Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Any Linux support yet?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagicJacked
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Any Linux support yet?

When I bought my MJ 2 years ago the web site said "mac and Linux support soon", or something like that. I think "soon" has now passed! I only see comments where people have used XP under Linux in a virtual session. That sucks!

Thanks.
doohickey
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:08 am    Post subject:

Regardless of what they may claim, my guess is they will never support Linux, at least not while the service is officially limited to only North America. I have a hard time seeing how their tech support could handle the myriad variables and what incentive would make them want to try.
hsweiss
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject:

And tech support would always tell me that all of my problems would be fixed within 24-48 hours. Yeah, right.

As for Linux - it would appear that they don't have enough resources to fix the Windows problems so why take on more? There are also constant rumors about an ATA-based MJ which would solve everyone's problems - no more Windows issues and no Linux development required. Plus they have competition like the TK6000 (https://www.tk6000.com/).
doohickey
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject:

The magicJack faq, which shortly ago claimed support for Linux is coming soon, has been updated for clarity.

Code:
http://service.liveperson.net/hc/s-61732089/cmd/kbresource/kb-4946294381613275455/view_question!PAGETYPE?sq=linux&sf=101113&sg=0&st=206079&documentid=345414&action=view

(I can't make the above link embed properly, so here's a tiny url.)
MagicJacked
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject:

doohickey wrote:
The magicJack faq, which shortly ago claimed support for Linux is coming soon, has been updated for clarity.

lol that's funny, but sad.
dcham1
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Any Linux support yet?

From what I understand (and depending on your version of linux that you have) some people have had success with a program called Twinkle 1.4.2 and Xlite.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
robatino
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:59 am    Post subject:

doohickey wrote:

Code:
http://service.liveperson.net/hc/s-61732089/cmd/kbresource/kb-4946294381613275455/view_question!PAGETYPE?sq=linux&sf=101113&sg=0&st=206079&documentid=345414&action=view

(I can't make the above link embed properly, so here's a tiny url.)

Was that related to Dan's claim earlier this year that there would be Linux support by the third quarter of 2009 (end of September)?
doohickey
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject:

The magicJack FAQ was changed after any soft promises of Linux support. Also, this same FAQ page, before being updated, previously stated support in late 2009.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: