Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
2nd MJ
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
KMNugent52
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 14 Nov 2008
Posts: 100
Location: N.E. Georgia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: 2nd MJ

Dear Forum:
I recently purchased a gen 4 MJ and I want to add it to my existing account. Is there an option to do so when you plug in the dongle or is it just a matter of creating a new account?
TIA
-Kevin N.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tsmith
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 18 Jan 2010
Posts: 420
Location: Utah

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject:

Been a while since I've done it, but I have 2 MJs under the same account. You'll be given the chance to add the new MJ to your existing account during registration. Be sure you have the correct email and password for your account.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
KMNugent52
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 14 Nov 2008
Posts: 100
Location: N.E. Georgia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject:

Thanks Tom, I appreciate the reply.
I'm curious to see if the gen 4 is going to be noticeably better.
Thanks, again,
-Kevin N.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tsmith
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 18 Jan 2010
Posts: 420
Location: Utah

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject:

You're welcome Kevin. I'm thinking about getting a 4th Gen also to replace one that's about to expire. I'm hearing some good reports on it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me


Joined: 27 Feb 2008
Posts: 701

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I'm curious to see if the gen 4 is going to be noticeably better.


Like many others, I'll also be anxious to learn what your experience is with the new MJ.

If it is noticeably better, I might bite the bullet and get one. Thanks!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nugrl
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 01 Dec 2009
Posts: 354

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject:

tsmith wrote:
Been a while since I've done it, but I have 2 MJs under the same account. You'll be given the chance to add the new MJ to your existing account during registration. Be sure you have the correct email and password for your account.


When you added this 2nd MJ to your existing account, was it given the same phone number or a different number? I was just curious because I also have two MJ's here but they are under different accounts with 2 different #'s. I have one here that is due to renew the end of next month and I would love to replace that MJ dongle with a 4th Gen, but I read on here when you do that you actually lose the years worth of service, in kind of an exchange for them to port your number to the new dongle. Isn't that right?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tsmith
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 18 Jan 2010
Posts: 420
Location: Utah

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject:

It was a different number under the same account name. Now I can choose between either number to update an email address, renew, etc.

Before you plug the new dongle in, you'll need to contact MJ support and ask them to port your existing number to the new dongle you're about to activate. I do believe you lose the remainder of the year's service when the old dongle is deactivated.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Nugrl
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 01 Dec 2009
Posts: 354

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject:

tsmith wrote:
I do believe you lose the remainder of the year's service when the old dongle is deactivated.


Ok let me get this straight, I thought you lose the entire upcoming year that you would normally get if you just activated the new dongle and got another new number with it. Is that not what happens?

I think I remember reading that someone said it is kind of their payment for porting your old number to the new MJ dongle? right?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tsmith
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 18 Jan 2010
Posts: 420
Location: Utah

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject:

I think we're saying the same thing. I believe you would lose whatever time remains with your 3rd Gen dongle if you port that number to the 4th Gen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei


Joined: 18 Mar 2010
Posts: 1548

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject:

tsmith wrote:
I think we're saying the same thing. I believe you would lose whatever time remains with your 3rd Gen dongle if you port that number to the 4th Gen.


I think it's the other way around, per a conversation I had with customer service a few weeks ago. You only get the time left on the third generation when you transfer to a fourth. They specifically told me if I bought a new unit in November and my year was up in December, despite spending $40 on the new unit, I would have to renew again in a month. No new 12 months if you want to keep your number. A week left? Another $20 renewal in a week.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nugrl
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 01 Dec 2009
Posts: 354

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject:

nailgunner wrote:
tsmith wrote:
I think we're saying the same thing. I believe you would lose whatever time remains with your 3rd Gen dongle if you port that number to the 4th Gen.


I think it's the other way around, per a conversation I had with customer service a few weeks ago. You only get the time left on the third generation when you transfer to a fourth. They specifically told me if I bought a new unit in November and my year was up in December, despite spending $40 on the new unit, I would have to renew again in a month. No new 12 months if you want to keep your number. A week left? Another $20 renewal in a week.


I thought that is what I remembered reading before, that you would in fact lose that year that you would have received with the new dongle if you would have taken a new number with it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tsmith
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 18 Jan 2010
Posts: 420
Location: Utah

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject:

So much for my logic today, eh? Thanks nailgunner for clarifying. Sorry to have mislead you nugrl.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei


Joined: 18 Mar 2010
Posts: 1548

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject:

Nugrl wrote:
nailgunner wrote:
tsmith wrote:
I think we're saying the same thing. I believe you would lose whatever time remains with your 3rd Gen dongle if you port that number to the 4th Gen.


I think it's the other way around, per a conversation I had with customer service a few weeks ago. You only get the time left on the third generation when you transfer to a fourth. They specifically told me if I bought a new unit in November and my year was up in December, despite spending $40 on the new unit, I would have to renew again in a month. No new 12 months if you want to keep your number. A week left? Another $20 renewal in a week.


I thought that is what I remembered reading before, that you would in fact lose that year that you would have received with the new dongle if you would have taken a new number with it.


Yea, we had another discussion in another thread in here somewhere. I'm getting ready to renew soon, and wanted to try the 4th gen, and wanted to double check what someone had posted, and CS confirmed. They don't always have the right answers, so I clarified as best I could, even brought up the one week example and they confirmed it. So I double checked what they showed as my renewal date, because even being off a day under this scenario of transferring a number to a new unit could cost you another $20.

And btw, they told me it didn't matter if you were buying a new unit because the old one failed. You still only got the OLD time left on the NEW unit if you want to keep your old number. You have to be careful with these guys.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei


Joined: 18 Mar 2010
Posts: 1548

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject:

tsmith wrote:
So much for my logic today, eh? Thanks nailgunner for clarifying. Sorry to have mislead you nugrl.


Anytime. It's nice to actually have an answer for once. I know very little of the technical crap, so my free time is spent trying to rile up Amigo_boy on DSLReports. Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nugrl
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 01 Dec 2009
Posts: 354

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject:

tsmith wrote:
So much for my logic today, eh? Thanks nailgunner for clarifying. Sorry to have mislead you nugrl.


that's ok, I was just getting excited thinking that maybe something changed for the better for once......
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nugrl
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 01 Dec 2009
Posts: 354

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject:

nailgunner wrote:

so my free time is spent trying to rile up Amigo_boy on DSLReports. Cool



And that you do!!! It makes for interesting reading.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei


Joined: 18 Mar 2010
Posts: 1548

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject:

Nugrl wrote:
tsmith wrote:
So much for my logic today, eh? Thanks nailgunner for clarifying. Sorry to have mislead you nugrl.


that's ok, I was just getting excited thinking that maybe something changed for the better for once......


It might have changed. My chat with them was at least 2 weeks ago. I wouldn't bet $20 on it though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei


Joined: 18 Mar 2010
Posts: 1548

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Nugrl wrote:
nailgunner wrote:

so my free time is spent trying to rile up Amigo_boy on DSLReports. Cool



And that you do!!! It makes for interesting reading.


Look elsewhere on here and you will notice that the 800-CALL-FCC blocked number isn't a valid number, it's 888-CALL-FCC and works fine. He filed a formal complaint with the FCC about MJ blocking a non-existent FCC number. I haven't stopped giggling for a half an hour on this one. I am trying SOOOOO hard not to get really really smart-alec over there, but as of this minute, I'm biting my tongue.

The 800-CALL-FCC number was apparently owned by a sex chat line lady who bought up 800 numbers that would spell stuff (yes that is more giggling you hear from me). Which means he filed a complaint that MJ is blocking a sex chat line, if the number is still active (more giggling...morphing into side splitting laughter). I would see if it's active, but MJ is blocking it and I don't want sex line numbers showing up on my cell phone.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nugrl
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 01 Dec 2009
Posts: 354

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject:

nailgunner wrote:
Nugrl wrote:
nailgunner wrote:

so my free time is spent trying to rile up Amigo_boy on DSLReports. Cool



And that you do!!! It makes for interesting reading.


Look elsewhere on here and you will notice that the 800-CALL-FCC blocked number isn't a valid number, it's 888-CALL-FCC and works fine. He filed a formal complaint with the FCC about MJ blocking a non-existent FCC number. I haven't stopped giggling for a half an hour on this one. I am trying SOOOOO hard not to get really really smart-alec over there, but as of this minute, I'm biting my tongue.


well I tried the 888-CALL-FCC and it worked with my MJ #, but the 800-CALL-FCC did not. I got the famous 3 fast busy, busy, busy......
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei


Joined: 18 Mar 2010
Posts: 1548

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject:

Nugrl wrote:
nailgunner wrote:
Nugrl wrote:
nailgunner wrote:

so my free time is spent trying to rile up Amigo_boy on DSLReports. Cool



And that you do!!! It makes for interesting reading.


Look elsewhere on here and you will notice that the 800-CALL-FCC blocked number isn't a valid number, it's 888-CALL-FCC and works fine. He filed a formal complaint with the FCC about MJ blocking a non-existent FCC number. I haven't stopped giggling for a half an hour on this one. I am trying SOOOOO hard not to get really really smart-alec over there, but as of this minute, I'm biting my tongue.


well I tried the 888-CALL-FCC and it worked with my MJ #, but the 800-CALL-FCC did not. I got the famous 3 fast busy, busy, busy......


Yea, that's the funny, ironic thing. The REAL FCC number works. 1-800-CALL-FCC was never a FCC number, or hasn't been for at least two years.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nugrl
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 01 Dec 2009
Posts: 354

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject:

nailgunner wrote:


The 800-CALL-FCC number was apparently owned by a sex chat line lady who bought up 800 numbers that would spell stuff (yes that is more giggling you hear from me). Which means he filed a complaint that MJ is blocking a sex chat line, if the number is still active (more giggling...morphing into side splitting laughter). I would see if it's active, but MJ is blocking it and I don't want sex line numbers showing up on my cell phone.


I wish I would have known this before I tried the number!!! Shocked Embarassed
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei


Joined: 18 Mar 2010
Posts: 1548

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject:

Nugrl wrote:
nailgunner wrote:


The 800-CALL-FCC number was apparently owned by a sex chat line lady who bought up 800 numbers that would spell stuff (yes that is more giggling you hear from me). Which means he filed a complaint that MJ is blocking a sex chat line, if the number is still active (more giggling...morphing into side splitting laughter). I would see if it's active, but MJ is blocking it and I don't want sex line numbers showing up on my cell phone.


I wish I would have known this before I tried the number!!! Shocked Embarassed


Sorry for the late edit, my bad.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO


Joined: 13 Sep 2008
Posts: 2844
Location: North East Pennsylvania

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Thats what I get for not checking it out for myself. I read that on DSL reports about the FCC # and posted iit here!! DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh well one less sex line now for me to call Smile NOT......... I may live alone ( 7 years now) but I am not THAT bad off to have to call those..Hope I will never be.

So sorry for the bogus FCC info guys. Last time I will believe anyone without checking into it myself!! I mean even for MJ that sounded like a pretty dumb thing to do!!

One question. Say my MJ expired TODAY. I buy a new MJ TODAY but wait till tomorrow to port my old MJ number to it? Would I get the full yr?? If not, then best to wait till one renews and then port it over the same day.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nugrl
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 01 Dec 2009
Posts: 354

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject:

bitstopjoe wrote:


One question. Say my MJ expired TODAY. I buy a new MJ TODAY but wait till tomorrow to port my old MJ number to it? Would I get the full yr?? If not, then best to wait till one renews and then port it over the same day.


hey, you may be onto something there! Wink who wants to be the first one to try that? wouldn't that be great if that would work!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei


Joined: 18 Mar 2010
Posts: 1548

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject:

bitstopjoe wrote:
Thats what I get for not checking it out for myself. I read that on DSL reports about the FCC # and posted iit here!! DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So sorry for the bogus FCC info guys. Last time I will believe anyone without checking into it myself!! I mean even for MJ that sounded like a pretty dumb thing to do!!

One question. Say my MJ expired TODAY. I buy a new MJ TODAY but wait till tomorrow to port my old MJ number to it? Would I get the full yr?? If not, then best to wait till one renews and then port it over the same day.



I called the 800 after the DSl post without checking first. I also called a MJ Director's publicly filed number and he answered it himself. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

You should get the full year since there is no time left on the old unit. When you buy it shouldn't be the deciding factor, but when you register it and port (unless I'm mis-reading your scenario). But they have set this up to interpret it any way they choose, so it could be a gotcha no matter what you do. I could see them saying "Mr. Nailgunner, you still have 3 hours left on your old unit, so 3 hours is what you have left, better make your calls fast".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO


Joined: 13 Sep 2008
Posts: 2844
Location: North East Pennsylvania

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject:

Very good point thats why I said to port it the next day after your account expires as you said I would not put anything past them!!!!
Yes sir you have 1 min left on your account so dont call any blocked numbers Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tsmith
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 18 Jan 2010
Posts: 420
Location: Utah

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject:

I'm trying to make sense of this, which is getting tougher to do as I get older. When you buy a 4th Gen for $39.95, you're also paying for the first year of service ($19.95) for that new product. So, the first year is included in the price.

Now, if you let your 3rd Gen expire, then have MJ support port that number to your 4th Gen, you'd have to pay another $19.95 (or whatever) to renew that old number, wouldn't you? So, in effect, we'd be paying twice for just one year's service?

Or would they just assign your old # to the 4th Gen and not charge anything extra (which seems to be the case as I re-read some of the posts)?

(now, where did I put those tranquilizers....)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei


Joined: 18 Mar 2010
Posts: 1548

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject:

tsmith wrote:
I'm trying to make sense of this, which is getting tougher to do as I get older. When you buy a 4th Gen, you're also paying for the first year of service ($19.95) for that new product. So, the first year is already paid.

Now, if you let your 3rd Gen expire, then have MJ support port that number to your 4th Gen, you'd have to pay another $19.95 (or whatever) to renew that old number, wouldn't you? So, in effect, we'd be paying twice for just one year's service?


Not exactly. If you have ANY time left on the 3rd gen, a month, week, day, hours?, you only get that time left carried over to the 4th gen. I laid it out very clear to the agent. I'm paying $40 which is suppose to include a year of service, and I don't get a full year if I want to keep my old number? That is correct was the answer. I should have saved the chat. Give it a shot in your free time some day. They don't always give the same response, or the policy could have changed in the subsequent 2 weeks.

If the 3rd gen has expired you should get a full year. Not sure how they can deny the year then. And if I remember I brought that up in the CS chat, which is why I asked her at the end of the chat what THEY showed as my EXACT expiration date. If you are off even a day, it could cost you an extra $20.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei


Joined: 18 Mar 2010
Posts: 1548

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject:

tsmith wrote:


Or would they just assign your old # to the 4th Gen and not charge anything extra (which seems to be the case as I re-read some of the posts)?

(now, where did I put those tranquilizers....)


Yea I think you have it right...we passed mid-posts.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO


Joined: 13 Sep 2008
Posts: 2844
Location: North East Pennsylvania

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject:

I THINK if you let your 3rd gen expire and the next day port your 4th gen over, you get the full year, again I THINK... OR it could be like you said have to pay another $20. Crap...........I would suggest to chat with MJ to be sure but I bet 5 different people there would give you 5 different answers.
MAYBE an email to [email protected] might be better, but then who knows.
I guess we will have to hope someone here does it and lets us know for sure.
Maybe the best thing then to do is renew for another yr and then the next day port over to Gen 4... That makes the most sense to me...and you would only lose 1 day.. Just a guess on my part though...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei


Joined: 18 Mar 2010
Posts: 1548

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject:

bitstopjoe wrote:
I THINK if you let your 3rd gen expire and the next day port your 4th gen over, you get the full year, again I THINK... OR it could be like you said have to pay another $20. Crap...........I would suggest to chat with MJ to be sure but I bet 5 different people there would give you 5 different answers.
MAYBE an email to [email protected] might be better, but then who knows.
I guess we will have to hope someone here does it and lets us know for sure.
Maybe the best thing then to do is renew for another yr and then the next day port over to Gen 4... That makes the most sense to me...and you would only lose 1 day.. Just a guess on my part though...


My year is up December 31 (I think, they told me but I didn't write it down, and my memory is crap...crap). I'm going to do it then if no one tries it in the interim.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tsmith
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 18 Jan 2010
Posts: 420
Location: Utah

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject:

Great. Now we ALL have headaches. Very Happy

nailgunner, you can see the date your MJ expires under "Subscriptions" in your account. Click on "Details" in the "Renewal" area. You'll see your expiration date on the next screen.


Last edited by tsmith on Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO


Joined: 13 Sep 2008
Posts: 2844
Location: North East Pennsylvania

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject:

nailgunner wrote:
bitstopjoe wrote:
I THINK if you let your 3rd gen expire and the next day port your 4th gen over, you get the full year, again I THINK... OR it could be like you said have to pay another $20. Crap...........I would suggest to chat with MJ to be sure but I bet 5 different people there would give you 5 different answers.
MAYBE an email to [email protected] might be better, but then who knows.
I guess we will have to hope someone here does it and lets us know for sure.
Maybe the best thing then to do is renew for another yr and then the next day port over to Gen 4... That makes the most sense to me...and you would only lose 1 day.. Just a guess on my part though...


My year is up December 31 (I think, they told me but I didn't write it down, and my memory is crap...crap). I'm going to do it then if no one tries it in the interim.


Just go to my.magicjack.com, log in and check your experation date. Ok not YOUR experation date but your MJ's Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei


Joined: 18 Mar 2010
Posts: 1548

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject:

bitstopjoe wrote:


Just go to my.magicjack.com, log in and check your experation date. Ok not YOUR experation date but your MJ's Smile


Thanks. Found it under "renewal' in the "My Subscriptions" tab. Not there in "renewal" under "My Account", in case anyone else is looking. December 31st it is (really wish they would have at least narrowed it down to a.m or p.m with the appropriate time zone THEY are using...just looking for more MJ loopholes.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nugrl
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 01 Dec 2009
Posts: 354

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject:

bitstopjoe wrote:
I THINK if you let your 3rd gen expire and the next day port your 4th gen over, you get the full year, again I THINK... OR it could be like you said have to pay another $20. Crap...........I would suggest to chat with MJ to be sure but I bet 5 different people there would give you 5 different answers.
MAYBE an email to [email protected] might be better, but then who knows.
I guess we will have to hope someone here does it and lets us know for sure.
Maybe the best thing then to do is renew for another yr and then the next day port over to Gen 4... That makes the most sense to me...and you would only lose 1 day.. Just a guess on my part though...



ok, correct me if I am reading this wrong, but the way you have this worded, is it not saying that we will still have to pay the additional $20 if we wait til the day after the mj expires? and if we do that, wait for it to expire, are we sure we will still be able to port our old #, or should I say, are we sure that are old # will still be there to port if we let it expire???? Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei


Joined: 18 Mar 2010
Posts: 1548

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject:

Nugrl wrote:
bitstopjoe wrote:
I THINK if you let your 3rd gen expire and the next day port your 4th gen over, you get the full year, again I THINK... OR it could be like you said have to pay another $20. Crap...........I would suggest to chat with MJ to be sure but I bet 5 different people there would give you 5 different answers.
MAYBE an email to [email protected] might be better, but then who knows.
I guess we will have to hope someone here does it and lets us know for sure.
Maybe the best thing then to do is renew for another yr and then the next day port over to Gen 4... That makes the most sense to me...and you would only lose 1 day.. Just a guess on my part though...



ok, correct me if I am reading this wrong, but the way you have this worded, is it not saying that we will still have to pay the additional $20 if we wait til the day after the mj expires? and if we do that, wait for it to expire, are we sure we will still be able to port our old #, or should I say, are we sure that are old # will still be there to port if we let it expire???? Rolling Eyes


Huh? Now I'm confused. Very Happy Nothing is sure with MJ. But, if you wait until the old year expires you "should" be ok to transfer your old number to the new unit with no additional cost. If you do it a day too soon, you will pay another $20 in a few days.

And I think there is another word of caution. Don't register your new unit and then try to transfer the old number. I think I read on here somewhere that you need to contact customer service first and let them know what you want to do, otherwise you will get stuck with a new number on the new device. I think.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO


Joined: 13 Sep 2008
Posts: 2844
Location: North East Pennsylvania

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject:

Dunno for sure Smile
Guess we will have to wait and see who tries it and sees.

TO ME the safest way seems to be buy a gen 4 AFTER you renew for a yr and then the next day port your # to the new gen 4...
But of course I can't be sure... Imagine if you didn't know and your current MJ crapped out with 1 week or 1 day before it expires. So you buy a new uint and port the # over to it only then to find out you now have to pay ANOTHER $20 after a week or a day. MAN that would bite...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei


Joined: 18 Mar 2010
Posts: 1548

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject:

bitstopjoe wrote:
Dunno for sure Smile
Guess we will have to wait and see who tries it and sees.

TO ME the safest way seems to be buy a gen 4 AFTER you renew for a yr and then the next day port your # to the new gen 4...
But of course I can't be sure... Imagine if you didn't know and your current MJ crapped out with 1 week or 1 day before it expires. So you buy a new uint and port the # over to it only then to find out you now have to pay ANOTHER $20 after a week or a day. MAN that would bite...


That was one of the scenarios I ran by support and they confirmed it. If your unit fails, they are forcing you to decide between getting a new number, paying another $20 to keep the old number, or going without your MJ until your year is up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nugrl
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 01 Dec 2009
Posts: 354

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject:

bitstopjoe wrote:
Dunno for sure Smile
Guess we will have to wait and see who tries it and sees.

TO ME the safest way seems to be buy a gen 4 AFTER you renew for a yr and then the next day port your # to the new gen 4...
But of course I can't be sure... Imagine if you didn't know and your current MJ crapped out with 1 week or 1 day before it expires. So you buy a new uint and port the # over to it only then to find out you now have to pay ANOTHER $20 after a week or a day. MAN that would bite...


but we still are having to pay the addtional $20, right? so we are not saving any money. the evil MJ empire is still making that addtional $20 on us, no matter how we try to do it?

ps. my MJ renewal is Nov. 30th, so I guess I'm up first. Crying or Very sad I guess I get to be the guinea pig???? Rolling Eyes

pss. Wait, first I need to be able to find a 4th GEN MJ dongle here. I have had no success with that yet......
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei


Joined: 18 Mar 2010
Posts: 1548

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject:

[quote="Nugrl"]
bitstopjoe wrote:
Dunno for sure Smile
Guess we will have to wait and see who tries it and sees.

TO ME the safest way seems to be buy a gen 4 AFTER you renew for a yr and then the next day port your # to the new gen 4...
But of course I can't be sure... Imagine if you didn't know and your current MJ crapped out with 1 week or 1 day before it expires. So you buy a new uint and port the # over to it only then to find out you now have to pay ANOTHER $20 after a week or a day. MAN that would bite...


but we still are having to pay the addtional $20, right? so we are not saving any money. the evil MJ empire is still making that addtional $20 on us, no matter how we try to do it?

There is NO additional $20 if you wait until your initial year is up.

Edit: I screwed up the posting of the quote


Last edited by nailgunner on Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nugrl
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 01 Dec 2009
Posts: 354

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject:

[quote="nailgunner"]
Nugrl wrote:
bitstopjoe wrote:
Dunno for sure Smile
Guess we will have to wait and see who tries it and sees.

TO ME the safest way seems to be buy a gen 4 AFTER you renew for a yr and then the next day port your # to the new gen 4...
But of course I can't be sure... Imagine if you didn't know and your current MJ crapped out with 1 week or 1 day before it expires. So you buy a new uint and port the # over to it only then to find out you now have to pay ANOTHER $20 after a week or a day. MAN that would bite...


but we still are having to pay the addtional $20, right? so we are not saving any money. the evil MJ empire is still making that addtional $20 on us, no matter how we try to do it?

There is NO additional $20 if you wait until your initial year is up.


are you sure about that???? Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei


Joined: 18 Mar 2010
Posts: 1548

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject:

[quote="Nugrl"]
nailgunner wrote:
Nugrl wrote:
bitstopjoe wrote:
Dunno for sure Smile
Guess we will have to wait and see who tries it and sees.

TO ME the safest way seems to be buy a gen 4 AFTER you renew for a yr and then the next day port your # to the new gen 4...
But of course I can't be sure... Imagine if you didn't know and your current MJ crapped out with 1 week or 1 day before it expires. So you buy a new uint and port the # over to it only then to find out you now have to pay ANOTHER $20 after a week or a day. MAN that would bite...


but we still are having to pay the addtional $20, right? so we are not saving any money. the evil MJ empire is still making that addtional $20 on us, no matter how we try to do it?

There is NO additional $20 if you wait until your initial year is up.


are you sure about that???? Wink


As I said before, you can't be sure with anything with MJ, but yea, I'm 99.99% sure.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei


Joined: 18 Mar 2010
Posts: 1548

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject:

Buy the unit. Contact CS, let them know that you want to transfer your number to a new unit BEFORE you register the new unit and you should be good to go.

If you do it all before your year is up, you will pay another $20 at the end of the initial year. I think it's pretty straight forward. It's an unfair practice, especially if you have a new device because the old one failed, but that's life in MJ world.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nugrl
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 01 Dec 2009
Posts: 354

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject:

[quote="nailgunner"]
Nugrl wrote:
nailgunner wrote:
Nugrl wrote:
bitstopjoe wrote:
Dunno for sure Smile
Guess we will have to wait and see who tries it and sees.

TO ME the safest way seems to be buy a gen 4 AFTER you renew for a yr and then the next day port your # to the new gen 4...
But of course I can't be sure... Imagine if you didn't know and your current MJ crapped out with 1 week or 1 day before it expires. So you buy a new uint and port the # over to it only then to find out you now have to pay ANOTHER $20 after a week or a day. MAN that would bite...


but we still are having to pay the addtional $20, right? so we are not saving any money. the evil MJ empire is still making that addtional $20 on us, no matter how we try to do it?

There is NO additional $20 if you wait until your initial year is up.


are you sure about that???? Wink


As I said before, you can't be sure with anything with MJ, but yea, I'm 99.99% sure.



Ok then, I am going to take your word for it! Wink but, are you sure they will still let you port your "OLD" # to the new MJ or will they say,.... "Unlucky You, your old number no longer exists, because you let your account expire..." Laughing that is my concern and if that happens part of this exercise was pointless..... Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei


Joined: 18 Mar 2010
Posts: 1548

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject:

Nugrl wrote:



Ok then, I am going to take your word for it! Wink but, are you sure they will still let you port your "OLD" # to the new MJ or will they say,.... "Unlucky You, your old number no longer exists, because you let your account expire..." Laughing that is my concern and if that happens part of this exercise was pointless..... Sad


Their policy changes minute to minute, I wouldn't take anyones word for anything. I would take 30 minutes and chat with CS. As of about 2 or 3 weeks ago, it was clear that it would work.

Their policy has also been to keep your number active for a few months after your year expired. So if you let it expire in January and renewed in March, the new year was retroactive to January.

Things obviously change with MJ. If you are like me and don't want to throw $20 away, I would and will check with them to see what the policy of the day is.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO


Joined: 13 Sep 2008
Posts: 2844
Location: North East Pennsylvania

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject:

Then do what I said. Renew with your old unit and the NEXT day port over your # to the new unit. This way you will only lose one day and it won't cost you and extra $20. So you get 364 days not 365 with the new unit. To me that makes the most sense and safest route to take...
Now, of course, if your MJ crapped out and went bad and you had only a week to go before it expires you have to make a choice. Whether to pay an extra $20 a week later or lose your number. As long as your MJ is working you don't have to make that choice.
Of course this is my opinion and IF it were me going to a gen 4 that is what I would do. Since my MJ expires in Aug 2011 I have a while to go yet before I try. BUT if my MJ is working by Aug next yr, I will keep it as it works just fine, zero problems and unless I tell someone I am on VOIP they have no idea I was not on a landline.


Last edited by bitstopjoe on Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei


Joined: 18 Mar 2010
Posts: 1548

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject:

bitstopjoe wrote:
Then do what I said. Renew with your old unit and the NEXT day port over your # to the new unit.


Exactly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nugrl
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 01 Dec 2009
Posts: 354

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject:

nailgunner wrote:
bitstopjoe wrote:
Then do what I said. Renew with your old unit and the NEXT day port over your # to the new unit.


Exactly.



no, no, no, what part of this is not making sense? if you do what bitstopjoe says, then you are paying the $20 to renew the old one and then you are paying another $40 for the new MJ dongle, which means you are not saving the extra $20. or am I not getting this????
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO


Joined: 13 Sep 2008
Posts: 2844
Location: North East Pennsylvania

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject:

Nugrl wrote:
nailgunner wrote:
bitstopjoe wrote:
Then do what I said. Renew with your old unit and the NEXT day port over your # to the new unit.


Exactly.



no, no, no, what part of this is not making sense? if you do what bitstopjoe says, then you are paying the $20 to renew the old one and then you are paying another $40 for the new MJ dongle, which means you are not saving the extra $20. or am I not getting this????


No you are getting it. You really are damned if you do and damned if you don't. IF you just port the # over the you risk losing whatever part of the yr you have left on your old#. Looks like the only way not to pay the extra $20 is to lose your orig #. Unless if you do wait till your orig expires and then ask to port over your new MJ to your old #. BUT what if they say, sorry you have no time left on your account? So again it comes down to losing your # or $20. AsS far as I can see. But I am open to another opinion...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei


Joined: 18 Mar 2010
Posts: 1548

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject:

Nugrl wrote:
nailgunner wrote:
bitstopjoe wrote:
Then do what I said. Renew with your old unit and the NEXT day port over your # to the new unit.


Exactly.



no, no, no, what part of this is not making sense? if you do what bitstopjoe says, then you are paying the $20 to renew the old one and then you are paying another $40 for the new MJ dongle, which means you are not saving the extra $20. or am I not getting this????


I missed the renew with your old unit part (not sure how). DON'T renew your old unit. IF you wait the day of, or the day after your year expires and renew with your new $40 unit, they are NOT going to charge you another $20 per MJ customer service. You have no time left on the old unit. You NEVER renew the old one. You tell them you want to transfer the old number to the new unit and you are set.

It's only when you have time left on the old unit that you get screwed, at least per what they told me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Powered by phpBB Ultra Turbo Extended Edition Live © 2001-9999, phpBB Group
magicJack and magicJack Plus are trademarks of magicJack LLP. This website is in no way affiliated, endorsed, or sponsored by magicJack LLP, and is an unofficial forum for consumers to openly communicate regarding their experiences with the magicJack products.