Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Amazing thing

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> magicJack Reviews, Rants and Raves
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
timbuk2
magicJack Apprentice


Joined: 06 Mar 2009
Posts: 10
Location: Oklahoma City

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Amazing thing

Plugged it into my laptop and was talking long distance within the minute. Can't get it to work on my home PC, crashes it. I've eliminated almost every troubleshooting suggestion except installing a new USB 2.0 Controller. That is next. The only other problem I have is voice mail is full with 5 messages, so I had to set my home voice mail machine to 2 rings to intercept. Also cannot get voice mail to email to the correct email address, even after deleting the one it sends it to.
Great toy for the the money though.
Tim
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
hsweiss
Dan Should Pay Me


Joined: 28 Mar 2008
Posts: 563
Location: Maryland

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject:

MJ does NOT require USB 2.0 - it runs fine on USB 1.1. This is not to say you don't have a problem with your USB controller - only that if you think it might be a problem because its not USB 2.0, that ain't it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gregg
MagicJack User


Joined: 15 Nov 2007
Posts: 32
Location: New Mexico

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Amazing thing

timbuk2 wrote:
Can't get it to work on my home PC, crashes it.

If your machine is Blue Screening, try enabling a Mini dump. You can do this on XP by:
1) Right click on "my computer"
2) Click the Advanced Tab
3) Click Settings under Startup and Recovery
4) Under "Write debugging information", choose "Small memory dump (64KB)"
5) Set Small dump directory to something like
Code:
C:\
or
Code:
%SystemRoot%\Minidump


Now try again. You'll still crash, but this time you will have a minidump file in that directory. If you know how to debug crash dumps, debug the .dmp file. Otherwise, email it to me, and I can debug it for you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
timbuk2
magicJack Apprentice


Joined: 06 Mar 2009
Posts: 10
Location: Oklahoma City

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject:

hsweiss wrote:
MJ does NOT require USB 2.0 - it runs fine on USB 1.1. This is not to say you don't have a problem with your USB controller - only that if you think it might be a problem because its not USB 2.0, that ain't it.


I've just tried about everything else I can find on the internet related except for replacing or adding to my USB controller. It's just odd that everything else works fine with all my USB inputs.

Anyway, it's either that or buy a new computer, I've already spent days and nights on this and now that I've canceled my home phone, I need it for my home computer as I take my lap top away on work and need the phone at home. Seems like MJ may not like Dell... Wink

Thanks
Tim
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
hsweiss
Dan Should Pay Me


Joined: 28 Mar 2008
Posts: 563
Location: Maryland

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject:

timbuk2 wrote:


Anyway, it's either that or buy a new computer, I've already spent days and nights on this and now that I've canceled my home phone, I need it for my home computer as I take my lap top away on work and need the phone at home. Seems like MJ may not like Dell... Wink

Thanks
Tim


I hope you're really kidding about that since many of us (including me) have no trouble with MJ on Dell hardware.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
timbuk2
magicJack Apprentice


Joined: 06 Mar 2009
Posts: 10
Location: Oklahoma City

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Amazing thing

Thanks, I'll give this a try when I get a chance. I usually am able to resolve all my issues, I just have less time and patience than I used to. I'll probably have to post back with the info after the weekend when I get back from the races.
Tim


Gregg wrote:
If your machine is Blue Screening, try enabling a Mini dump. You can do this on XP by:
1) Right click on "my computer"
2) Click the Advanced Tab
3) Click Settings under Startup and Recovery
4) Under "Write debugging information", choose "Small memory dump (64KB)"
5) Set Small dump directory to something like
Code:
C:\
or
Code:
%SystemRoot%\Minidump


Now try again. You'll still crash, but this time you will have a minidump file in that directory. If you know how to debug crash dumps, debug the .dmp file. Otherwise, email it to me, and I can debug it for you.
Rolling Eyes Shocked Shocked
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> magicJack Reviews, Rants and Raves All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Powered by phpBB Ultra Turbo Extended Edition Live © 2001-9999, phpBB Group
magicJack and magicJack Plus are trademarks of magicJack LLP. This website is in no way affiliated, endorsed, or sponsored by magicJack LLP, and is an unofficial forum for consumers to openly communicate regarding their experiences with the magicJack products.