magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A simple question about the dongle...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shannon74
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: A simple question about the dongle... Reply with quote

This should seem simple, but after upgrading to Windows 7, I have been stumped!

In XP, when I finished using the MagicJack, I always safely removed the device and then disconnected the dongle from the USB port. I didn't realize that in Windows 7, although you can disconnect flash drives using the "Eject" feature, that the MagicJack doesn't appear as a ejectable device. I tried killing the software in Task Manager, but the dongle remained lit. I would also prefer not disconnect after the computer is off, because I understand that can sometimes make the MJ servers think you are still active (thereby causing voicemail not to activate properly).

Any suggestions on how to safely disconnect in Windows 7? I searched the forum, but didn't see a thread specifically on this issue.

Thank you.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: A simple question about the dongle... Reply with quote

shannon74 wrote:
This should seem simple, but after upgrading to Windows 7, I have been stumped!

In XP, when I finished using the MagicJack, I always safely removed the device and then disconnected the dongle from the USB port. I didn't realize that in Windows 7, although you can disconnect flash drives using the "Eject" feature, that the MagicJack doesn't appear as a ejectable device. I tried killing the software in Task Manager, but the dongle remained lit. I would also prefer not disconnect after the computer is off, because I understand that can sometimes make the MJ servers think you are still active (thereby causing voicemail not to activate properly).

Any suggestions on how to safely disconnect in Windows 7? I searched the forum, but didn't see a thread specifically on this issue.Thank you.

Although it wasn't directed at Win 7 directly this HAS been discussed here. After the last "Lucky You" update one can't safely remove hardware as we did before. Here is my post on that subject ( which works for me, but I am using XP). After that I will post the link so you can read all the posts on the subject:

I just saw this on another web page which makes removing the MJ hardware safely much easier after the update. :

Create a new shortcut. When it comes up and says type in the location, paste the following w/o quotes:
" %windir%\System32\taskkill.exe /F /IM magicJack.exe "
Hit NEXT.
It will call it killtask.exe, or something like that. I renamed it to " MJ Kill ". You can name it to your preference.

Now, I shrink the MJ window, double-click the MJ Kill shortcut, and then use the little green arrow to safely eject the hardware as before.

Great find! Works in XP SP3.

Certainly beats my racing around over the screen. Better yet, it works!!

This was posted on http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r23885186-LUCKY-YOU-Update~start=20

Works like a charm..

Here is the link to the full topic http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/how-can-i-safely-remove-hardware-i-m-having-issues-with-it-t8612.html

Joe Sica
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TransferCutter
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's time a FAQ was posted for dealing with the MJ and Win7.
I was searching for answers to a few questions so I would be informed before I plug into my win7 machine.
I never knew about this topic.

Anybody with experience care to take on the task?
synchron
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: A simple question about the dongle... Reply with quote

bitstopjoe wrote:

Create a new shortcut. When it comes up and says type in the location, paste the following w/o quotes:
" %windir%\System32\taskkill.exe /F /IM magicJack.exe "
Hit NEXT.
It will call it killtask.exe, or something like that. I renamed it to " MJ Kill ". You can name it to your preference.

Now, I shrink the MJ window, double-click the MJ Kill shortcut, and then use the little green arrow to safely eject the hardware as before.

Great find! Works in XP SP3.

Certainly beats my racing around over the screen. Better yet, it works!!
Joe Sica

I have XP and and after 'Lucky You' it still doesn't gracefully exit from 'safely remove Hardware' claiming that something is still running off the Generic Volume even though I closed mj with Taskkill.

Does it only work if you have SP3 because I am still on SP2?

Synchron Cool
Intimmy98
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sychron;

The task kill method Joe mentioned (Thanks again Joe) is a huge time saver since the last 'Lucky You" swamped the dongle disconnect process.

I use XP SP3 but it should work for SP2 as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: