magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advisement About Service Packs in magicJack Softphone!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Reviews, Rants and Raves
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlaninKY
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Advisement About Service Packs in magicJack Softphone! Reply with quote

New message in magicJack softphone today is talking about dangers of using the latest service packs for Vista and XP. I am using XP3 on one computer with magicJack and no problems yet. The other computers I'll leave with XP SP2 until I'm sure SP3 is working great. Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
strndedinalska

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops. I wish I'd have known before I downloaded. So far, no problems, but then again, my computer hasn't had enough time to screw up yet.
trailblazer
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this "advisement" as well and looked on this forum to see if there were any postings about it. I thought it was odd that MJ would post something like that without making additional information available. I'm sure any new release of anything "may cause issues with several applications", but is it worth displaying it in the softphone's ad window? It doesn't even say if the service packs negatively affect MJ or not. (I downloaded XP's service pack 3 about a week ago and haven't experienced any noticeable issues.)
mphixson
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe they are just trying to warn you not to upgrade to the next service pack, or maybe they are trying to shift the blame to microsoft when the magicjack quits working after people apply the service pack.

it's nice to get a warning message about the beta, but lets face it, magicjack will have to take whatever steps are necessary to bring their software in line with the microsoft specs to guarantee it will still work or people who signed up for more than one year are going to get very upset when magicjack doesn't have a workaround and it breaks due to a service pack upgrade!!

anyone test the beta service pack on a new install of magicjack? sounds like a few of you have it working on an upgrade. how about a new install to a machine with the new service pack which didn't have magicjack installed previous to the service pack upgrade?
mutedmajority
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Can Not Dial out on Telephone since installing SP3 Reply with quote

Now to dial out I have to use the computer softphone. The dtmf tones do not break the dial tone. Once I push one button on the soft phone, then they work. Got on chat and guess what they told me? They told me to try a GE phone.
mutedmajority
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: SP3 ? Issue Reply with quote

I installed Service pack 3. which is when MJ stopped working correctly. It still doesn't work after removing SP3. Telephone does not dial out. (won't break the dial tone) If I push just one key on the soft phone, it will dial and the telephone keypad starts working. Now the chat advised me to buy an AC powered USB hub. I also found out that there is no warranty whatsoever after the 30 days free trial period. I have even tried it on another computer that had never had Magic jack installed on it nor sp3. But maybe SP3 messed the software on the device up? I got a lemon! Mine came to cost me 20 a month for crappy phone service. Thanks anyway I am not buying another one! I was their biggest booster. Heck anyways I can still use the softphone. As if I want to. They got my area code listed the same day it quit . Fuckers!
trailblazer
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: SP3 ? Issue Reply with quote

mutedmajority wrote:
I installed Service pack 3. which is when MJ stopped working correctly. It still doesn't work after removing SP3. Telephone does not dial out. (won't break the dial tone) If I push just one key on the soft phone, it will dial and the telephone keypad starts working. Now the chat advised me to buy an AC powered USB hub. I also found out that there is no warranty whatsoever after the 30 days free trial period. I have even tried it on another computer that had never had Magic jack installed on it nor sp3. But maybe SP3 messed the software on the device up? I got a lemon! Mine came to cost me 20 a month for crappy phone service. Thanks anyway I am not buying another one! I was their biggest booster. Heck anyways I can still use the softphone. As if I want to. They got my area code listed the same day it quit . Fuckers!

Mutedmajority, I'm curious if an AC powered USB hub might help with your issue. Maybe the chat folks just say this when they can't think of anything else to say. I have an AC powered hub on order now hoping it will help with an intermitant problem I have with my comuter not booting when I have a lot of USB devices plugged into my laptop. This is only an issue when MJ is one of them. Now that I think about it, my problem started to occur about the time I installed SP3! Idea Why not buy or borrow an AC powered hub and let us know if it helps.
mmlowe
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: SP3 ? Issue Reply with quote

mutedmajority wrote:

I have the same problem. It took 20 minutes of chat "troubleshooting" that I had already done before I was told I needed to try another phone (I don't have another phone, AND this one worked last week on this computer and a Vista computer). I just happened to bring up that I have XP SP3. She then told me that I should downgrade my system, and even provided me with the link to upgrade to SP2. I said wouldn't it make more sense to upgrade the magicjack software then to ask users to downgrade their systems. She said, "either way." WTF?!

Receiving
My phone won't ring, but I can answer it if I see the call on the computer screen by clicking accept and then turning on the cordless. If I turn on the cordless first, I hear ringing in the earpiece.

Dialing
I have a dial tone and dialing makes it stop, but no response on the screen, and no outgoing call. If I dial on the computer, then turn on the phone, I can use the phone...
GaryR55
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I knew there was a good reason for turning off Automatic Updates last year. Wink

Gary
Phottoman
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My FIRST post and look what I am doing with it. LOL.

Sort of the same problem here, as far as SP3 is concerned.

I updated my XP to SP3, and didn't realize for almost a week that that was the problem with my wifi not working properly.

I finally thought of system restore, it took about half an hour and now my wifi is working again. I don't have MJ yet, still waiting till I have a few dollars to send for my MJ, but as soon as I do, the phone company will be gone from my house. I spent some time at the local cable company office asking questions, and with their installation, and $34.95 a month (instead of the phone companies $99+ per month) I am looking to saving close to $700 a year. THAT'LL buy me a few extra toys, you betch'a.

Photto
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tekknokat
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Advisement About Service Packs in magicJack Softphone! Reply with quote

GaryR55 wrote:
Well, I knew there was a good reason for turning off Automatic Updates last year. Wink

Gary

Even Microsoft warned users that Service Pack 3 had issues, in the release notes that came with the update from day one. This is reason enough for me to always read about the Automatic Updates before installing them. This means that I set Windows to notify me of new updates, but not to download or install them automatically. Rather, I simply go to the Microsoft Windows Update Center, and follow the on-screen instructions. There are links one may click on to get detailed information about each Windows Update, which include such warnings as "Known Issues," release notes, and tutorials when applicable, among other notices which influence whether or not I will install a Windows Update. Microsoft Updates

I find the website is preferrable to using the Automatic Updates interface in Windows XP Professional SP 2. That way I also find out about other updates available to my specific configuration, such as drivers, hardware updates, software updates, and other non-critical updates that don't always appear in the Automatic Updates feature of Windows XP. About 3-4 years ago I set my Windows XP Professional SP 2 Automatic Updates, to merely notify me when updates are available, and then I would have to manually download them. This works out well for me. I am waiting to download SP 3 until I hear that people no longer have problems with it and magicJack, and the booting Windows XP issue as well.

I try to make time when possible, to read the technology magazines and sites that exist online, especially the ones about Microsoft, Windows, and Windows compatible software that are not created by Microsoft. Many warned consumers a few days to a week before the release of Service Pack 3, of at least one serious flaw which could prevent people from rebooting Windows after installation. I think certain computers containing specific BIOS were especially at risk, and a few select models of HP Pavilion were consistently known to be vulnerable to this particular issue after SP3 installation. Even though in the past I compulsively wanted to download and install software updates, critical updates, and Service Packs, something inside me gave me the strength to resist the urge to update to SP 3 this time. For now I am glad not to install SP 3, and I intend to wait until it's absolutely necessary, since the most recent Security Updates don't require SP 3 yet. For some reason my 3" Floppy drive is not working, and a safe install of SP 3 frequently required the creation of a boot disc prior to installation, which I could not create without my floppy drive being operable. I'll at least wait until Microsoft or technology sites announce that identified issues have been fixed. They may have fixed SP 3 already, I haven't checked since the weeks immediately following it's official release, I've been too preoccupied with my own life threatening healthcare. Flexbeta, Neowin, ActiveWin.com, MSFN.org, and Bink.nu are only a few which keep Microsoft consumers up to date, there are several others who write daily about Microsoft and Windows Updates, as well as other Microsoft news.

It pays for me to read before installing any Windows Update, Service Pack, Critical Update, or Security Update. Whether it be Microsoft or any other trusted software distributor, the wise practice of read and learn first before installing any software or update is the only way I keep my computer safe from security threats and even simple programming errors that can stop my system dead in it's tracks, or render the operating system or other software inaccessible and useless. Those sorts of errors can even deny you access to your irreplacable data like documents, letters, email, photos, and other work, unless you pay a computer expert to retrieve what they can directly off the hard drive, or purchase a several hundred dollar software application, which might teach you how to do so yourself, and even with some of those you might need new hardware as well I think.
StrobeWylan
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Advisement About Service Packs in magicJack Softphone! Reply with quote

Gary

Thanks for this useful info. My wife has health issues that take a lot of our time and this forum has helped save us a lot of time that (like waisting time on the MJ chat line).

If anyone has info as to the downside of the XP updates that came out since SP3 or if they can be considered 'safe' would be good to hear from them, especially those who 'Dan should hire/pay' as well as any info as to if SP3 is safe to use yet.

Thanks to all who contribute useful info on the forum.
taflocks

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: SP3 ? Issue Reply with quote

mod please remove this post or delete last word for profanity....

mutedmajority wrote:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Reviews, Rants and Raves All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: