magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another option to a thin client

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrentOwen
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: Another option to a thin client Reply with quote

I liked the idea of using a thin client for my Magicjack because it is a good idea, but I didn't want to spend any more money. Not a hundred dollars on something that may be beyond me to set up correctly. There are a lot of thin clients out there and I don't want to buy one that doesn't work.

Anyway, I found an old computer that uses about 27 watts when only running Magicjack, which is pretty good, even when compared to a thin client. This computer will cost me only $18/year if left on 24 hours a day. I can live with that. I don't even keep a monitor, keyboard or mouse attached. I have absolutely no problems with sound quality and nobody can tell I am not on a land line. The unimpressive computer specs are a follows:

Windows XP service pack 2
Celeron 1.8 Ghz
256 Mb of Ram.

The point that I am trying to make is that you don't need a really powerful computer to make Magicjack work well. You can probably find a computer like mine for free or at most $20.

Anybody else running their magicjack using a slower computer than this one?
Diggs
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I moved my MJ to an 800 MHz thin client I had it on a 1000 Mhz 1st generation Athlon. Worked great where as my thin client struggles a bit at 800 MHz. It could be because the Transmeta Crusoe processor does not process X86 instruction set naturally.
V-Man
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup Diggs, you are correct about the Crusoe being wimpy. The same processor is used in the t5700 1GHz. My experience with that one is that the processor goes into 100% usage anytime a call is made or received. Asking that processor to do anything other than the magicJack would introduce stuttering in the audio. Forget about installing the MagicFeatures in a t5700. IMHO, it's unusable.

HP moved up the the T8600 Transmeta Efficion in the 1.2GHz t5710 and there's a HUGE difference in performance between those two processors (in my limited experience). I'm able to install both mj AND MagicFeatures into that machine while maintaining a processor usage of below 100%. It seems to max out at about 75%.

K' so to the original question posed by Brent, my first mj setup was using an old Abit BE6 mb with an Intel 1GHz slot one. It worked great but I couldn't get the power consumption down below about 60 watts. With that, I got interested in the HP thin clients and found success with the t5710. If your current machine only uses 27 watts, I'd stick with that setup. You're around the same power draw as the t5720 and probably have a little better responsivity using the 1.8 intel celeron as opposed to the 1GHz AMD in the t5720.
Diggs

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Another option to a thin client Reply with quote

BrentOwen wrote:
Anyway, I found an old computer that uses about 27 watts when only running Magicjack,

I don't mean to argue, but you should check that number closely. The most efficient Celeron made uses 12 watts. A 1.8 Northwood Celeron uses 59 watts. Hard drives idle at about 5 watts and switching power supplies are only 60-70% efficient. Add a few fans and a motherboard and I can't see how you get to 27 watts. Just say'n.
gashliquor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Another option to a thin client Reply with quote

BrentOwen wrote:
I liked the idea of using a thin client for my Magicjack because it is a good idea, but I didn't want to spend any more money. Not a hundred dollars on something that may be beyond me to set up correctly. There are a lot of thin clients out there and I don't want to buy one that doesn't work.

Anyway, I found an old computer that uses about 27 watts when only running Magicjack, which is pretty good, even when compared to a thin client. This computer will cost me only $18/year if left on 24 hours a day. I can live with that. I don't even keep a monitor, keyboard or mouse attached. I have absolutely no problems with sound quality and nobody can tell I am not on a land line. The unimpressive computer specs are a follows:

Windows XP service pack 2
Celeron 1.8 Ghz
256 Mb of Ram.

The point that I am trying to make is that you don't need a really powerful computer to make Magicjack work well. You can probably find a computer like mine for free or at most $20.

Anybody else running their magicjack using a slower computer than this one?

Alot of ppl know u can run MJ on a 486 need be, Its has not been a secret
BrentOwen
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using a kill-A-Watt type meter to monitor the power consumption of the computer I am using for Magicjack. The power consumption does go up when the phone is in use to about 35 watts. Last night while downloading some windows updates it was running at 65 watts. 99% of the time, the meter indicates only 27 watts. I have no reason not to trust the meter because I have tested it on other equipment and the results make sense.
telltom
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with using an old computer. I used a Pentium 3 for a long time, before i gave it to my mom for her magic jack and it works fine. I checked this computer and at idle it uses about 55 watts. My thin client with a mini hd uses 22 watts. So yes, you'll use a bit more energy, but it will probably work fine. Try a fresh install of windows and get rid of useless services. In other words make Windows as lean as possible. Do a check to see if it will restart automatically if a power failure. After set up you don't even need the mouse, keyboard and monitor. Set up a program on another computer such as Teamviewer and you can check on your Magic jack at any time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: