Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Alternative method for blocking proxies: Static Routing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tony
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:27 am    Post subject: Alternative method for blocking proxies: Static Routing

Hi,
Thanks to all who posted about identifying and blocking proxies. Here's an alternative approach that entirely uses the interface to a router. It seems to be working for me and I post the method here for peer review.

Assumptions. I have off the shelf Linksys routers (WRT54G and WRT150N) without modification other than factory firmware upgrades. I'm using two features of the router setup: a) Administration Log and b) Static Routing. Others using Tomato firmware describe similar settings.

I assume here you know how to access the configuration menu for your router. If you need detailed instructions, see the note at the bottom of this post.

Step 1 (optional). Determine the IP address of your PC
- If you have 1 or a small number of PCs on your network, you can skip this step and infer your IP address in step 2.
a) Click Start > Run, type the word command and press enter.
b) Type ipconfig /all and press enter
c) In the details, you should see your IP address. On a Linksys router, it looks like 192.168.1.xxx

Step 2a. Identify which proxy servers your MJ is using.
a) Access your router configuration screen (see note below for steps)
b) (On a Linksys) Go to Administration > Log > Enable > View Log

Step 2b. Make a call on your MJ. This creates a log entry.
c) Click Refresh to refresh the log
d) You should see a new entry in the log with the IP address of the PC that your MJ is connected to plus the IP address of the proxy server.

Check this list for possible proxy servers here
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/MagicJack/Support_Resources/How-To/Proxy_Find2#Identify_all_available_proxies

Step 3. Make an entry in the Static Routing to block a proxy server
a) In the router configuration, click Setup > Advanced Routing.
b) Make an entry in the Static Routing

Assume I want to block access to the New York proxy 216.234.64.8 and on my local network, there is no device at 192.168.1.253

Make the static routing entries like this [edited from the more colloquial term "thusly"]

Route Entries: 1
Enter Route Name: any arbitrary name
Destination LAN IP: 216.234.64.8
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.255
Gateway: 192.168.1.253
Interface: LAN & Wireless

Save settings.

Repeat step 3 and make a static routing entry for every proxy server you want to avoid.

Step 4. When done with the static routing, reboot the PC where you have your MJ dongle. This may take several reboots for MJ to finally ignore the blocked proxy and find another one.

This approach may seem involved but once you know the IP address of your PC, you can do it all in 2 areas of your router configuration interface (steps 2 and 3). Also it'll affect all MJ calls coming from any PC on your network. Finally, no additional software required such as pmdump or wireshark. Comments and critiques appreciated

Note.
To access your router setup (this is the procedure for Linksys routers and is the same for various other routers I've owned including Microsoft MN500 and NetGear). Open a web browser. For Linksys enter 192.168.1.1 into the address bar. Leave the user name blank, for password enter "admin". Other brands of routers have their own IP address and default password. This assumes the router has the default settings.

-Tony

Last edited by tony on Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
seabrawk
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Thusly

thus·ly (sl)
adv. Usage Problem
Thus.
Usage Note: Thusly was introduced in the 19th century as an alternative to thus in sentences such as Hold it thus or He put it thus. It appears to have first been used by humorists, who may have been echoing the speech of poorly educated people straining to sound stylish. The word has subsequently gained some currency in educated usage, but it is still often regarded as incorrect. A large majority of the Usage Panel found it unacceptable in an earlier survey. In formal writing thus can still be used as in the examples above; in other styles this way, like this, and other such expressions are more natural.
tony
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Thusly

seabrawk wrote:
like this, and other such expressions are more natural.

Agreed.

More importantly, what did you think of the method of using static routing? Am I missing something?

What about using static routing to direct MJ to connect to specific server? For instance, if I normally connect to New York can I redirect another server?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: