawn on a local bank).. These days you cannot really rely on anything Comcast or ATT reps/techs tell you over the phone (or in person). One reason why I am rather relaxed about magic jack's / Ymax questionable business practices is my experience with the "big guys".
dz20854
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've completed the switch to Comcast, and can confirm that I'm getting the 6mb service (tests at about 5mb during peak use time of day). So the rep. was correct-- the lowest nominal speed that a Comcast customer can get is 6mb, even if they sign up for the "economy internet" service that specifies a lower speed!

So here's what I got for $24.99/ mo. for a year:
(1) 6mb internet (works really great with MagicJack),
(2) free "limited basic" cable TV-- I'm actually getting some ninty channels, in the range of channel 2 through channel 98, which used to be called "expanded". Is the old expanded the new limited? And I don't need an additonal cable box/ remote!
(3) free installation and activation of both. I found out that these costs are negotiable.

I'm renting a cable modem for an extra $3/ mo. I am able to use my Verizon FIOS Actiontec M1424WR wireless router (which is high quality) together with the cable modem by following the instructions on this Actiontec link:
http://www.actiontec.com/support/product_details.php?pid=188&typ=all#q24

I may buy a cable modem to save the $3/ mo. fee, but may wait until the new DOCSIS 3.0 standard becomes more reasonable in price. I'm staying away from the combo modem/router units because people all over the internet advise against them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: