magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2nd magicjack shipped in error

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nchudes1
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: 2nd magicjack shipped in error Reply with quote

they sent me a second one by mistake. does anyone know what will happen if i plug it in? will I end up creating a second account that they will bill me for ? if that will happen, I won't plug it in

Please advise
LikeMagic
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the right thing, chat with CSR and tell them what happens. They may even let you keep the device or instruct you to return the device ... either way, you'll sleep better knowing you did the right thing Smile
Stewart
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJ typically charges your credit card about 30 days after they receive your order, whether the device is registered or not. Depending on the nature of the mistake, either you or someone else (who didn't receive his unit) will be billed. If you have trouble, you can always dispute the charge with your credit card company. IMO you have a better case if you can honestly say that you are not using it. In most states, you are not obligated to return something that you did not order.
nchudes1
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the replies guys but that's now what I asked, I asked if i plug it in, from a tech standpoint, will i be able to use it, or wil they see that it's a different magic jack altogether and then bill me if i pick a phone number?
Stewart
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new MJ has a different serial number and if you plug it in, you will need to set up a new phone number for it, and the service will be independent of your other MJ. Unless you do a lot of work, the two MJs will need to be on different computers, if you want to use both at the same time. IMO, whether you activate the new device or not, either you or some other person will be charged.
LikeMagic
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically, it will work and you'll be able to use it. I don't think MJ keeps track of MJ device serial numbers that they sold as they sold to many retailers, distributors, etc. The moment someone plugs the device in and registers with an email address, MJ server would create an authorized account (subscriber profile) on their MJ subscriber database server and that's when they start the 1-year MJ service on the account.

However, if MJ sent the device to you (even as a mistake) it's very likely that they already recorded the device's serial number with your email (when you bought the first device) and had your credit card info, so they would automatically charge it after 30-day trial period.

Last edited by LikeMagic on Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
nchudes1
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay that totally makes sense and the kind of answer I was looking for, so now I have another question, is there a way to plug in the second magicjack, and use the same phone number as I have on the first magicjack and not pay for a second line, but use it as a spare
LikeMagic
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nchudes1 wrote:
okay that totally makes sense and the kind of answer I was looking for, so now I have another question, is there a way to plug in the second magicjack, and use the same phone number as I have on the first magicjack and not pay for a second line, but use it as a spare

No!
nchudes1
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why not?
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nchudes1,

I'll tell you one thing nchudes1, you are a die-hard.

If you keep it you are most likely going to end up paying for it. Also each MJ device has a unique serial number and you can not assign the same telephone number to two different MagicJacks.

Unless you just want two magic jacks and you want to pay for them you had better call MJ and tell them what happened then call your credit card people and tell them what happened.

As one other poster said if something is sent to you by mistake you are under no obligation to return it (in most states) but if MJ bills your credit card you are at the very least going to spend a lot of time on the MJ Chat and the phone with your credit card people trying to get it all cleared up unless you just want to pay for it and use it as a second line.

"No free lunch"
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a funny thread... I always say the most expensive way to get something is to try and get it for free! I don't know the technical ins-and-outs of the MJ service, but I have to believe that anything with a unique number attached to it, (i.e., serial number, phone number, etc.) is going to be traceable and therefore billable.

Or, conversely, if MJ is the gatekeeper of the phone numbers, wouldn't they also be able to turn off the service for a device that didn't show proper registration? Entertaining read, though.
dan
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either pay for the device or return it! This is how MJ generates revenue. Besides those points, isnt it just the right thing to do?
LikeMagic
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan wrote:
Either pay for the device or return it! This is how MJ generates revenue. Besides those points, isnt it just the right thing to do?

This "dan" sounds like the one in "Dan Needs To Hire Me" Laughing Laughing
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LikeMagic,

Now wouldn't that be a kick in the pants if it really was Mr MagicJack himself.

I think if I was as successful a business man as he apparently is I think I would find something a little more fun to do like fishing in the Bahama's.

Makes you think twice before you say anything too offensive toward MagicJack. Laughing

PS - But it does have its good side in that their is no doubt that our wants and complaints are reaching the Top-Dog if it is really "The Man".
dildog
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan wrote:

No Dan, you are wrong once again. MJ generates revenue by starting Charities and then pocketing the donations.
JohnnyFreightTRAIN
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you will be charged.
Considering they are telling us to buy one for our friends, etc.
How would they trace your email to the serial number if you gave it away to your friends?
And plus, you don't have to use a credit card for the magicjack, because its all prepaid.

But you should go on tech chat (or better yet, contact Dan himself) and tell them anyways.
Because it's the right thing to do, they are offering you all this for 20 bucks.
And I'm pretty sure they are going to let you keep it, because I don't think they are going to pay for you to ship it back to them.

And since you did not order it in the first place, I doubt you're going to offer to pay for shipping. I certainly wouldn't.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: