magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

After June MJ Update I Can Longer Dial Out Using My Phone!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
macman4hire
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: After June MJ Update I Can Longer Dial Out Using My Phone! Reply with quote

After June MagicJack update I can longer dial out using my phone when connected the USB dongle. The software phone works to dial out though. My question is has anyone else experienced this behavior after the update and does anyone know of a solution to fix this problem?

Thanks,
macman4hire
tradertx
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over this last weekend my MJ was disabled by the company software upgrade, although I couldn't even dial out with the softphone, let alone make regular outbound or receive inbound calls. Fortunately, it didn't disable voicemail. So I logged into live chat on MagicJack.com

The tech asked me to do three things:

1. Make sure my system time and date were correct, and if not, update them. (They were both off, and I fixed that.)

2. Disable any security on my PC. I took care of that.

3. Download and run the MagicJack software upgrade from

http://upgrades.magicjack.com/upgrade/upgrade.exe

When that was all completed, I was back in business.

The live chat tech could not have been more helpful.

Yours,
tradertx
hsweiss
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tradertx wrote:
Over this last weekend my MJ was disabled by the company software upgrade, although I couldn't even dial out with the softphone, let alone make regular outbound or receive inbound calls. Fortunately, it didn't disable voicemail. So I logged into live chat on MagicJack.com

The tech asked me to do three things:

1. Make sure my system time and date were correct, and if not, update them. (They were both off, and I fixed that.)

2. Disable any security on my PC. I took care of that.

3. Download and run the MagicJack software upgrade from

http://upgrades.magicjack.com/upgrade/upgrade.exe

When that was all completed, I was back in business.

The live chat tech could not have been more helpful.

Yours,
tradertx

I suspect that the upgrade never fully completed and that step #3 was the magic elixir. I certainly hope that you have re-enabled "security" on your PC!!! I don't know why they continually tell people to turn off anti-virus and firewalls since I don't know of any interference with installs with modern AV software and the typical WinXP firewall doesn't block anything outbound anyway and the MJ connections are initiated from the PC. More likely would be the router firewall which is why they often recommend connecting the computer directly to a cable modem but they also don't realize that often the cable modem has a firewall as well.
tradertx
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your concern. I wasn't very worried about the security problem because I'm running a solid state thin client (HP t5710) with XPe (embedded). If malware makes any changes, when I shut down without clicking the "commit" button, all changes go away.

I did ask the tech if I was going to be "surprised" the next time that MagicJack springs an upgrade on me. The reply was that MJ does provide some kind of notice on the softphone screen. (I thought, oh---great, I run the HP headless (without a monitor) for months at a time. So I guess the next time my MJ stops working in a similar way, I'll have to drag in a monitor again and go through the same drill. However, if they keep using that same link, I should be able to follow the same procedure and DIY the upgrade without bothering their tech at live chat. Not bad for still running an ancient Generation One MJ, almost a year and a half old.

Yours,
tradertx
macman4hire
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My MagicJack started dialing out with the same connected phone this morning. I did nothing since starting this tread. I can not stand the erratic behavior of the MagicJack much longer. Updates should not cause these kinds of problems for it customers. I have no problem with using the dongle when my computer is turned but can not tolerate all the problems after these dreaded updates!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: