Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Anyone have incoming calls that are dead air?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hydin
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Anyone have incoming calls that are dead air?

I know this happens where people get ALL incoming calls that are dead air, but I have noticed for the last few days (maybe a week or so) that when my parents or my girlfriend calls, it's dead silence.

I can call my home phone from my cell, and it rings like normal and the answering machine picks up. The girlfriend can call me from work and it comes through fine. If she calls me from her cell (which she has done plenty of times before) I get a dead line and she gets silence on her end.

Could MJ be blocking out the most "Talked on" numbers? The only real calls I place on this for any length of time is to the girlfriend or the parents. Outgoing (so far) has been ok, just these incoming calls not working.

Really weird...
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject:

As you know from reading everyone else's postings, MJ earns a small amount of money for every minute of every incoming call. So, it is not in their interest to intentionally mess with these calls.

I would recommend that you force your MJ to use a different proxy server, as the one you are homed to (which seems to be the one physically closest to your telephone number and not the one that is physically closest to where you are) may be overloaded or troublesome. There are several threads here that discuss how to accomplish this.
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject:

mberlant wrote:
I would recommend that you force your MJ to use a different proxy server, as the one you are homed to (which seems to be the one physically closest to your telephone number and not the one that is physically closest to where you are) may be overloaded or troublesome. There are several threads here that discuss how to accomplish this.

One thing to be careful of is that some people report that when they block a proxy to cause MJ to register with a proxy in a different region, the vms server (when they make or receive a call) ends up being in the old region they were trying to get away from.

It doesn't happen to me. But, for those people they say they have to block vms servers to force it to start working with vms servers in the region where the new proxy is.

The problem with this is, if someone calls you and that call would be routed through the region where you blocked the vms server, "results are unpredictable." You'll get dead air. Then the caller goes to voice mail a couple times. Then it finally comes through a different vms server.

I tested this with a different MJ that is homed to the Chicago proxy, and forwards all calls to my Phoenix MJ. I would call that Chicago number using my cell phone. When I saw the vms server that the call was coming from (to my Phoenix MJ), I blocked it. Subsequent calls to Chicago (forwarded to Phoenix) got wierd. It rang Phoenix but dead air. Then went to Phoenix's voice mail twice. Then it went through a different vms server and worked fine. But, only once.

This needs more testing. I don't know how it would work with an MJ number calling another MJ number (instead of forwarding). Or, with a landline in that area where the vms server is blocked.

Blocking proxies may only be good for making outbound calls if someone needs to block vms servers to make it work. For those people who need to block vms servers, this needs to be tested more.

This is what's unfortunate about the way Dan changed to using IP addresses instead of hostnames. If the hosts file were used to make a change, it wouldn't render addresses unusable for incoming calls.

Mark
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:20 am    Post subject:

I didn't understand the relationship until this explanation. Thanks. This explains why some proxy servers get overloaded and why the network has no way of rebalancing the load. I have not seen such a fault-intolerant network design in any other SIP network.

The DIDs and their associated VM servers should not be associated with any subscriber-side SIP server. They should be on their own proxy server(s) and have access to the subscriber Register tables on the subscriber proxy servers in order to be able to route inbound calls to the correct subscriber proxy server.

Could it be that MJ's original developers downloaded a free copy of SER, taught themselves how to program it with all services on one Linux box, and then never learned how to take the building blocks apart to build a cluster properly when MJ outgrew the first box?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: