Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
An experiment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gators5
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: An experiment

Last week in an effort to attempt to isolate my problems with MJ I unplugged it from my computer and forwarded my MJ calls to a traditional landline. All my incoming calls were now coming from MJ servers to my landline. The inconsistent service--choppy audio, echoes and dropped calls--continued. Therefore I concluded it wasn’t my stuff—computer, DSL service or MJ hardware—rather it is either the unwillingness or inability of MJ corporate to provide consistent, useable service.
Rickiev
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: An experiment

gators5 wrote:
Last week in an effort to attempt to isolate my problems with MJ I unplugged it from my computer and forwarded my MJ calls to a traditional landline. All my incoming calls were now coming from MJ servers to my landline. The inconsistent service--choppy audio, echoes and dropped calls--continued. Therefore I concluded it wasn’t my stuff—computer, DSL service or MJ hardware—rather it is either the unwillingness or inability of MJ corporate to provide consistent, useable service.

I've tried that a few times, to see if it was a computer problem on my end or on MJ's end, and it worked fine. Something, Broadband does became slow and audio does get choppy. Its the internet...

3 Month with MJ and still running if with limited downtime if any.
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject:

gators5, are you located "near" your chosen telephone number or "far away" from it? Also, is your landline near or far away from your MJ phone number. If you are far away, it looks like MJ uses the public internet to transport incoming calls from the DID gateway to the proxy server your MJ is homed to. If you are near, then this theory falls apart. Just a thought.
Melman
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject:

My MJ phone number is located near my home or lets just say in the same area code. I have just bought me a new notebook computer with Vista. My 1 year old computer has XP and I have been using MJ on this computer since May of 2008. I have installed my MJ now on my Vista and have noticed some choppy and crackling sounds as others have said in these forums. Also just to make sure it was not my server or MJ itself I plugged my MJ back in my XP computer and it tested with smooth and clear voice quality. I remember when I first got my MJ and on my XP, I made sure to tweak and keep my computer running clean and not running a lot of resources in the background, and this made my MJ better. The last few days I have disabled a lot of eye candy and useless programs in Vista that is hogging the system. Guess What? Now my MJ is working great with good voice quality like it was in my XP. I have noticed that Vista is too bloated and also many computers come with advertised software junk. I got my last 2 computers from CyberPower and they build it without all the bloat and junk. I am sure other then tweaking your computer that some of you have other issues like server connection or the MJ server.
Melman
gators5
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject:

mberlent, my mj phone number and location are where I live as is my landline, plus I live where MJ has its headquarters. You would think if any place where service would be spectacular would be here, but it isn't. This probably means none of the MJ corp people use MJ.
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject:

MJ folks probably subscribe to InPhoneX, whose HQ is just down in Miami, but whose operations are mostly (last I checked) in the West Palm Beach area.
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject:

gators5 wrote:
mberlent, my mj phone number and location are where I live as is my landline, plus I live where MJ has its headquarters. You would think if any place where service would be spectacular would be here, but it isn't. This probably means none of the MJ corp people use MJ.

Gator,

It most likely doesn't matter where MJ is. They are nothing more than a mailing house for MJ units.

The real player here is YMAX. The are the folks that have all the Technical Equipment, phone equipment, and dare I say it Technical Expertise.

PS - YMAX is supposed to be a very large Telco, albeit I have never heard of them before joining the self flagellating community of MagicJack users.

[Edit] One other thing, I live in Saint George UT, the absolute middle of no where. Don't get me wrong I love the place and it is just big enough to have Radio Shacks, Best Buy, Staples and Office Max, all a Geek really needs. But the point I wanted to make was you are surprised that MJ has nothing in their own home town as I am they even know what a St. George is.

Let me tell you about my surprise that here I can get an MJ area code and local prefix any day of the week - "Go-Figure". This is also the same place that "Grand Central" and OOMA have never heard of. On OOMA I had to go all the way to Salt Lake city to get a UT Area Code and a Salt Lake Prefix (actually the prefix is some podunk town someplace close to Salt Lake). Ugh!
cdwaldron

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject:

"before joining the self flagellating community of MagicJack users".

George, you come up with the best descriptives. Is it the desert air?

Sorry for the off-topic
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject:

cdwaldron wrote:
"before joining the self flagellating community of MagicJack users".

George, you come up with the best descriptives. Is it the desert air?

Sorry for the off-topic

Yup !!! The desert air turns your brain into a prune. And at my age all ya have left is cynicism anyway, at least of the stuff that still works. Wink
cdwaldron

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject:

And at my age, you need all the prunes you can get. ALthough it would appear that a cephalo-caudal inversion would be needed, Oh My.
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject:

cdwaldron wrote:
And at my age, you need all the prunes you can get. ALthough it would appear that a cephalo-caudal inversion would be needed, Oh My.

Had to look that one up. Embarassed

But in reply, no, Utah only allows pitted purnes "no stones". Laughing

PS - It is a damn good thing the "Amin" is an easy going guy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: