Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Another Choppy Audio

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
slickxman
MagicJack Newbie


Joined: 11 Jan 2009
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Another Choppy Audio

Can someone please help My audio is choppy on every call I'm trying to do everything I can without having to buy a new router and doing the Tomato thing to it because I'm tight on money.
Heres my info

I'm running 2 computers wired( not wireless) to a Belkin Wireless G router 2.4ghz-802.11g My magic jack is running on the computer with this
Dell Dimension 4700 Intel(R)pentium 4cpu 3.20GHZ
3.19GHZ, 512 MB of ram and running on xp hom edition sp 3

I've talked to customer service for hours with no prevail and tried the following things.
Making mj priority
Disabling unused usb outlets for powersave
Hooked up to a power usb port
bought 3 diffrent phones
went through various delting stuff and restarting mj through mj customercare.

I've read through this forums and here is my test results to voip tests


http://testyourvoip.com/details.html?id=0D57GE
http://chicago.ms.streamguys.com/myspeed/db/report?id=10435

both were done with mj unplugged.
I attempted to change mj proxy but after i downloaded th pmdump and I followed the procedures in the wiki article and in the dos command it says pmdump isn't executable. Maybe I'm doing something wrong with that but I've tried a couple of times.

Anyways can somebody please help?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
az2008
MagicJack Sensei


Joined: 20 Aug 2008
Posts: 1404
Location: Tempe, AZ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Choppy Audio

slickxman wrote:
I attempted to change mj proxy but after i downloaded th pmdump and I followed the procedures in the wiki article and in the dos command it says pmdump isn't executable. Maybe I'm doing something wrong with that but I've tried a couple of times.


Your VOIP test looked ok. One big pause, but the rest of the time it looked good.

I would try a different proxy. I don't know why you had trouble with pmdump. You'd have to download it again, until you get an executable.

I'd also try using just the softphone with a headset (if the proxy change doesn't do anything). Just to identify whether it's something specific to your usb, usb device and phone.

Mark
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
slickxman
MagicJack Newbie


Joined: 11 Jan 2009
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject:

I can't get it to work I'm downloading from here
http://www.ntsecurity.nu/toolbox/pmdump/
abd I click to download it and i click run and and the windows protection pops up and say are you sure you want to download and i click run and then both windows go a way leaving just the webpage! I disabled virus and windows firewall to try and still couldn't. What about this program and how to do it if so http://www.fiddler2.com/fiddler2/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
az2008
MagicJack Sensei


Joined: 20 Aug 2008
Posts: 1404
Location: Tempe, AZ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject:

slickxman wrote:
I can't get it to work I'm downloading from here
http://www.ntsecurity.nu/toolbox/pmdump/
abd I click to download it and i click run and and the windows protection pops up and say are you sure you want to download and i click run and then both windows go a way leaving just the webpage!


You need to run it from a DOS command window. From the command line. I'll change the wiki how-to to be clearer about this.

Mark
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
slickxman
MagicJack Newbie


Joined: 11 Jan 2009
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:40 pm    Post subject:

I did run it through dos command under programs and accesories and it says its not recognizable as internal or external command. well i searched in the windows search command just to see if i could find it and it showed

pmdump{1}exe-24077B5.pf c:windows prefetch 4kb pf file
but I've tried downloading 5 times now and tried to run it and can't get it to
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
az2008
MagicJack Sensei


Joined: 20 Aug 2008
Posts: 1404
Location: Tempe, AZ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:54 pm    Post subject:

slickxman wrote:
I did run it through dos command


Sorry. I based my comment upon you saying "and i click run." That didn't sound like a command-line execution.

Pmdump should work for you. You may need to spend some time figuring it out. Make sure you know where you're saving it. How to execute it from the command line. Etc.

Mark
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
slickxman
MagicJack Newbie


Joined: 11 Jan 2009
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:10 am    Post subject:

Hey thanks for the help I got i changed the proxy and it sounds alot better but it still cracks up about evry 15 seconds but not near as bad as it was. I have one question that I noticed and wonder if it could be something related? When I went to get my gateway adress to change my settings on my router when i pulled up ipconfig in the command window i get this

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration


Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Belkin
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.3
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : ?
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Tunnel adapter Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Belkin
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : ?
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>

What are both of the tunnel adaptor pseudofaces?
Could that be slowing my connection and if so how do I delete it?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
az2008
MagicJack Sensei


Joined: 20 Aug 2008
Posts: 1404
Location: Tempe, AZ

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject:

slickxman wrote:
What are both of the tunnel adaptor pseudofaces?
Could that be slowing my connection and if so how do I delete it?


I don't think it would slow it down. They don't seem to be active (don't have any addresses associated with them).

I don't know where you would place yourself on a scale of computer knowledge, but I think most people who don't consider themselves very knowledgeable would be well served to reinstall Windows, and start with a fresh environment. I know a lot of people who click on every "you have a postcard" link. They install every browser "toolbar." They end up with lots of adware/spyware stuff running on their computer, and they don't understand why MJ has choppy voice.

That's why I put in the choppy/garbled voice FAQ something about examining how much network activity occurs when a person believes they've stopped everything that uses the network.

I think the same holds true for not recognizing other things (network adapters, processes in the Task Manager process list). That might be a sign that someone should consider starting fresh (reinstall Windows). However, I don't know what most things are in my Task Manager process list. But, it's possible to google for those things and find out whether they're legitimate.

In your case, you can google for "Teredo Tunneling."

Mark
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me


Joined: 13 Feb 2008
Posts: 851

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject:

slickxman wrote:
Hey thanks for the help I got i changed the proxy and it sounds alot better but it still cracks up about evry 15 seconds but not near as bad as it was. I have one question that I noticed and wonder if it could be something related? When I went to get my gateway adress to change my settings on my router when i pulled up ipconfig in the command window i get this

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration


Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Belkin
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.3
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : ?
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Tunnel adapter Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Belkin
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : ?
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>

What are both of the tunnel adaptor pseudofaces?
Could that be slowing my connection and if so how do I delete it?


I believe those would be associated with a VPN and you don't appear to be using a VPN so they should do no harm.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me


Joined: 13 Feb 2008
Posts: 851

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject:

slickxman wrote:
I did run it through dos command under programs and accesories and it says its not recognizable as internal or external command. well i searched in the windows search command just to see if i could find it and it showed

pmdump{1}exe-24077B5.pf c:windows prefetch 4kb pf file
but I've tried downloading 5 times now and tried to run it and can't get it to


Make sure you either place pmdump somewhere in your default path or navigate to the directory it is stored in before executing the command.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
slickxman
MagicJack Newbie


Joined: 11 Jan 2009
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject:

Hey thanks for the info and help, I haven't been to sleep yet doing trial and error on things and I finally found out what was making the choppy audio THANKGOD Well I Have DELL dim(4700) and to my luck this brand computer was known to come out of the factory with the processor fan put in blowing the wrong direction. Which causes the computer to run hot . I opened the computer and turned the fan blowing the right way and after an hour or so my mj has been running perfect. What that had to do with the magicjack i have no clue but i don't care just it now sounds as good as a landline. Thanks for the help in this forum because I imagine that wasn't the only cause because it sounded better after changing my proxy. But for the people who has a dell4700 heres a link to see if yours is backwards and how to fix it! Thanks again everybody

info about it

http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/0/192/RipOff0192105.htm

how to fix

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2045851&referrerid=93883
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
az2008
MagicJack Sensei


Joined: 20 Aug 2008
Posts: 1404
Location: Tempe, AZ

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject:

slickxman wrote:
Well I Have DELL dim(4700) and to my luck this brand computer was known to come out of the factory with the processor fan put in blowing the wrong direction. Which causes the computer to run hot .


If I were you, I would pursue the action suggested by the "ripoffreport" and try to get a free replacement. IMO, if the CPU was running so hot that it would cause "choppy voice" with MagicJack, it probably took years off the expected lifespan of your computer.

I don't believe something can run that hot for very long without it failing. I suspect you're just lucky that MJ performing poorly caused you to discover this manufacturing defect.

A guy I work with has had two laptop fans go out. In both cases, the motherboard/cpu circuitry failed within a short period of time (3-6 months).

I'd pursue it with Dell, not telling them you fixed the problem, but demand a replacement due to the damage it caused.

Mark
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me


Joined: 13 Feb 2008
Posts: 851

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: Processor Slow Down on Over Heat

slickxman wrote:
Hey thanks for the info and help, I haven't been to sleep yet doing trial and error on things and I finally found out what was making the choppy audio THANKGOD Well I Have DELL dim(4700) and to my luck this brand computer was known to come out of the factory with the processor fan put in blowing the wrong direction. Which causes the computer to run hot . I opened the computer and turned the fan blowing the right way and after an hour or so my mj has been running perfect. What that had to do with the magicjack i have no clue but i don't care just it now sounds as good as a landline. Thanks for the help in this forum because I imagine that wasn't the only cause because it sounded better after changing my proxy. But for the people who has a dell4700 heres a link to see if yours is backwards and how to fix it! Thanks again everybody

info about it

http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/0/192/RipOff0192105.htm

how to fix

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2045851&referrerid=93883


I suspect the processor went into slow down mode to try and protect itself from the over heat condition. It is lucky you found this! I bet it helps your performance in other areas as well!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Powered by phpBB Ultra Turbo Extended Edition Live © 2001-9999, phpBB Group
magicJack and magicJack Plus are trademarks of magicJack LLP. This website is in no way affiliated, endorsed, or sponsored by magicJack LLP, and is an unofficial forum for consumers to openly communicate regarding their experiences with the magicJack products.