magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advanced Call Features Do not Work?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyberpunk
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Advanced Call Features Do not Work? Reply with quote

I have had Magic Jack Plus with my ported phone number for over a year now and the only issue I have had is with the "Advanced Call Feature" that I have chosen: "I elect to accept outgoing service only". It doesn't work. I can still receive calls. I have been around in circles with Chat Support for the last 2 months and they do not fix this issue. I simply do not want to be able to receive calls, only make outgoing calls. So, I chose to turn Voice Mail OFF and unplug my phone from the Magic Jack Plus so it would only ring for the caller and guess what? Sometimes they can still leave a voice mail! I simply only need Magic Jack for outgoing calls, not receiving any. I am having a real problem with Robo-Calls and Telemarketers. I am registered with the Gov "do not call list" and after registering complaints on the Gov website about many specific telemarketer's numbers the problem got even worse. So much for the Gov's do not call list! That's why I simply do not want to receive calls, only outgoing.

Can't the Magic Jack company fix their own Advanced Call Feature options? What's up with this? What's the point of having Advanced Call Features if they don't work?

Last edited by Cyberpunk on Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
SteveHC
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't imagine why you're having the difficulties that you are having; all of those features work perfectly fine for *me*. If you were to log into your online MJ account right now and look at those settings as they currently are, would you find that they appear to be as you last set them or have they somehow been "reset" (not by you) to their original "default" settings?
Cyberpunk
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveHC wrote:
I can't imagine why you're having the difficulties that you are having; all of those features work perfectly fine for *me*. If you were to log into your online MJ account right now and look at those settings as they currently are, would you find that they appear to be as you last set them or have they somehow been "reset" (not by you) to their original "default" settings?

For the last 2 months that I've wanted only outgoing service I've regularly checked the settings and they have stayed with the changes I made. But I still receive calls.

Question: What is supposed to happen when someone calls your number if you have your settings for only outgoing service? Do they get a recording that this number is not accepting calls or something?
SteveHC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies; those advanced features are currently only partially functional. Specifically:

Regarding a MagicJack Plus that is connected directly to a router - Selecting to "accept incoming service only" or "accept outgoing service only" does not work; regardless of the setting, the device is able to both receive and initiate calls.

Regarding installed apps, and both the MagicJack Plus and standard MagicJack devices when they are connected directly to a computer - Selecting to "accept incoming service only" DOES work (when selected, cannot make outgoing calls), but selecting to "accept outgoing service only" does NOT work (when selected, incoming calls are still received and the device's or app's ringer rings when receiving a call).

Regarding turning Voicemail "off" - The setting does not actually turn off your voicemail box altogether, it merely turns off its TIMER. Thus, when that option is selected incoming calls go DIRECTLY to your voicemail box; de-selecting it enables the incoming call ring timer.

The voicemail "on/off" option is working as it was intended; the MJ voicemail system has no way of actually completely disabling a subscriber's voicemail box. If you do not wish to take incoming calls and do not wish them to go to voicemail, the easiest "work-around" is to simply set your MJ voicemail delay to its maximum (I believe it's currently 3 minutes - that is more than long enough to stop a "robocall" or whatever) AND turn off the connected phone's ringer at the phone itself (nearly all phones these days have such capability built into them, via either a physical switch or a setting within the phone's setup menu system; as a last resort you could simply turn the phone's ringer volume down to its lowest setting which usually means "off" anyway). As an absolute last resort you can always get a CHEAP answering machine (if you don't already have one hanging around), connect it between your MJ+ and your phone, set it to pick up incoming calls before they go to MJ voicemail, and set it to not record incoming messages/calls (they all have such a feature - even the cheapest ones have at least an "outgoing message only" setting).
Cyberpunk
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveHC wrote:
My apologies; those advanced features are currently only partially functional. .

Well, I appreciate your input, but, you went from all those features work perfectly to almost none of the features do what they say. As to the voice mail turning off feature, your dead wrong. Voice mail "Turn Off" is supposed to do just that, turn OFF your voice mail, not turn off delay. When I call my phone number with the Voice Mail Off setting, it rings for 3 minutes and then disconnects. That's what its supposed to do, according to the tech. It works most every time. I say most every time because once in a while (every couple weeks or so) someone is able to leave a voice mail. Many of these Magic Jack feature settings seem to partially work and inconsistent at best.

I was recently contacted by a Magic Jack Rep and they said they sent my issue to their software developer because the settings should be working as described.
SteveHC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyberpunk wrote:
I was recently contacted by a Magic Jack Rep and they said they sent my issue to their software developer because the settings should be working as described.

- Good luck with that. But in the meantime, if you really don't want to deal with incoming calls and/or voicemail messages, I suggest you do as I recommended in my most previous post.
Cyberpunk
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveHC wrote:
Cyberpunk wrote:

- Good luck with that. But in the meantime, if you really don't want to deal with incoming calls and/or voicemail messages, I suggest you do as I recommended in my most previous post.

Yeah, I would do that except I have a wireless digital phone system with integrated digital answering and when the answer is turned off after 10 or 12 rings it turns on and asks for code to turn answer on. But leaving my phone unplugged and having MJ voice mail off the last 2 months seems to have helped a lot. I plugged the phone in the last couple days and not a single call. I was getting 5 or 6 every morning and 5 or 6 every evening and a couple in the afternoon every freaking day without fail. I think a couple months of ringing and then disconnect gave several of those bastages reason to drop me off their list. Its just frustrating to have "Advanced Call Features" that don't work as described. I could really use them. As long as the voice mail stays off I'll get relief.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: