Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
3 Busy Signals - Then Hangs Up

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
MJ815
MagicJack Newbie


Joined: 24 Aug 2010
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: 3 Busy Signals - Then Hangs Up

I have reported this problem several times over a couple weeks to get this corrected using Magic Jack's official tech support online and I keep getting their standard answer:

Quote:
I need to escalate your issue to the Engineers for them to check on this matter personally.


My problem is that there are several numbers in my area that I try to call with the MagicJack and I get 3 short busy signals (when I can connect using my cell phone) and then it goes dead.

Here are some of the problem numbers that I have collected:

1. South Beloit Illinois Boys and Girls Club (815) 389-3634
2. South Beloit Illinois High School (815) 389-9004
3. Papa John's Pizza, South Beloit Illinois (815) 389-7272
4. South Beloit Illinois Riverview School (815) 389-1231

I could give more but I think that is enough to show that there is a problem.

Anyone have ideas how I can get this corrected Question

Maybe everyone can flood MagicJack support with reporting the same problem, because this has to be a network problem so yours should not call those numbers either.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO


Joined: 13 Sep 2008
Posts: 2844
Location: North East Pennsylvania

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject:

9 pages here of people having the same problem.
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r24566829-HELP-Magic-Jack-cant-call-local-ISP-area-code

BY THE WAY, this has been discussed on this forum as well. Search IS your friend.

Joe Sica
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
crackerjack
Dan Should Pay Me


Joined: 16 Nov 2007
Posts: 784

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 Busy Signals - Then Hangs Up

MJ815 wrote:
I have reported this problem several times over a couple weeks to get this corrected using Magic Jack's official tech support online and I keep getting their standard answer:

Quote:
I need to escalate your issue to the Engineers for them to check on this matter personally.


My problem is that there are several numbers in my area that I try to call with the MagicJack and I get 3 short busy signals (when I can connect using my cell phone) and then it goes dead.

Here are some of the problem numbers that I have collected:

1. South Beloit Illinois Boys and Girls Club (815) 389-3634
2. South Beloit Illinois High School (815) 389-9004
.


I was successful in calling these 2 locations using 2 different MJ accts
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO


Joined: 13 Sep 2008
Posts: 2844
Location: North East Pennsylvania

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject:

Same here, I was able to call BOTH #'s without a problem.

Might be a MJ server problem for his area. Stuff like that usually clears up in a few days. However that link I gave him shows others are having problems to some #'s all over, mostly rural with high termination fees for MJ... MAYBE they are sever specific??

Joe Sica
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lightspeed
MagicJack Newbie


Joined: 28 Sep 2010
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: same problem here about the calling

i am new here and was also looking for answers , i am also having the very same problems with mj i call "some " places and it gives a busy signal and hangs up . but i call other places farther away even in ca. and it works just fine , i thought maybe our phone company was blocking it somehow on their internet for local calls but my wife called another friend long distance and it gave busy signal and hung up but earlier she also called someone else in ca. and it went through just fine . whatever the problem is with magic jack i hope they straighten it out and soon , and that's another reason i don't pay for more than one year service at a time . i have tried upgrades and also unplugged the telephone and used the mj key pad as suggested same problem though . Mad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO


Joined: 13 Sep 2008
Posts: 2844
Location: North East Pennsylvania

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: same problem here about the calling

lightspeed wrote:
i am new here and was also looking for answers , i am also having the very same problems with mj i call "some " places and it gives a busy signal and hangs up . but i call other places farther away even in ca. and it works just fine , i thought maybe our phone company was blocking it somehow on their internet for local calls but my wife called another friend long distance and it gave busy signal and hung up but earlier she also called someone else in ca. and it went through just fine . whatever the problem is with magic jack i hope they straighten it out and soon , and that's another reason i don't pay for more than one year service at a time . i have tried upgrades and also unplugged the telephone and used the mj key pad as suggested same problem though . Mad


Did you click on the link in my post here?? 9 pages but the last few have a list of all the affected #'s, SO FAR!! Some have filed a report with the FCC and local gvmt.. Might be worth your read.

Joe Sica
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me


Joined: 12 Feb 2009
Posts: 673
Location: Buffalo NY

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 Busy Signals - Then Hangs Up

MJ815 wrote:
I have reported this problem several times over a couple weeks to get this corrected using Magic Jack's official tech support online and I keep getting their standard answer:

Quote:
I need to escalate your issue to the Engineers for them to check on this matter personally.


My problem is that there are several numbers in my area that I try to call with the MagicJack and I get 3 short busy signals (when I can connect using my cell phone) and then it goes dead.

Here are some of the problem numbers that I have collected:

1. South Beloit Illinois Boys and Girls Club (815) 389-3634
2. South Beloit Illinois High School (815) 389-9004
3. Papa John's Pizza, South Beloit Illinois (815) 389-7272
4. South Beloit Illinois Riverview School (815) 389-1231

I could give more but I think that is enough to show that there is a problem.

Anyone have ideas how I can get this corrected Question

Maybe everyone can flood MagicJack support with reporting the same problem, because this has to be a network problem so yours should not call those numbers either.
I called Papa John's and talked to Clark. He seems like a nice guy. I also talked to the nice lady who answered the phone at Riverview School. If your constantly having trouble calling these numbers the only thing you can do is continue to chat with MJ and try and get this resolved. It may be a routing issue that's keeping your calls from being completed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fujifilm99
MagicJack Contributor


Joined: 27 Jul 2010
Posts: 52
Location: Missouri, USA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: 3 fast busys & disconnect = magicJack blocking that loca

It has been unequivically proven that this symptom indicates that magicJack is blocking the call. Generally it is a call to a small and/or rural telephone company.

Please see the thread "Forums VOIP etc Voice Over IP - VOIP MagicJack HELP- Magic Jack can't call local ISP area code" -
which can be viewed at: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r24566829-HELP-Magic-Jack-cant-call-local-ISP-area-code

If you continue complaining to magicJack support daily, you may eventually receive the following email:

"Dear magicJack Customer:

We are working on interconnecting with the telecommunications carrier for the telephone numbers you have been unable to reach. The current rates charged by carriers are cost prohibitive. There is a legal requirement for all companies to interconnect if one carrier requests to do so from the other carrier. We hope we will be successful in doing so.

In the meantime we would be happy to offer you a refund of your unused magicJack and related services per pro rata method, i.e., if used six months, the refund would be approximately $20.00.

Please return your magicJack to the following address and enclose a refund request that includes your name, magicJack phone number and full mailing address.

magicJack, LP

Attention: Consumer Issues Department

P. O. Box 16176

West Palm Beach, FL 33416

We will credit the form of payment you used to purchase your magicJack or mail you a check.

Should you choose to return your magicJack for a refund, future registrations may be prevented.

Sincerely,

magicJack Customer Care"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
crackerjack
Dan Should Pay Me


Joined: 16 Nov 2007
Posts: 784

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: 3 fast busys & disconnect = magicJack blocking that

fujifilm99 wrote:
It has been unequivically proven that this symptom indicates that magicJack is blocking the call. Generally it is a call to a small and/or rural telephone company.

Hello fujifilm:

Please understand your contributions in this forum is appreciated, BUT....
The OP listed 4 numbers in Illinois that were successfully dialed by others using MJ circuits. There have always been routing/database update issues from day 1 of MJ's existence that are totally unrelated to the intentional blocking that is a recent phenomena.
Please do not be such an alarmist and try to apply a universal answer to problems that do not warrant it.
I agree that the OP should maintain a frequent dialog with MJ but this is not the typical "MJ is blocking high cost destinations" complaint and likely can get resolved in due time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fujifilm99
MagicJack Contributor


Joined: 27 Jul 2010
Posts: 52
Location: Missouri, USA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 fast busys & disconnect = magicJack blocking that

crackerjack wrote:
fujifilm99 wrote:
It has been unequivically proven that this symptom indicates that magicJack is blocking the call. Generally it is a call to a small and/or rural telephone company.

Hello fujifilm:

Please understand your contributions in this forum is appreciated, BUT....

I haven't checked yet, but I'm sure you do a fine job too...
crackerjack wrote:

The OP listed 4 numbers in Illinois that were successfully dialed by others using MJ circuits.

And...
I was able able to call everyone who was previously unreachable (and vice-versa) for the entire Labor Day weekend - starting Saturday morning of Labor day weekend.
That was also the same day and time frame that I and others were sent the first known refund letter.

This sudden functionality wasn't a limited occurrence, but happened to almost everyone who noticed or tried it during that time period. Well, I don't need to tell you that since it was mentioned in the link I provided.

It continued to work the entire Holiday Weekend until Tuesday morning, when it magicJack-ly had reverted back to the exact satate vis-a-vis the numnbers reachable/unreachable that existed on the preceeding Friday..
crackerjack wrote:

There have always been routing/database update issues from day 1 of MJ's existence that are totally unrelated to the intentional blocking that is a recent phenomena.

Yes, there are a lot of issues with magicJack. As apparent from this forum and others, reviews, etc.
I'm sure that there were were routing issues from Day 1. However, I'd think that after day 1,000 they could at least supply a reason for his issue. I was a computer network engineer and, if I would have had similar routing issues 3 times - I would have fired myself!
crackerjack wrote:

Please do not be such an alarmist and try to apply a universal answer to problems that do not warrant it.

When thousands of people are affected, I think that some sort of alarm is called for.
What would your alarm threshold be? I'm very curious.

Since 3 short busy tones is a trunk reorder signal, it could be anything that prevents the call from connecting to the CLEC. It could have been a cosmic ray affecting a microprocessor chip too I suppose. I merely supplied the most likely and common (by far) reason.
crackerjack wrote:

I agree that the OP should maintain a frequent dialog with MJ but this is not the typical "MJ is blocking high cost destinations" complaint and likely can get resolved in due time.


What is "the OP"?

I don't agree that a frequent dialog with MJ would guarantee to get anyone anything - with the exception of carpal tunnel and possibly a refund offer with a nasty catch at the end.
I'll admit that here is an exception to every rule. However, as is the case with most things magicJack, one is almost never informed of the reason.

So, we are left to speculate - are we not?

If you have any new information, you can call always call me at my home telephone number - as long as you do it from a magicJack.
I will send you my "real" phone number via PM.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
crackerjack
Dan Should Pay Me


Joined: 16 Nov 2007
Posts: 784

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 fast busys & disconnect = magicJack blocking that

fujifilm99 wrote:
crackerjack wrote:
fujifilm99 wrote:
It has been unequivically proven that this symptom indicates that magicJack is blocking the call. Generally it is a call to a small and/or rural telephone company.

Hello fujifilm:

Please understand your contributions in this forum is appreciated, BUT....

I haven't checked yet, but I'm sure you do a fine job too...
crackerjack wrote:

The OP listed 4 numbers in Illinois that were successfully dialed by others using MJ circuits.

And...
I was able able to call everyone who was previously unreachable (and vice-versa) for the entire Labor Day weekend - starting Saturday morning of Labor day weekend.
That was also the same day and time frame that I and others were sent the first known refund letter.

This sudden functionality wasn't a limited occurrence, but happened to almost everyone who noticed or tried it during that time period. Well, I don't need to tell you that since it was mentioned in the link I provided.

It continued to work the entire Holiday Weekend until Tuesday morning, when it magicJack-ly had reverted back to the exact satate vis-a-vis the numnbers reachable/unreachable that existed on the preceeding Friday..
crackerjack wrote:

There have always been routing/database update issues from day 1 of MJ's existence that are totally unrelated to the intentional blocking that is a recent phenomena.

Yes, there are a lot of issues with magicJack. As apparent from this forum and others, reviews, etc.
I'm sure that there were were routing issues from Day 1. However, I'd think that after day 1,000 they could at least supply a reason for his issue. I was a computer network engineer and, if I would have had similar routing issues 3 times - I would have fired myself!
crackerjack wrote:

Please do not be such an alarmist and try to apply a universal answer to problems that do not warrant it.

When thousands of people are affected, I think that some sort of alarm is called for.
What would your alarm threshold be? I'm very curious.

Since 3 short busy tones is a trunk reorder signal, it could be anything that prevents the call from connecting to the CLEC. It could have been a cosmic ray affecting a microprocessor chip too I suppose. I merely supplied the most likely and common (by far) reason.
crackerjack wrote:

I agree that the OP should maintain a frequent dialog with MJ but this is not the typical "MJ is blocking high cost destinations" complaint and likely can get resolved in due time.


What is "the OP"?

I don't agree that a frequent dialog with MJ would guarantee to get anyone anything - with the exception of carpal tunnel and possibly a refund offer with a nasty catch at the end.
I'll admit that here is an exception to every rule. However, as is the case with most things magicJack, one is almost never informed of the reason.

So, we are left to speculate - are we not?

If you have any new information, you can call always call me at my home telephone number - as long as you do it from a magicJack.
I will send you my "real" phone number via PM.


I honestly don't think my well composed reply warranted your snarky, sarcastic, smart-assed reply but I will forgive you since you are obviously in a snit that your $40 investment in MJ is not meeting your needs and expectations.

OP=Original Poster

There is a critical difference in this situation as the 'problem numbers' could be reached via MJ as substantiated by 3 reliable sources in this very thread.
The time frame was NOT during Labor Day
You need to apply a bit more discernment to what you are reading as you missed the hint that the numbers were indeed reachable and every post here carries a timestamp.
Had you briefly looked at my time as member here and number of posts on this forum you will realize I am by no stretch an MJ fanboy.

I did want the OP to recognize there is a possible solution as his issue was distinct from the widely reported issue relating to numbers intentionally blocked by MJ. No amount of pi$$ing and moaning is gonna change that decision, as MJ/YMAX are not subject to the universal service dictates of the FCC, but, at least for the OP, there is hope and I encourage him to pursue the issue with both MJ and the carrier who serves the problem numbers.

Did you ever take the time to call the problem numbers in the OP? I just verified them today, for the 3rd time....

later
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fujifilm99
MagicJack Contributor


Joined: 27 Jul 2010
Posts: 52
Location: Missouri, USA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 fast busys & disconnect = magicJack blocking that

crackerjack wrote:


Did you ever take the time to call the problem numbers in the OP? I just verified them today, for the 3rd time....

later

Nope. Did you call mine yet?

I haven't heard it ring..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
1oldman
MagicJack Newbie


Joined: 09 Feb 2009
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: similar problem but did get a reply from Tech Support!

As people have already reported, I can no longer call the entire state of Alaska-907 area code. It stopped approx 3 months ago but I have just been to lazy to attempt to chat but after I did I received an email from Tech Support which reads:

"We are working on interconnecting with the telecommunications carrier for the telephone numbers you have been unable to reach. The current rates charged by carriers are cost prohibitive. There is a legal requirement for all companies to interconnect if one carrier requests to do so from the other carrier. We hope we will be successful in doing so.

In the meantime we would be happy to offer you a refund of your unused magicjack and related services per pro rata method."

Now I have found that I can no longer call my parents who are in the same area code but are serviced by a rural telephone co-op. I can receive calls from both! Of course it will cost as much to send it back as I would receive in a refund. Pretty much satisfied until now. Will keep MJ until my subscription is up then so long! So it goes...... Crying or Very sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO


Joined: 13 Sep 2008
Posts: 2844
Location: North East Pennsylvania

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: similar problem but did get a reply from Tech Support!

1oldman wrote:
As people have already reported, I can no longer call the entire state of Alaska-907 area code. It stopped approx 3 months ago but I have just been to lazy to attempt to chat but after I did I received an email from Tech Support which reads:

"We are working on interconnecting with the telecommunications carrier for the telephone numbers you have been unable to reach. The current rates charged by carriers are cost prohibitive. There is a legal requirement for all companies to interconnect if one carrier requests to do so from the other carrier. We hope we will be successful in doing so.

In the meantime we would be happy to offer you a refund of your unused magicjack and related services per pro rata method."

Now I have found that I can no longer call my parents who are in the same area code but are serviced by a rural telephone co-op. I can receive calls from both! Of course it will cost as much to send it back as I would receive in a refund. Pretty much satisfied until now. Will keep MJ until my subscription is up then so long! So it goes...... Crying or Very sad

Have you tried getting a free Google Voice number and using it to call your parents? You can call your GV # with your MJ, hit * type in your pin then hit 2. From there you can call your parents. YES a P.I.T.A but a way to get around MJ's ASSININE blocking which now includes the FCC of all places!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fujifilm99
MagicJack Contributor


Joined: 27 Jul 2010
Posts: 52
Location: Missouri, USA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: similar problem but did get a reply from Tech Support!

bitstopjoe wrote:

Have you tried getting a free Google Voice number and using it to call your parents? You can call your GV # with your MJ, hit * type in your pin then hit 2. From there you can call your parents. YES a P.I.T.A but a way to get around MJ's ASSININE blocking which now includes the FCC of all places!!!

Just to update Joe's answer. They are also blocking some Google Voice numbers now!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO


Joined: 13 Sep 2008
Posts: 2844
Location: North East Pennsylvania

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: similar problem but did get a reply from Tech Support!

fujifilm99 wrote:
bitstopjoe wrote:

Have you tried getting a free Google Voice number and using it to call your parents? You can call your GV # with your MJ, hit * type in your pin then hit 2. From there you can call your parents. YES a P.I.T.A but a way to get around MJ's ASSININE blocking which now includes the FCC of all places!!!

Just to update Joe's answer. They are also blocking some Google Voice numbers now!

Yep they sure are. I helped Nugirl find that out and posted it on DSL reports. Mine is still working fine it is a 484-548-xxxx number. So if one is only looking for a work around for their MJ dialing blocked #'s my area code and exchange are not blocked, well yet anyway.


Last edited by bitstopjoe on Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JohnnyPhilko
magicJack Apprentice


Joined: 28 Nov 2008
Posts: 19

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject:

I can't call any area code without getting three short busy beeps and a disconnect.

I'm near Cleveland, Ohio and have 440-721-**** number.

Seesh!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bluesman
magicJack Apprentice


Joined: 01 Nov 2010
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject:

If this keeps up it seems soon we won't be able to call anywhere with the MJ...try calling any # with a 402-245-xxxx prefix and I assure you you will get the 3 busy signals then nothing. This # is southeast NE communicatios co, my ex lives in that area and can't use her MJ to make any local calls. My newer MJ won't allow me to use my phone keypad to place any calls I have to use the softphone on PC. I'm begining to think MJ is a piece of crap...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JohnnyPhilko
magicJack Apprentice


Joined: 28 Nov 2008
Posts: 19

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject:

I think I'm going to switch to the Net Talk Dou on the 15th. My MJ subscription runs out at the end of the month, and the Net Talk 50% off is good until the 15th.

See you all on the Net Talk forums.

Peace,
Johnny Philko
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MJ815
MagicJack Newbie


Joined: 24 Aug 2010
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject:

Sorry I have not replied with an update until now...

I just tried all of the numbers I originally posted:

1. South Beloit Illinois Boys and Girls Club (815) 389-3634
2. South Beloit Illinois High School (815) 389-9004
3. Papa John's Pizza, South Beloit Illinois (815) 389-7272
4. South Beloit Illinois Riverview School (815) 389-1231

They all connect fine now. Cool

My wife and I would like to give thanks to everyone who helped with this issue. Take care & God bless!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
crackerjack
Dan Should Pay Me


Joined: 16 Nov 2007
Posts: 784

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject:

MJ815 wrote:
Sorry I have not replied with an update until now...

I just tried all of the numbers I originally posted:

1. South Beloit Illinois Boys and Girls Club (815) 389-3634
2. South Beloit Illinois High School (815) 389-9004
3. Papa John's Pizza, South Beloit Illinois (815) 389-7272
4. South Beloit Illinois Riverview School (815) 389-1231

They all connect fine now. Cool

My wife and I would like to give thanks to everyone who helped with this issue. Take care & God bless!


Congrats!!! Did you just keep trying on your own or did you get any notification from MJ 'tech support chat'?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Powered by phpBB Ultra Turbo Extended Edition Live © 2001-9999, phpBB Group
magicJack and magicJack Plus are trademarks of magicJack LLP. This website is in no way affiliated, endorsed, or sponsored by magicJack LLP, and is an unofficial forum for consumers to openly communicate regarding their experiences with the magicJack products.