magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

5 minute limit

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterd2010
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the facts as I know them:
1) The problem began about a month ago (after 4-5 months of no problems)
2) Most calls (more than 90%), maybe ALL calls, initiated by the phone connected to the MJ unit result in the other party's incoming audio being dropped after five minutes. they can still hear me, but I can't hear them.
3) Incoming calls are NEVER affected.
4) I haven't done much testing with non-Canadian #s because I don't call non-Canadian #s a lot so I'll say "local (areas code 204) numbers I call"are affected, and I suspect that others numbers are affected as well.
5) NONE of the countless hours of changes to firewall and security settings, disabling virus software, updating Magicjack, changing DNS entries, or rebooting router or PC have done a single thing to fix the problem.

I believe that MJ support can't admit they don't know what the issue is so they waste your time making you jump through one desperate tech hoop after another until you get tired of it or run out of time and then they figure it's fixed. Clue: IT'S NOT!
magicJoke26
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problem here (705 area code). I spent hours trying everything on my end (until I found this thread). Definitely the problem is on their end. We should all flood their chat support daily until they acknowledge they have a problem.
mzteek
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: 5 minute limit Reply with quote

I have a 204 area code in Canada and am having the same 5 minute out going call limit. I have tried the following to no avail other than fustration:

Unplugged the moden, MJ and everthing that could ever need resetting
ran countless upgrades
made numerous port exceptions
adjusted the audio settings
diabled / removed the outlook addon
unistalled
ran a resistry cleanner
and finally reinstalled it
and............
still a 5 minute max on out going calls!

I am stumped and don't know what to try next. I can't spend another minute online with MJ tech support!

I am also getting busy signals, network problem msgs and am not able to call forward my MJ to my cell phone.

Dose anyone have a suggested way to resolve this other than pitching it in the trash?

Thanks!

Last edited by mzteek on Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Insteadof
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Ouch Reply with quote

Other than call them everday and ask when it going to be fixed I have nothing to add. It isn't anything with your system/settings it is an MJ issue and they need to come to the table. I guess bad press is the only thing left.
chucky365
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Antoher 5 minute thread started Reply with quote

http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/who-is-limiting-my-calls-to-canada-to-5-minutes-t10158.html

Someone started another thread on this Canadian 5 minute limit.
chucky365
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: And another 5 minute limit thread Reply with quote

http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/five-minute-limit-for-canadian-subscribers-t10151.html

I feel so bad and embarrassed for recommending the MJ to my friends.
Insteadof
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: Refresh the account?? Reply with quote

I don't know what a refresh is but things have been running Ok for the last few days. I call them everyday to see if there is an update.

Please wait for a site operator to respond.
You are now chatting with 'Aram'
Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK43605061036X
Aram: Hello, how may I help you?
Me: Is there any update on the issue where the call is limited to 5 minutes?
Aram: No, May I have your magicJack phone number please ?
Me: xxx-xxx-xxxx
Aram: Please wait while I check that for you
Aram: Thank you for waiting...
Aram: Please run the latest upgrade below
Aram: http://upgrades.magicjack.com/upgrade/upgrade.exe
Me: Is this any different than the one I was given Monday. I have run it everyday and still get the problem.
Aram: I will be right with you.
Aram: Do you have active anti-virus or Internet security suite in there ?
Me: yes. Symantec anti-virus. It has been running along with MJ since March without a problem until the update a few weeks ago. Oh the other system has McAfee and also has the problem
Aram: Can you locate the firewall on it ?
Me: What I really need to know is if it is a known problem and it is being worked by MJ. I can live with that.
Me: I have been through all the firewall settings with other "chat" people. All is fine.
Aram: Hold on.. let me check your account again
Aram: Thank you for waiting..
Aram: There's no problem on your account, I already refreshed it also, Please monitor your mj within 24 hours. If you still having the same problem, please do not hesitate to chat us back here
Me: Thank you. Bye for now.
Aram: You're welcome
Aram: Is there anything else I may help you with today?
Aram: I have not heard from you in a while. Do you wish to continue this chat session?
Me: sorry, no I'm finished. Do you think that a "refresh" of the account has anything to do with the issue?
Aram: Yes, but if you still having the same problem, please do not hesitate to chat us back here

Now, the MJ has been work 100% for the last 3 days. The first call after this call to them failed. THe next call lasted 12:35 before I ended it.
Insteadof
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Bas^%$#ds Reply with quote

Well, after working all week they "refreshed" my account and the last 3 calls went for 5 minutes and died. What a bunch of clueless twits. Back to the chat to get another refresh and hopefully I will be put on a working server.
Insteadof
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: DNS Entry? Reply with quote

Just got off Chat yet again. An interesting session. Seems like the agent knew all about the issue and had me enter a DNS address. Make sense.

Please wait for a site operator to respond.

You are now chatting with 'Nataie'

Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK43605070006X

Nataie: Hello, how may I help you?

Neil: please have one of your managers view this chat. This is my 10th call this week.

Neil: I called about the 5 minute problem earlier today.

Neil: Things were working fine all week and I wanted to know if there was a fix.

Nataie: Your call cuts after 5 minutes, is that correct?

Neil: YES!!!!

Neil: the person reset my account and now every call cuts out

Nataie: Do you want me to transfer you to the higher level of support>?

Neil: here is the call from today!!!Please wait for a site operator to respond. You are now chatting with 'Aram' Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK43605061036X Aram: Hello, how may I help you? Me: Is there any update on the issue where the call is limited to 5 minutes? Aram: No, May I have your magicJack phone number please ? Me: xxx-xxx-xxxx Aram: Please wait while I check that for you Aram: Thank you for waiting... Aram: Please run the latest upgrade below Aram: http://upgrades.magicjack.com/upgrade/upgrade.exe Me: Is this any different than the one I was given Monday. I have run it everyday and still get the problem. Aram: I will be right with you. Aram: Do you have active anti-virus or Internet security suite in there ? Me: yes. Symantec anti-virus. It has been running along with MJ since March without a problem until the update a few weeks ago. Oh the other system has McAfee and also has the problem Aram: Can you locate the firewall on it ? Me: What I really need to know is if it is a known problem and it is being worked by MJ. I can live with that. Me: I have been through all the firewall settings with other "chat" people. All is fine. Aram: Hold on.. let me check your account again Aram: Thank you for waiting.. Aram: There's no problem on your account, I already refreshed it also, Please monitor your mj within 24 hours. If you still having the same problem, please do not hesitate to chat us back here Me: Thank you. Bye for now. Aram: You're welcome Aram: Is there anything else I may help you with today? Aram: I have not heard from you in a while. Do you wish to continue this chat session? Me: sorry, no I'm finished. Do you think that a "refresh" of the account has anything to do with the issue? Aram: Yes, but if you still having the same problem, please do not hesitate to chat us back here

Nataie: One moment please...

Neil: Please,,, it worked fine for 6 months and now this after me telling 4 other people to buy it

Nataie: Thank you for waiting

Nataie: Is your MJ device plugged in right now?

Neil: yes

Nataie: Are you able to see your dial pad on your computer screen right now?

Neil: yes

Nataie: Please follow these steps:

Nataie: Please click the Windows �START� button and select �Control Panel� ( if not in Classic view; click �Switch to classic view�).

Neil: are you going to tell me to look at the firewall AGAIN???

Nataie: We will add DNS for your magicjack

Neil: OK in the control panel

Nataie: Please double click �Network Connection� and tell me your active connection.

Neil: it is Local Area Connection Broadcom NetLink

Nataie: Now please right click on the �Local Are Connection� and select �Properties�

Neil: done

Nataie: In the box under �This connection uses the following items:�, please scroll down and look for �Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)� the double click on it.

Neil: done

Nataie: In there, please check the little circle that says �use the following DNS Server address�. In Preferred DNS Server type in: 67.90.152.122, in Alternate DNS Server type in: 67.107.71.186 click OK and OK.

Neil: ok done

Nataie: Close that window

Nataie: Please restart your dial pad, click Menu>advanced users>restart

Neil: ok it shut down and restarted ok

Nataie: Try to place a test call

Neil: doing it now to my cell beside me

Nataie: Alright

Neil: connected and waiting

Nataie: okay

Neil: sorry for my anger. It is very frustrating as this has worked for months, then the updgrade

Nataie: Yes, I understand what you feel Neil

Neil: if MJ would just send a message to acknowledge the problem then I can live wiht the fact that it is broken and you are working on it

Neil: 1:50 into call

Neil: 3:00 and OK

Nataie: Okay

Neil: ok!! past the 5:00 mark.

Nataie: Great

Nataie: How was it?

Neil: not sure if this is the full solution, but a lot of people at http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/5-minute-limit-t9646-45.html would be happy to know it.

Neil: thank you for your help I will continue to monitor. As I said, sorry for the anger, but I recommended the product and it stopped working

Nataie: That's okay Neil I understand you

Nataie: Is there anything else I may help you with today?

Neil: No do I just leave the entry and consider it a fix?

Nataie: Yes Neil

Neil: thank you. Bye for now
chucky365
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: You are the man Insteadof Reply with quote

Well Neil this works for me too for now. I can call out over the 5 minute limit without getting cut off. I ended my call by hanging up at the 6 minute mark and it was still working at that time.

Thank You
BrentOwen
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I had a chat session too and they gave me the same instructions. I just set the DNS as per your chat (and mine). They also asked me to open up some ports but I have not done this yet. So far I made only one phone call, and it worked fine. My call was for 10 minutes without any problems.

I will keep everybody informed if this continues to work.

It would have been nice if they emailed us to let us know that they are having a problem in Canada. They just made a lot of angry people and lost a bunch of customers to NetTalk.
asperger
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: using magicjack dns...wtf are you thinking. Reply with quote

insteadof said "As I said, sorry for the anger, but I recommended the product and it stopped working "

I think that using magicjack dns servers is even worse than not being able to make call that last longer than five minutes; if you regret recommending magicjack in the first place, don't compound that regret by advising the poor suckers who followed your advice into bastardizing their internet connection as well.

Like you, i also regret my whole magicjack experience, but there is no way i'm ever going to route my dns queries through magicjack servers.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: using magicjack dns...wtf are you thinking. Reply with quote

asperger wrote:
insteadof said "As I said, sorry for the anger, but I recommended the product and it stopped working "

I think that using magicjack dns servers is even worse than not being able to make call that last longer than five minutes; if you regret recommending magicjack in the first place, don't compound that regret by advising the poor suckers who followed your advice into bastardizing their internet connection as well.

Like you, i also regret my whole magicjack experience, but there is no way i'm ever going to route my dns queries through magicjack servers.

Amen......... No way Jose`. Like the wolf guarding the hen house.. Uh uh

I use OPEN DNS and never had any problem with my MJ in over 2 years.
No idea if that is why, but it works for me.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BrentOwen
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have MJ running on a separate computer that is only used for MJ. Will setting up the network connection using the DNS servers that MJ suggested affect all of the computers on my network? Also, does opening the ports they suggest also degrade my network security.
chucky365
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that didn't last long. Today I am back to the 5 minute limit with my Canadian number. When I changed to the setting Preferred DNS Server type in: 67.90.152.122, in Alternate DNS Server type in: 67.107.71.186 it only worked for one call. Then I registers and setup with OpenDNS and still have the 5 minute limit.
split01
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

same thing for me... 5mins exactly...

I made some tests with different providers. I've noticed this happens only with bell! I can talk over 5,10,15min with rogers and telus.

How about you guys?
asperger
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: it's magicjack Reply with quote

split01 wrote:
... noticed this happens only with bell...

happens with Bell, telus, rogers; it's not carrier specific, it's magicjack.

note to self: in the future, never buy phone service from a company with no phone.
chucky365
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: it's magicjack Reply with quote

asperger wrote:

note to self: in the future, never buy phone service from a company with no phone.

Now that is funny!
jerry west
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: 5 minute call drop - this fix worked for me Reply with quote

I can't take credit for this, as I read it somewhere else, on another thread, but it has worked for me and now my MJ is working normal - no more 5 min. call drops.

1. Get the uninstall majicjack.exe from the MJ website, and uninstall the software from your computer.

2. after the uninstall in done, wait 5 mins, and plug in the MJ, without the phone cord attatched. The Mj will start up and re-install itself.

3. connect phone cord and try a test call. It has worked for me without fail and have been using it for 3 days now very suceesfully.

Good luck....................hope it helps
split01
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerry west,

never found uninstall magicjack.exe on MJ website... Do you happen to have a link? I would like to try your solution. Thanks!
tsmith
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you're on the MJ website, click on FAQ near the bottom of the page, on the next page do a search with "uninstall" as the keyword. Then click on "How do I uninstall magicJack from my computer?"
jerry west
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: re 5 minute cut Reply with quote

when i uninstalled and then reinstalled, the MJ worked fine for 3 days, then the 5 minute cut began all over again.

i spent time on the chat line with different techs, changing the ports on my router and other tricks, and sometimes i get to call as normal, other times the 5 minute cut returns.

this seems to be a software problem that came about a few weeks ago, and the big guys at MJ need to send out a upgrade fix.
rbsmith2000
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What really increased the reliability for me were these, especially after a software upgrade destabilized it:

Replace Norton AV with Microsoft Security Essentials
Remove ALG support (all 4 versions) from my router - I was really surprised by this.
Prioritize background tasks over applications.

My PCs are dedicated, aging laptops. Low CPU and low memory (by design). I suspect that CPU power and memory are 'brute force' solutions for other problems. Try those changes and see.
eddiemcm
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: 5 minute limit in Houston, Tx Reply with quote

I have 5 minute block on calls using AT&T DSL.When I use the
Realtek software that came with my USB adapter to access internet,
there is no 5 minute block.I always thought that this problem was
because I was connected to an overloaded MJ server.Does anyone
have any insight on this?
eddiemcm
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: 5 minute problem Reply with quote

I replaced my DSL modem and have had no more 5 minute
blocking stuff-hmmm...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: