magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any one get MJ to run on windows 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xvtommylx
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Any one get MJ to run on windows 7 Reply with quote

I have a preval copy from the pdc show and Mj will not install I tryed to run it in compatiabilty mode and nothing any idea's ?
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Any one get MJ to run on windows 7 Reply with quote

xvtommylx wrote:
I have a preval copy from the pdc show and Mj will not install I tryed to run it in compatiabilty mode and nothing any idea's ?
it's difficult to give tech help without that version being installed on our systems Smile

you're too early with the OS 7 ... Sad ... unless someone here also has the pre-version
xvtommylx
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: windows 7 and MJ Reply with quote

yeah i figured i give it a shot been talking with developers but then are working on it not yet achieved tho
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: windows 7 and MJ Reply with quote

xvtommylx wrote:
yeah i figured i give it a shot been talking with developers but then are working on it not yet achieved tho

I try to stay away from Beta, or Pre-release versions, being things within it can change during its development, very often, and compatibility with hardware, and software is "up and down" all the time... it gets to complex re-installing the latest Beta version each time, unless you're getting paid to Beta test, of course. Smile
MagicHack
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Any one get MJ to run on windows 7 Reply with quote

xvtommylx wrote:
I have a preval copy from the pdc show and Mj will not install I tried to run it in compatibility mode and nothing any idea's ?

Can you give some details, like:
  • Are there any error message displayed to the screen?
  • Anything in the event viewer?
  • Does the software get copied to:
    Code:
    C:\Documents and Settings\<YOURNAME>\Application Data\mjusbsp\

• Does the softphone attempt to start?
  • etc

When the softphone normally starts up, some of the params that are passed to the magicJack provisioning servers include your osname and os version. Normally this looks something like:
Code:
...osname=V2lu\nos=NS4xLlNlcnZpY2UgUGFjayAy\n...

In the above example, those values base64 decode to "Win" and "5.1.Service Pack 2". So, if the issue is that the softphone simply will not start, it may be magicJack not allowing your version of windows.

If you can get the software copied to the mjusbsp directory above, try starting the magicJack manually, and enable logging like:
Code:
"C:\Documents and Settings\<yourname>\Application Data\mjusbsp\magicJack.exe" /foreground /lf log.txt /scf _magicJackPersonalDataRoot "F:\magicJack"

(substitute the proper drive letter above for the F:\magicJack)

Then look at the log.txt file that is created from the command above. Perhaps the log file contains some useful debug info.
xvtommylx
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: windows 7 blah Reply with quote

well is says you must plug in to usb but it is followed the directions from the Mj customer support and tech tips but it will not copy anything maybe becuase of the os version but hey windows 7 is pretty cool guess I will wait fir my next release to get here
MagicHack
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: windows 7 blah Reply with quote

xvtommylx wrote:
well is says you must plug in to usb but it is followed the directions from the Mj customer support and tech tips but it will not copy anything maybe becuase of the os version but hey windows 7 is pretty cool guess I will wait fir my next release to get here

Try
  • plugging it into an XP machine to get it set up
  • manually copy the files from the mjusbsp directory on the XP machine to the Windows 7 machine
  • try to start the MJ without the dongle

If the above works, then the problem is probably with the USB device on Windows 7, (as opposed to MJ not allowing you to connect or a software problem)...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: