magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A look at the new Magic jack

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Features coming to Magic Jack
View previous topic :: View next topic  
telltom
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: A look at the new Magic jack Reply with quote

Here you can see it on the table. It's got two little antenna and picks up the cell phone signal relays it to the computer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyRnDQw2b2U
Nobody beats the Whiz!
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still doesn't answer some important questions, but I liked the "behind the scenes" look.

Dan isn't looking so good, these days.
macman4hire
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for posting this information. I can see how this may possible increase market share for magicJack by piggybacking of the rapidly growing cellular market share. I can for see this replacing the current USB dongle in the near future at the indicated $40.00 price point. If I had a choose between the devices I would definitely choose FemtoJack device over the current USB dongle.

You could have a FemtoJack setup your home, the office at work, your relatives homes, etc. and save big time on your cellular bill costs.
Nobody beats the Whiz!
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macman4hire wrote:
Thank you for posting this information. I can see how this may possible increase market share for magicJack by piggybacking of the rapidly growing cellular market share. I can for see this replacing the current USB dongle in the near future at the indicated $40.00 price point. If I had a choose between the devices I would definitely choose FemtoJack device over the current USB dongle.

You could have a FemtoJack setup your home, the office at work, your relatives homes, etc. and save big time on your cellular bill costs.

I think it's too early to get excited.

If all it does is replace the standard phone with a cell, then it's not really a big deal. Cordless phones work just fine.

It seems to be a bit of slick marketing suggesting that somehow your regular cell calls will come over the FemtoJack for "free." I'm doubtful.

In fact, I think all you're doing is answering and placing calls using your regular MJ number, with a cell phone as the handset. It's okay if you have an old unused GSM cell laying around, and you don't want to bother with a regular corded or cordless phone.

However, if you sync your active cell phone to the FJ while at home, then won't you miss your actual cell calls?

These are the types of questions that need to be answered.

FJ would be more convenient for travel, I suppose. Cell phones are generally compact, and the lack of a cord is nice. Of course, you'll still need your charger. I wonder about international travel, where the frequency rules are different...
Robert121571
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:07 am    Post subject: what the FCC going to say?? Reply with quote

I would love to sit in the FCC office when this gets going. I got a funny feeling this will never pass muster with the FCC. I know you can have a cell repeater in your home legally. Since it doesn't change what carrier the phone is on just retransmits what it hears but a device that is on the same frequency as the cell carriers that is taking over is going to be a different story.

To make this easy to understand. If you had this in your house running. What will happen to someone else GSM cell phone when they are going by your place or even your neighbors. Any one that has ever played with a FM transmitter on and ipod or other such device will understand this that if you put it on the same frequency as a radio station if your close enough you will still block out the station.

I am an amateur radio operator so I understand this stuff about how protective business are about their radio spectrum they are licensed for.

Guess we will just have to wait and see what happens.
pinkysbrain
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it'll be fun to watch, but since I have CDMA I will only ever be a spectator.
MrBeamer
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: what the FCC going to say?? Reply with quote

Robert121571 wrote:
...To make this easy to understand. If you had this in your house running. What will happen to someone else GSM cell phone when they are going by your place or even your neighbors. Any one that has ever played with a FM transmitter on and ipod or other such device will understand this that if you put it on the same frequency as a radio station if your close enough you will still block out the station.

As I understand it; the Magicjack has to be set up for YOUR cell phone. Someone walking by your place would not be able to set their phone to work on your magicjack (unless they hacked a way in of course). Also, there is no FCC requirment about the frequency as long as it it inside your house. But, rules are made to be changed.... stay tuned!
sctirvn687
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:28 am    Post subject: Keeping MJ Number Reply with quote

Do you think that if and when this new Magicjack comes out we will be able to transfer our existing MJ number to it?
dz20854
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installing a FemtoJack is like setting up a mini cell tower in your home; an additional source of harmful electromagnetic radiation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnCnmHK5KTA

I'll stick with my regular MagicJack. (BTW, I've eliminated WIFI from my home. All internet connections are now wired).
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you had time to get your tin foil hat too???

Joe Sica
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nobody beats the Whiz!
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The radio waves are so strong in my house, that I've been known to tune in Tokyo.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW you yourself tune in Tokyo?? Must have A LOT of fillings in your teeth Smile I am afraid to ask what body part you use tune them in Smile

Joe Sica
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Robert121571
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: what the FCC going to say?? Reply with quote

MrBeamer wrote:
Robert121571 wrote:
...To make this easy to understand. If you had this in your house running. What will happen to someone else GSM cell phone when they are going by your place or even your neighbors. Any one that has ever played with a FM transmitter on and ipod or other such device will understand this that if you put it on the same frequency as a radio station if your close enough you will still block out the station.

As I understand it; the Magicjack has to be set up for YOUR cell phone. Someone walking by your place would not be able to set their phone to work on your magicjack (unless they hacked a way in of course). Also, there is no FCC requirment about the frequency as long as it it inside your house. But, rules are made to be changed.... stay tuned!

I understand where your going about them not being able to connect to the device in your home. But and that is the BIG but what interference will it cause to their phone as they go by.

Also you think the FCC rules don't apply to stuff in your house. Wrong guess again. Just do a search on line for people that have gotten fines for stuff in their house that caused interference.

Like I said trust me I hold a FCC license. And when your sign that you have to read the rules.

Fact is if you look on the back of most any thing you own look for a label that says part 15. It basicly says this device may accept interference but must not cause interference to a licenced device.

Short hand of laws goes right to if that device causes problems and it is reported it must be shut down NOW no its ands or buts about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Features coming to Magic Jack All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: