Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Alright, so after much consideration

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
856media
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:37 am    Post subject: Alright, so after much consideration

I've read thru all the stickies, and I am kinda lost.

I have decided that I MIGHT buy a magic jack, BUT here is my delima...

The computer it would be plugged into, I also do some gaming on, not much, CS 1.6 and even then, there is plenty of resources left over while I am playing, and I watch movies, etc etc.

I hate popups, nothing else, makes me want to punt babies more then popups/shit not working the way I want it.

SO, I want a magicjack, but I don't want the popups/spyware. What do I need to do, to remove such dog feces from my computer, or at least make it so I do not see it?
Taken83oveR
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject:

Setup Magicjack as a service. It would be completely hidden.
jkcdlm
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject:

Buy a really cheap windows xp computer to use. I use a Compaq Ipaq SFF computer. You can get them for like $30 on ebay. Use a KVM switch if you only have one monitor or just install VNC on it. I would never use Magicjack on my primary gaming computer. PIII computers are soooo cheap now and if you stick with a SFF type computer, they all come with a power supply that is less that 100 watts. You don't feel so bad about leaving it on all the time or better yet, find a nice cheap used laptop that runs windows xp and you won't need to put it on a UPS because if the power goes out, then the laptop can run on its own battery. There are lots of people trying to use thin clients, but there are so many cheaper alternatives that are full blown computers that will not have any update issues with MJ.
HendersonMike

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject:

krieg wrote:
Download MagicBlock 1.1 do a google search. Works GREAT. NO popup

Magic BlockHEAD 1.1
laserjobs
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject:

HendersonMike wrote:
krieg wrote:

Magic BlockHEAD 1.1

WTF????
Taken83oveR

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject:

It may "stay over there", but will still create problems when running a full screen game. Best solution, is to set it up as a service.
gashliquor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject:

laserjobs wrote:
HendersonMike wrote:
krieg wrote:

Magic BlockHEAD 1.1

WTF????

He's not pulling a fast one. There really is a freeware app MagicBlock 1.1, I have it and never used it but the reviews were good.

Quote:
MagicJack is a phone service. But it's user interface gets annoying fast. So I made this program to block (keep minimized) the magicJack popup window and regain control of my Desktop. magicBlock doesn't interfere with the usage of magicJack - it just stops it's popup interface (AKA 'Softphone') from disrupting whatever your doing whenever someone picks up the phone. When magicBlock is enabled, the sparse functions offered by the magicJack Softphone are still available by right-clicking over it's tray icon (the little icon by the clock). The installation program will add this program to your Startup folder so it automatically runs when you start your computer.

Version 1.1 fixed bug in tray context menu and updated Web site URL in short-cuts.

HendersonMike

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject:

laserjobs wrote:
HendersonMike wrote:
krieg wrote:

Magic BlockHEAD 1.1

WTF????

Gee! Thought I had made the point as simple as possible....... Maybe next time I'll make use of Playschool Blocks to simplify it more.
gillist419
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject:

HendersonMike wrote:
laserjobs wrote:
HendersonMike wrote:
krieg wrote:

Magic BlockHEAD 1.1

WTF????

Gee! Thought I had made the point as simple as possible....... Maybe next time I'll make use of Playschool Blocks to simplify it more.

Looks like you got 999 other programs running in the background when you made the video(if you made the video). So what does it matter if you got "one more running"?
Enbom
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject:

HendersonMike wrote:
laserjobs wrote:
HendersonMike wrote:
krieg wrote:

Magic BlockHEAD 1.1

WTF????

No, you made your point very simply. I think we get it. Here's the deal though, you're not addressing the issue that's been brought up.

Here's what happens:

You go to the store and buy a copy of "Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures" just so you can see MMO boobs for the first time ever. You patch the game for a few hours and eventually log on and start to play. Now, when you start the game, your screen goes black for a second, your taskbar disappears, your desktop is hidden, and Age of Conan begins to run full-screen. You create a female character (probably blond), move the "boob slider" all the way to the right and click "enter game." Excellent. All is well. You're slowly sinking, unconscious, near the remains of your battered slave-ship. Soon thereafter, you're rescued by the Hand of God itself and deposited on a beach where some old man tells you boring and time-consuming stuff about some old hag named Nadini. You tell him "fine, I've got better things to do right now," and press "I" to open your inventory screen and remove your top.

AND THEN A PHONE CALL COMES IN.

Immediately, your screen goes black for a moment and you're taken back to the desktop, where, instead of staring at the full-on beauty of a perfectly rendered areola, you're stuck staring at an ad that informs you that international calling is only $.02/minute. You quickly alt-tab back to your game, but it's not really that quick. Because modern games eat up so many resources, it takes a relatively long while before you're back to "inspecting" your new and curvy creation. Oh, and while you were away, you were killed by an alligator.

Even if you leave the softphone on your desktop, parked off to the right (or anywhere for that matter) this will still happen with every incoming or outgoing phone call.

Nasty situation for a hardcore gamer. If you can manage to run the MJ as a service, you avoid all of this.
HendersonMike

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject:

Enbom wrote:
No, you made your point very simply. I think we get it. Here's the deal though, you're not addressing the issue that's been brought up.

Yes I did address the issue. The issue was to add yet another running program to do what a few relatively simple adjustments would do and not have another running program.

Enbom wrote:
Here's what happens:

..... You create a female character (probably blond)

No, Redhead

Enbom wrote:
AND THEN A PHONE CALL COMES IN.

Immediately, your screen goes black for a moment and you're taken back to the desktop, where, instead of staring at the full-on beauty of a perfectly rendered areola, you're stuck staring at an ad that informs you that international calling is only $.02/minute. If you can manage to run the MJ as a service, you avoid all of this.

Exactamundo
HendersonMike

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject:

gillist419 wrote:

Looks like you got 999 other programs running in the background when you made the video(if you made the video). So what does it matter if you got "one more running"?

Yeah, I may not have 999 (I realize most people exaggerate) but I do have a lot of programs running which I can do because I keep my machines in tip top shape. Also have the 2nd. machine running downloading ...... uh ....... stuff. And everything runs along smoooooooooooooooooooooooothly.
Yes, I did make the vid. If you had seen any of my other ones posted here, you would recognize the voice.
what does it matter if you got "one more running"? = A whole lot if your machine is not up to it.
Enbom
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject:

By the way, before I forget, MagicBlock doesn't prevent the MJ from stealing focus during gaming. Even when it's actively blocking the popup, you'll still be dropped to desktop when you receive or make a phone call.

The easiest solution I've found (since running MJ as a service isn't working for me anymore) is to just install the MJ on a separate user account. No problems at all, then.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: