Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
30 minuite cutoff - reply from Dan
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lcompton
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:05 am    Post subject: I'm Sorry, But I Just Couldn't Resist...

Hi, again, George.

HolmanGT wrote:
Lisa, the D'Link goody is on its way.

Lucky you! (I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist! Laughing)

HolmanGT wrote:
I read a review that said it will also work with Vonage. If that is true I should think it will work with almost any VOIP package. (???)

I haven't seen a review like that, but I believe it is possible. I can even explain why, but it's 0105 here and I am tired. Perhaps, tomorrow...
aaronwt
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject:

What is this about call caps?
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject:

aaronwt wrote:

See http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/MagicJack/Sentiment/Cons#call_caps_dec2008

Mark
lcompton

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:27 am    Post subject: magicJack Facts...

Good evening, aaronwt.

aaronwt wrote:

magicJack FACTS:
  1. Some individuals (including myself) are experiencing forced and unannounced outbound call terminations at precisely 60 minutes; i.e. 60-minute call caps.

2. The percentage of magicJack users impacted by the call caps is not known to magicJack consumers.

3. While speculated to be a measure to control Holiday voice traffic and reportedly a measure to address phantom network call traffic issues, the genuine intent and genuine long-term plans of the call caps is simply not known to magicJack consumers.
SUMMARY:
Deal with it or move on.

I'm switching to Skype and downsizing. Because Skype costs USD59.50/annum for an unlimited inbound/outbound plan, I'm returning to one telephone line.

Unfortunately for me, my time-table has accelerated. I must have Skype fully-implemented by month's end and be off of the magicJack platform completely. Annoying, but oh well... I don't make the rules, I just get to break them.
pcguy760
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject:

Lisa,

WOW....you picture brought back soooo many memories...from the days when I use to mess with old XT's running at 10Mhz in turbo mode (lol - remember turbo mode?), then to AT's, etc and wow what a huge thing it was when your buddy got a 16 COLOR EGA monitor lol. Do you remember how heavy the CPU part of the computer was?! It was also funny how the monochrome monitors came in green, amber and white lol... I could go on and on... hehe. Hey btw you remember that cool game called hangman lol?

DOS was god back then until windows 3.1 showed up then everyone who knew how to click a mouse was on a PC haha.

Well anyways, I talked to them via live help very recently and they said they apparently fixed the problem with the time limit and if it gets cut off after 60 minutes to contact them again via live help and they will "configure" my number... wierd but I have not had a chance to make a long call yet...

Also funny, my girlfriend's name is Lisa - haha.
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject:

pcguy760 wrote:
memories...from the days when I use to mess with old XT's running at 10Mhz in turbo mode (lol - remember turbo mode?),

Do you remember the old NEC V20 chip? It was a pin-replacement CPU for the 8088. It ran about 20% faster and cost about $20 in 1986.

I remember boasting how my XT booted up in 70 seconds instead of 90. Smile

Mark
cdwaldron

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject:

Back a few years to my 1984 intro to computing. My very awesome Kaypro 4. It was a luggable. Great little 9" screen built in. Not having geeked when I went to college in the 60's I had a very stiff learning curve to use the stack of "Perfect" software and CPM. Your hands also got tired switching out the dual 360 k floppies (the Kaypro 10 had a 10meg hard drive as I remember but my machine had only floppies). It was a grand adventure!!
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject:

PCGUY,

"Well anyways, I talked to them via live help very recently and they said they apparently fixed the problem with the time limit and if it gets cut off after 60 minutes to contact them again via live help and they will "configure" my number... wierd but I have not had a chance to make a long call yet... "

Isn't that the way it always goes, you finally get a problem corrected and the opportunity to test it never presents itself. Karma Confused

But it is good to hear they are abandoning this practice.
lcompton

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: My Primary magicJack is Now Retired...

Good afternoon, pcguy760.

pcguy760 wrote:
WOW....you picture brought back soooo many memories...from the days when I use to mess with old XT's running at 10Mhz in turbo mode (lol - remember turbo mode?), then to AT's, etc and wow what a huge thing it was when your buddy got a 16 COLOR EGA monitor lol. Do you remember how heavy the CPU part of the computer was?! It was also funny how the monochrome monitors came in green, amber and white lol... I could go on and on... hehe. Hey btw you remember that cool game called hangman lol?

I do remember Hangman and many other P.C. games and free software. I used to use AsEasyAs on one of my computers since I only had one license for Lotus 1-2-3. I also used Wampum because I couldn't afford dBASE. I still have some of that old software on 3.5" floppy diskettes in a box somewhere. I used to play Hangman with friends of mine. There was also a free version of Tetris floating about back then. By-the-way, I ran a BBS from my home for a few years while attending undergraduate school. It was a gas having people dial-in to my BBS and upload software in the middle of the night. Each morning, before leaving for school, I'd have a look at the upload directory and see if anyone sent me any goodies. There were often fun programs in there.

The BBS software I used was PCBoard. It was awesome! Gosh, this brings back such memories. Does anyone remember Chuck Forsberg and ZModem? How about Jon Friel and the QModem Project? Remember Telix? Remember Kermit? All of the sudden there's this flood of memories from that period rushing back into my brain.

pcguy760 wrote:
DOS was god back then until windows 3.1 showed up then everyone who knew how to click a mouse was on a PC haha.

It wasn't just Windows that brought more folks to P.C.s. It was productivity software. Andrew Tobias' Managing Your Money, WordPerfect and tons of P.C. games like TrafCon for the gamers among us. It was quite a ride back then.

pcguy760 wrote:
Well anyways, I talked to them via live help very recently and they said they apparently fixed the problem with the time limit and if it gets cut off after 60 minutes to contact them again via live help and they will "configure" my number... wierd but I have not had a chance to make a long call yet...

I'm sorry to report that I have no ability to confirm this anymore. I converted my Thin Client to Skype this afternoon and am no longer using magicJack. It'll be interesting to see if anyone confirms this to be true. I'm not going to bother with it at this point. If I see a bunch of verifications that the call caps have been lifted, I may hook up my magicJack and give it a try just to satisfy my own curiosity. For now, I'm a Skype girl!

By-the-way, the DPH-50U installation on the Thin Client is very very unpleasant. I'm not sure I even want to bother documenting the procedure because it's a total pain.

pcguy760 wrote:
Also funny, my girlfriend's name is Lisa - haha.

Hehe. It's a common name, but I like it. There are one or two names I like better though.

Do have a lovely day! Smile
cdwaldron

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject:

PC760,
Just finished with "Live Chat" (you can't really call it help ,can you?)I had just been cut off at 60 min. and 1 sec. Talking to another MJ user. The chat person says there is no limit imposed by MJ. Hard to believe that there are still agents (even after being bumped 'up' a level) whose script book has them denying the limit.
I could feel a bit of heat coming on as they continued to deny it was happening so I left the chat before I became one of the screamers I so dislike.
Perhaps I will try again in a few days to have them 'reconfigure' my account as they suggested to you.
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject:

cdwaldron wrote:
PC760,
Just finished with "Live Chat" (you can't really call it help ,can you?)I had just been cut off at 60 min. and 1 sec. Talking to another MJ user. The chat person says there is no limit imposed by MJ. Hard to believe that there are still agents (even after being bumped 'up' a level) whose script book has them denying the limit.
I could feel a bit of heat coming on as they continued to deny it was happening so I left the chat before I became one of the screamers I so dislike.
Perhaps I will try again in a few days to have them 'reconfigure' my account as they suggested to you.

CD,

Usually you can "Chat Back" in just a couple of minutes and get a different person.

I am sure you have already tried it but what has worked for me in the past (albeit I avoid there Tech group like a case of adult male mumps) is chat with the first responder for just a few minutes and then ask them to escalate my chat up to the next level. The first responders ... well I won't even go there but they are just robots and I am not so sure that is a figure of speech.

I am trying to nudge oh heck goat you into see if they will really fix the problem for you because it is a real thorn for me. It doesn't effect me all that often but when it does it is always at the worst possible time.

I am sitting here with a Thin Client running MJ and Thin Client running Skype "In/Out" for $59 dollars a year and in all honesty it is great. The only thing it doesn't have that MJ has is "Call Waiting" something I don't like anyway. I personally think call waiting is rude i.e. "do you mind holding for a minute I have another call coming in and they might be more fun to talk to than you" Ugh!

Plus as ICOMPTON has mentioned more than once Skype post on there WEB Site the definition of "fair usage". Gosh such open honesty I don't know if I can handle it. By the way there idea of fair usage is 10,000 minutes or close to 5.5 hours a day per month. And I don't think they care if you do your 10,000 minutes in one call or five point five hours a day. Not that I would even want to stay on the phone for five hours, that could be painful.

Anyway, CD I double dare you Rolling Eyes to call them back and force them to fix your MJ ... hmmm that might be hard because they say there is nothing wrong. See the minute you start talking about MJ the company it always ends up sounding like the ramblings of a mad-man.
cdwaldron

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject:

OK George,
I couldn't resist a double dog dare. I got on live chat again and below is the transcript of the short conversation. The 'Diana" referred to is the 'upper' level agent I spoke to before.:

Nick: Hello, how may I help you?

Charles: Good evening

Nick: Good Evening , Charles.

Nick: How are you doing ?

Charles: I am trying to get you to configure my accoun so I no longer have the 60minute time limit on calls that I make on my Magic Jack

Nick: I am sorry for inconvenience, Charles

Nick: We are aware of the issue and we are working to get it fixed asap

Charles: One of the forums I frequent has a respondent who indicated that he had beeen told to go to live help if he encountered this 60 minute time limit and you could configure my account so that the limit no longer applied

Nick: Charles, your number has already been forwarded by our supervisor Diana.

Charles: Diana tells me there is no such limit

Nick: Your number is under consideration and we will fix the issue at earliest possible.

Charles: Thanks for your help, Nick. T'chau

So, I don't know where I/we am/are. Perhaps they really do 'fix' it on a case by case basis. A squeaky wheel thing. That's pretty sad. Perhaps if enough of us complain (although I think a beaucoup of us have already complained) They really will lift the limit. Diana told me they would discuss it in their next meeting ?!?

Will post any improvement if it appears.
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject:

CD,

Thanks it is not often that my "Double Dog Dare You" works as well as it did this time. Laughing

Quote:
"So, I don't know where I/we am/are. Perhaps they really do 'fix' it on a case by case basis. A squeaky wheel thing. That's pretty sad. Perhaps if enough of us complain (although I think a beaucoup of us have already complained) They really will lift the limit. Diana told me they would discuss it in their next meeting ?!?

I sure hope they do at least fix yours, besides it will set a precedence for the rest of us "I Salute you".

But back to picking on MJ the company, it just amazes me the double talk you can get in ONE call to MJ Tech Support.

In a little less than a paragraph they say "there is no CAP, "we will fix the CAP (that doesn't exist) just for you" and "we have escalated your complaint so that your nonexistent CAP will get taken care of in a timely manner".

Just another one of those things that make you go "Hmmm..." were did I go wrong in my life.

I have to stop now and go get a valium to deal with this somewhat paradoxical MJ Chat Support feedback before it makes me more emotionally ill than I already am or so people tell me. Confused
Boondocs
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My Primary magicJack is Now Retired...

lcompton wrote:

By-the-way, the DPH-50U installation on the Thin Client is very very unpleasant. I'm not sure I even want to bother documenting the procedure because it's a total pain.

Please!!!! I would love to know how ou got it working. Your write up's are very informative and help a lot of us members on the site.
lcompton

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: My Primary magicJack is Now Retired...

Good evening, Boondocs.

Boondocs wrote:
lcompton wrote:

Please!!!! I would love to know how ou got it working. Your write up's are very informative and help a lot of us members on the site.

I'm in the throes of writing a final entry to my lengthy review thread I began last spring. As I am now a former magicJack user, my presence here has come to a fast end and I will be migrating to a Skype users forum in the near future.

I'm not promising anything, but if I can find the time to do so, I will attempt to document the installation procedure to successfully get the DPH-50U functioning on a t5710 Thin Client with an O.E.M. flash image. It's not a pretty installation by any means.

My main focus is to create my final review entry and document that the magicJack experiment, for me, was a failure -- the viability of which was ultimately destroyed by the unacceptable implementation of 60-minute call caps on outbound calls.

I do wish everyone here the very best of luck with magicJack. No one can predict the future. Perhaps, magicJack will lift the call caps and Skype will go bust. Under those circumstances, I might very well wind up re-activating my magicJack.

Adieu. Smile
cdwaldron

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject:

Yes, Lisa Please do the write-up. I am sitting here with a DPH=50u I just got off ebay and an extra tc. Just 'cause you got one! And I need help. We would all enjoy the write-up
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:58 am    Post subject:

Boondocs, cdwaldron,

I am sure Lisa will in her characteristically excellent manner provide the group with a how to on the Thin Client and DPH-50U. (especially after this grand build up singing her praises).

But if anyone has any questions prior to her posting the how to let me know and I will do my level best to answer your questions in the interim.

1. Lisa used the AU-600 Drivers with DPH-50U.
2. I used the newest driver version from the D'Link support site I would suggest against using the CD that comes with the unit, it is way to old and missing some nice to have features.
3. Lisa found the install much more distasteful than I did, I have been using Vista since the day it came out so I am accustom to driver installs being a little ragged around the edges, albeit this was an XPe install.
4. I used the same driver Lisa is using at least for a time but being obsessed with finding the best whatever, driver in this case I think I tried them all. They all exhibited the same problematic install characteristics.
5. I finally settled on the Newest driver from D'Link support.
6. The only real problem I had with the drivers was the what almost ever Vista owner has had to put up with and that is leading the installer by the hand to find the different file components it claimed did not exist.
7. So if you have never had to nursemaid an installer it may disorient you but if you know what I am talking about and have been there you should have no problems at all.

PS - For all the drivers you may test for the DPH-50U hardware the file items it can't find are either in the System32 directory or the driver directory just below System32. The install will give you the opportunity to show it where the files live as long as you are not too quick to bailout of the install process.
Boondocs
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject:

HolmanGT wrote:
Boondocs, cdwaldron,

I am sure Lisa will in her characteristically excellent manner provide the group with a how to on the Thin Client and DPH-50U. (especially after this grand build up singing her praises).

But if anyone has any questions prior to her posting the how to let me know and I will do my level best to answer your questions in the interim.

1. Lisa used the AU-600 Drivers with DPH-50U.
2. I used the newest driver version from the D'Link support site I would suggest against using the CD that comes with the unit, it is way to old and missing some nice to have features.
3. Lisa found the install much more distasteful than I did, I have been using Vista since the day it came out so I am accustom to driver installs being a little ragged around the edges, albeit this was an XPe install.
4. I used the same driver Lisa is using at least for a time but being obsessed with finding the best whatever, driver in this case I think I tried them all. They all exhibited the same problematic install characteristics.
5. I finally settled on the Newest driver from D'Link support.
6. The only real problem I had with the drivers was the what almost ever Vista owner has had to put up with and that is leading the installer by the hand to find the different file components it claimed did not exist.
7. So if you have never had to nursemaid an installer it may disorient you but if you know what I am talking about and have been there you should have no problems at all.

PS - For all the drivers you may test for the DPH-50U hardware the file items it can't find are either in the System32 directory or the driver directory just below System32. The install will give you the opportunity to show it where the files live as long as you are not too quick to bailout of the install process.

Excellent thanks for the tips. I decided to use the image for TC from stroths recently and I am wondering if it will work a little better. Maybe I will give Skype a try and see how it works with that image.

Thanks again
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject:

Boondocs,

Stroths was using XP Pro, but his image is XPe so I don't know if you will notice andy difference.

And keep in mind the install is not BIG deal, just for some reason it needs a little help to find the files it just installed - "Go Figure"

PS - for anyone else that wants to have Skype as a back up Wal-Mart sells a gadget just like the D-Ling device only manufactured bye Zoom (the modem people)

PS - probably both made in the same chinese factory, they will put anyones label on something, including my clothes, silvershare (stainlesswhare) and the pots I use to cook with. Wink
Boondocs
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject:

HolmanGT wrote:
Boondocs,

Stroths was using XP Pro, but his image is XPe so I don't know if you will notice andy difference.

You know I thought that was xp full just cut down lol
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject:

Boondocs wrote:
HolmanGT wrote:
Boondocs,

You know I thought that was xp full just cut down lol

No I don't think so, I remember him saying something about it being a Corporate License and so he couldn't distribute it. So the images he did post were his hot-rod XPe (legal HP stuff).
free2talk
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Installing DPH-50U on thin client

So did Lisa ever get down to documenting the procedure for installing DPH-50U on a thin client running xpe ?
I couldn't find it on this forum for sure.If there are any pointers it would be great.
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing DPH-50U on thin client

free2talk wrote:
So did Lisa ever get down to documenting the procedure for installing DPH-50U on a thin client running xpe ?
I couldn't find it on this forum for sure.If there are any pointers it would be great.

I don't know if she did "free" but here is the last note I received from her prior to jumping ship Very Happy , hope it helps:

"This is excellent feedback! Iím pleased that Skype runs on the Thin Client. If the DPH-50U installs successfully on your Thin Client, Iíll have a go at setting this up on my Thin Client this weekend.

I did end up finding a better driver and better installation instructions for the DPH-50U. Download the driver here:

http://www.atcom.cn/down/userguide/EN/AU-600/AU600-SKYPE-V1.40.07SL01_SL3800.zip

and, follow the detailed installation instructions here:

http://www.von-phone.com/Skype-Gateway-Installation.php

This is the driver I am using presently and it is excellent. For one thing, the driver is more current than the D-Link driver and the instructions for installation are easier since no path navigation is required.

Donít worry about the fact that the driver is not D-Link branded. The underlying hardware for the DPH-50U and the Atcom AU-600 is identical. It seems that the folks supplying the Atcom took greater care in developing and updating the drivers for their hardware, which benefits the rest of us.

Iím going to post an update to my original post for the driver/installation instructions to phoneservicesupport.com once I can get a moment."
cdwaldron

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject:

Go to the lounge section and scroll down to a topic "skype on thin client" and you will see a conversation with lcompton about the device.
free2talk
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject:

Holman,
Thanks.Will use the driver suggested by you.It seems the Dlink drivers are a big resource hog(source - newegg review of this item)
and we need all the juice we can get from our magnificent thin clients.

The plan is to use magic jack on the PSTN port of DPH50U and skype for making international calls.Their one country for 6 bucks a month is cheap
and i need to make calls to london only so i am really looking forward to this solution.
I hope the HP T5720 does not run into power problems with too many usb deivces plugged in ,well at least 2 -DPH 50U and MagicJack for now.

I have the DPH50U delivered to me today ,cant wait to go home and start the experiment Smile
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject:

free2talk,

I am sure you will have plenty of USB power to spare. I had it all running on a T5730 just fine. The T5730 uses the same power supply and as far as I can tell the same guts as the T5720.

The only think that I can see that they have done differently in the 5730 is got rid of all the really fancy heat sinks with spring loaded securing points.

I always wondered how they could put all that fancy mechanical stuff with active & passive heat exchangers plus heat sink assemblies that looked more like the stuff Geek Over-Clockers use in a 5720 and still make a profit.

Anyway the only "problem" I had installing anything was helping the installer find some of the files that it said it couldn't find. They are there the installer just gets lazy and wants some help.
free2talk
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 3:18 am    Post subject:

ok Holman bad news so far.i installed the A600U drivers and no go.Says dlink device not connected on the thin client.Uninstalled that and installed the latest dlink driver V1.01.The thin client does not seem to detect the dlink device even with the dlink driver.
Did you face this problem ? It seems my 5720 does not seem to detect the dlink thingy which is strange.its being detected by my hp laptop so the 50u box seems to be ok but the icon stays red on my thin client.any suggestions ?
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject:

free2talk,

No I did not have any experiences like that. After I told it how to find the files it couldn't find it just worked.

If you go into the device manager do you see any drivers displaying the question mark or exclamation mark in yellow?

Do you get the "System" beep when you plug your unit into a USB port?

It has been awhile since I played with Skype, but I think you have to go into the Skype configuration and tell it to use the D'Link device (or give it permission to access Skype, as they call it). Now don't take my word for it on this one - I am operating from a gut feeling. Actually it ask you if it is OK for D'Link to access Skype and the first couple of times I missed it because the window doing the asking was covered up by something else.

The only thing at the moment that I can tell you for sure is that it does work and works very well once you get past some of the little quirks.
free2talk
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject:

Holman
Thanks for the reply.The device manager status is ok for all the installation.
No yellow excl marks.I managed to point the installer to kuser.dll and ks.sys
Everything went great.Thats why its strange that the TC is not detecting the
DPH50U.I tried getting into skype menu and changed the sound settings.Have tried everything still no go.
Only thing i did was i installed it first on my laptop and then tried to install on the thin client.I dont know if that has any bearing on this.
Will keep digging.Is there any way to flash the DPH50U to factory settings ?
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject:

free2talk wrote:
Holman
Thanks for the reply.The device manager status is ok for all the installation.
No yellow excl marks.I managed to point the installer to kuser.dll and ks.sys
Everything went great.Thats why its strange that the TC is not detecting the
DPH50U.I tried getting into skype menu and changed the sound settings.Have tried everything still no go.
Only thing i did was i installed it first on my laptop and then tried to install on the thin client.I dont know if that has any bearing on this.
Will keep digging.Is there any way to flash the DPH50U to factory settings ?

Not that I know of, unfortunately.
VoipDude

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject:

For those of you who do not own a D-Link DPH-50U phone adapter, and desire to use Skype, you can use your existing magicJack dongle instead of the DPH-50U. It works better in my opinion, and of course spares you the additional expense of purchasing an adapter.
free2talk
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject:

Dude,
Can i switch between skype and magicjack on the same machine with one adapter between them.Thats what DPH 50U does and i would be surprised if the jack adapter does the same.
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 12:32 am    Post subject:

VoipDude & Free2talk

OK both of you have peaked my interest.

1. How do you make an MJ work with Skype?

2. How do you make a DPH50U work with Skype and MJ on one computer. I had tried that - "No Worky" but you got me to thinking if you had Skype on one thin client and MJ on another, well that should work no problem.

But handset => MJ => Skype, now that sounds like black magic. But I am all ears except for one other part of my anatomy - exactly what is left as an exercise for the reader. Laughing
VoipDude

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject:

free2talk: Yes, you can switch between the two (Skype & magicJack).

HolmanGT: Yes, you can use any phone plugged into the MJ dongle to make and receive Skype calls. You can even upload your Skype contacts to the cordless phone you are using - this way you can speed dial your Skype contacts from your ordinary cordless phone.

I do not own a Thin Client, but rather use a Laptop loaded with Vista. I'm sure you TC gods can figure out how to configure your TC to utilize this.

I will post how to do this in the (magicJack Tips, Tricks & Hacks) section of the forum.
VoipDude

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject:

I have now posted instructions in the (magicJack Tips, Tricks and Hacks) forum.

VoipDude
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject:

VoipDude wrote:
I have now posted instructions in the (magicJack Tips, Tricks and Hacks) forum.

VoipDude

Thanks VoipDude for your excellent find and post.
VoipDude

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject:

You're welcome. That's what it's all about - making life a little easier for one another. Very Happy
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject:

VoipDude wrote:
You're welcome. That's what it's all about - making life a little easier for one another. Very Happy

Salute !!!
free2talk
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 2:56 am    Post subject:

Holman.
My idea was to use the DPH 50 U which has 2 lines.One for the normal phone where i was planning to plug in the line from magicjack and the other line was to be used for skype.VOIP dude has gone one step ahead and says we can use the same dongle for both , wow...
Gotta try this out this forum rocks Smile
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject:

free2talk wrote:
Holman.
My idea was to use the DPH 50 U which has 2 lines.One for the normal phone where i was planning to plug in the line from magicjack and the other line was to be used for skype.VOIP dude has gone one step ahead and says we can use the same dongle for both , wow...
Gotta try this out this forum rocks Smile

Free,

Let me know how the MJ dongle works for you, I had tried the combo that you were going to originally use and it didn't work out very well. Sorry I don't remember the details. But VoipDudes method sounds better anyway. Just make sure you picked up on the latest IP-Phone link that has been posted. I booked marked that puppy.
kstuart
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:24 am    Post subject:

free2talk (or anyone else),

Did you ever get the DPH-50U to work on your thin client T5720 ?

I have tried the D-Link DPH-50U software (1.1) as well as the AU-600 VoIP Gateway software. After plugging in my DPH-50U, "...Device Not Present" is still indicated.

Stuart
lcompton

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Help Is Here...

Good evening.

For those of whom desire detailed instructions on how I got the D-Link DPH-50U functioning on my Hewlett Packard t5710 Thin Client, I have created some supplemental instructions for getting everything functioning with Skype here.

Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: