Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Antivirus program makes voice choppy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vnecaxa
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Antivirus program makes voice choppy

My laptop used to have AVAST installed and never had any problems with MJ. My brother removed avast from my computer and installed Norton AV because he said it was a better program. Since then I'm experiencing all kind of problems with MJ - choppy voices, dropped calls, etc. Can Norton cause all these problems and should I go back to avast? thanks
Nobody beats the Whiz!
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Antivirus program makes voice choppy

vnecaxa wrote:
My laptop used to have AVAST installed and never had any problems with MJ. My brother removed avast from my computer and installed Norton AV because he said it was a better program. Since then I'm experiencing all kind of problems with MJ - choppy voices, dropped calls, etc. Can Norton cause all these problems and should I go back to avast? thanks

I would probably ditch Norton and install MSSE (for free). It gives my MJ no problems.
Robert121571
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Antivirus program makes voice choppy

vnecaxa wrote:

LOL Norton better wonder what he is smoking Surprised Norton is bloat ware. I've seen too much stuff make it past Norton as well and slows down the computer. As some one else said remove it go back to Avast if your happy with it or try the MSSE if you want to try it. I haven't used MSSE so can't comment on it but have never had a problem with Avast and nothing has ever gotten threw it.
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Can Norton cause all these problems and should I go back to avast?

McAffee and others cause the same problem. Basically, any time you do things on your laptop which need processor capacity or bandwith, you may experience problems.
Remedy is simple, you run your virus scan at times you do not make phone calls.
hsweiss
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject:

I run magicjack w/Norton (on home machine) and w/McAfee (on my business laptop) - no problems with either. And the home machine is an old 1.1GHz Celeron w/512M ram - quite CPU challenged. No problems. What I did though was increase MJ's process priority using Prio and also adjusted which proxies it uses (to eliminate bad echo I was having).
Presto
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: utorrent seemed to be causing a problem

I have been using MJ for about a year with very few problems. I had installed utorrent a few weeks ago and ever since then I have had very choppy (people cannot understand my words) at the other end of the call. I did some testing by bypassing my router. No diff. Just for giggles I unistalled the utorrent program and bingo, it seems to have solved my problem. Laughing
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject:

I have uTorrent as well with my MJ and I ONLY have problems if and when I am transfering files. If I set my upload limit to 10kbs the person I am speaking to hears no difference ( no choppy sound) anything higher and I do break up. I hear break up if I am d/l full bandwith.. BUT just having it installed and not running I have zero problems.

Joe Sica
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
yechi7
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:01 am    Post subject:

uTorrent is one of the most well known bandwidth hogs around. I find it impossible to use while talking on the phone with magicjack.

Also, the default on uTorrent starts it automatically when your computer is rebooted. I had to go to uTorrent Options & turn off that it starts automatically on Startup.

I'll run Utorrent at night when we're all sleeping & I have to remember to exit it in the morning if I want my magicjack phone to work properly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: