magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another option for Starting as a Service - Task Scheduler.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gleytch
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Another option for Starting as a Service - Task Scheduler. Reply with quote

I'm brand new here, so forgive me if I am going down a beaten path, but I've seen a number of posts here about running MagicJack as a Service, but none about running it as a Scheduled Task.

I don't remember how far back in Windows the capability has existed (as far as I know it has been there for a while) but you can use the Task Scheduler to start just about anything as a Service.

On Vista and Server 2008, you go to Task Scheduler, click on Task Scheduler Library and click on Create Task...

Give it a name and select the option to "Run whether user is logged on or not" on the General Tab. Select the user it should run as. I'm using the one it was installed under - the user needs to have access to the location where it was installed.

For Triggers, click New and Begin the Task "At Startup".

Under Actions, select New and Action "Start a Program", then select browse for the correct file at "C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\mjusbsp\magicJackLoader.exe

Start In: C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\mjusbsp

Set Conditions if you like.

On the Settings tab, check:

Allow task to be run on demand
Run task as soon as possible after a scheduled start is missed.
If the task fails, restart ever (I use 5 minutes)
Attempt to restart up to (I use 10 - if it fails that many times it's never going to work)

UNCHECK
Stop the task if it runs longer than
If the the task does not end when requested force it to stop.

If the task is already running then the following rule applies:
"Stop the existing instance" (that will let you restart it from the task scheduler).

Again, sorry if this has been mentioned before, or if it is a proven failure then let me know. I've used this method to start programs under the services session for a long time and it seems to work fine for me.

Greg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: