magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Am I able to create a Toll-Free number with Magic Jack?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Features coming to Magic Jack
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peggys
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Am I able to create a Toll-Free number with Magic Jack? Reply with quote

I'm starting a new business and want to give people a toll-free number and wondering if Magic Jack offers that option.

If so, do I purchase the product first and then create my phone number... OR does a number come with the Magic Jack? The reason I ask is because when I attempt to purchase it online it doesn't answer any of these questions.

Thanks for any tips... Confused
murphy
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No toll free numbers from MJ.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No toll free number option.
After you purchase your MJ and during the registration process you get to choose your area code, local exchange and phone #.

Joe Sica
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
laserjobs
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

take a look at Kall8
http://www.kall8.com/index.php
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off topic, however... you might find this interesting. Most people know that one of the benefits of having an 800# is ANI or Automatic Number Identification. Even blocking your number doesn't prevent it from happening, which is one of the reasons it is so prevalent for marketing. Also, once someone calls an 800#, there is implied consent to be contacted, even if registered with the Do Not Call list.

However, most folks have caught on to this and so it's lost a lot of it's usefulness, IMO. Also, callers who are aware and don't want to be contacted can call from a fax number or pay phone to avoid the sales pitch.

Here's where it gets interesting. I tested forwarding my MJ to an 800#, i.e., I called my MJ # from my cell phone, and the cell phone number showed up as the ANI.

So, you can give out a MJ number, in place of the 800#, lower the guard of an unsuspecting caller and still capture their ANI by having it forwarded. Or, maybe I'm the only one that thinks of this stuff...
J. S. Bach
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitstopjoe wrote:
No toll free number option.
After you purchase your MJ and during the registration process you get to choose your area code, local exchange and phone #.

Joe Sica

I only got to select the area code and exchange when I signed up.
tony
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Am I able to create a Toll-Free number with Magic Jack? Reply with quote

peggys wrote:
I'm starting a new business and want to give people a toll-free number and wondering if Magic Jack offers that option.

If so, do I purchase the product first and then create my phone number... OR does a number come with the Magic Jack? The reason I ask is because when I attempt to purchase it online it doesn't answer any of these questions.

Thanks for any tips... Confused

For a 1-800 number, give www.selectcom.com a call. I'm on an affinity program, at 4.9 cents CDN for a 1-800 number (you figure out the exchange rate for cost in USD). Nice thing about a 1-800 number is the 1-800 persists and you can change where that number terminates, whether on your MJ, on a cell, or later to a number on another VOIP service. Your clients won't know the difference, but you get to move your working line to whatever is cheapest.

If you are serious about your business, I wouldn't rely on MJ though. You risk your reputation on variable call quality. Consider a subscription voip service, there are discussions on the services with recommendations. I've found voip.ms pretty good at 1/2 cents per minute long distance.

Update. I just visited your website. With one sale, you'd cover a month's cost with a voip service and a 1-800 number.
Nodalaw
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkman90808 wrote:
...once someone calls an 800#, there is implied consent to be contacted, even if registered with the Do Not Call list. ...

The consent is implied by any inquiry to the seller, not just by telephone or to an 800 number. However it lasts only for up to 18 months from the last inquiry and can be easily withdrawn promptly just by asking to be placed on the seller's do not call list. See 47 CFR 64.1200 (f)(4)(i).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Features coming to Magic Jack All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: