magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone hear of this MJ like ( BUT ATA) device?????

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Alternatives to magicJack
View previous topic :: View next topic  
newtoncd
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BooDaddy wrote:
I ordered mine friday night. I think the shipping delay is partly due to them having to actually program the device. From what I read, when you get the device its ready to go... you plug it in, and then you get a confirmation call, and boom... your ready.

This thing does exactly what MJ should do...work without a stupid PC. I am also thinking since it uses a standard asterisk front end, it may be possible to do your own ATA.

It is, but I can't get call waiting to work ... everything else works great on the Linksys PAP2T-NA. The only reason I tested it was because I am waiting on them to fix the issue with the Panasonic DECT 6.0 handsets (it can't detect the DTMF).
BooDaddy
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWEET!! Good to hear you got it working on an ATA. Hopefully I will have mine soon so I can start playing with my ATA. I bet the call waiting is an issue on how they detect the hook pulse.

It looks like they have a little tweaking on their end to their configs to fix a few things... like the DTMF and hook pulse recognition
voipmailme
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newtoncd wrote:

It is, but I can't get call waiting to work ... everything else works great on the Linksys PAP2T-NA. The only reason I tested it was because I am waiting on them to fix the issue with the Panasonic DECT 6.0 handsets (it can't detect the DTMF).

newtoncd, How is the call quality with ATA compared to nettalk device ?
hsweiss
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJ Problem Solver wrote:
Looks like copyright infringement to me............

Evens sounds like the same person that does the Magic Jack commercials.

Notice how many time they say the word "magic"

Looks like a downright copycat of MJ - with a repackaging of the dongle with ATA functionality - adding a processor to what was only a flash drive. Here's a quote from the NT FAQ - does this sound familiar? I was hoping that they would do *real* 3-way calling where I could initiate the call but its amazing how both MJ and NTdo it the same way isn't it?

--------------------------------------------------------

Does TK6000 support three-way calling?
Article YES.

TK6000 supports 3-Way Conference Calling for incoming calls.

How 3-Way Conference Calling Works:
1. Have both parties call you.
2. With one party on the line, and one on hold (using call waiting), simply press # # to start a three-way call.
3. Press # * to end the three-way call.
BooDaddy
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, this doesn't constitute copyright infringement. Please read up on US copyright and patent law.

While I do agree, thats a janky way to do 3 way calling, it would be simple for them to fix. I bet you would have a better chance of netTALK fixing it than you would magicJack.
Imperial.mack
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got my tk6000 but how do I get the sip info?
dan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

has anyone did a network capture to see what sip proxies your calls are hitting. I wonder who is the company behind this? I know MJ uses level 3 and XO to complete most of their calls. I would be interested to know who does their long haul routing
nestman
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you who have purchased this device, can you let us know how the caller ID works? I want to backfeed the phone line into my home so that all phones in the house can make and receive calls. MJ kind of does this, but because MJ doesn't put off enough voltage, the other phones in my house don't actually ring when a call comes in, nor does caller ID work on them. But they can each be used to place calls.

Hopefully this new device will work better.

Thanks!
newtoncd

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voipmailme wrote:
newtoncd wrote:

I would say the device is a bit better than the ATA, however, because I can't get call waiting to work on the ATA, it is a non-starter.
newtoncd

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan wrote:
has anyone did a network capture to see what sip proxies your calls are hitting. I wonder who is the company behind this? I know MJ uses level 3 and XO to complete most of their calls. I would be interested to know who does their long haul routing

My tracert goes from Qwest (my provider) to sprinlink.net to their IP.
voipmailme
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newtoncd wrote:
voipmailme wrote:
newtoncd wrote:

I would say the device is a bit better than the ATA, however, because I can't get call waiting to work on the ATA, it is a non-starter.

I must also say the call quality is far better than MJ ..
voipmailme
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they curently running special this weekend .......

FOREVER Special ... For a limited time, we�re offering our special price of only 4-payments of $24.95 that is $99.80 FOREVER

http://www.tk6000.com/
msiam

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy I ordered mine.. I would however, like to know how you guys got your sip info, I will be wanting to set it up and play with it on a PAP2NA when it gets here. Damn, I miss my ATA with the MJ.. Im done with fighting the MJ crap for now .. Ill just fwd my MJ # To this thing and let it ride out its time and in the meantime give out my GV number .. Really tired of MJs crap.. Seems a lot of people are giving up on them.. Im sure they read this and I dont mind them knowing how fed up I am and Im giving them the ol "CYA" .. Anyway.. Even if this new thing dont work.. Voxox is working fine on an ata and is good for recieving calls and calling out for 1c, if I even need to make a call.. TMobile@home is good for that anyway.. Bye bye MJ..Was fun and I sure learned a lot.. Rolling Eyes
arcadia2uk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It brings my thoughts back to SunRocket, but since I'm a sucker of gizmos I have ordered one.

Further, the offer is not very clear, but rather confusing, stating;
- FREE TK6000 to TK6000 Calls
and on another place;
- FREE unlimited local and long-distance calls*
Anyway, the asterix is not explained, why it could be FREE unlimited local and long-distance calls to other TK6000's.

Conclusion, even if I receive what I've ordered I woun't give away my MJ.
nestman
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

msiam wrote:
Voxox is working fine on an ata and is good for recieving calls and calling out for 1c, if I even need to make a call..

Please tell me how you use Voxox on an ATA. I just downloaded it and it doesn't appear to need any hardware like MagicJack.

Thanks.
synchron

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For VoxOx sip credentials:

Username: your 11 digit DID
password: what gets you on the softphone
proxy server: sip01-west.voxox.com or sip.voxox.com

I don't think VoxOx is happy if you use it with an ATA at the same time as the softphone's running (unlike Sipgate, gimo5, and other providers that allow free incoming).

Synchron Cool
cubfan
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thing does not have call forwarding.
msiam

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

synchron thanks for answering that question for Nestman, I dont get on here as often as I used to.. Embarassed
nestman
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what is the consensus? Voxox or Sipgate?
msiam

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voxox has a thumbs up with me.. there are a lot of toys on the program ran on the PC.. You can actually send faxes with their software from there portal.. Like was said, you may not want to run both the ata and the software on the PC at the same time, but send yourself an invite and earn more points.. set up another soft phone with another number and, boom.. you got some nice set up. Free incoming, the only drawback is the 1c min outbound, but that aint bad compared to a lot of them.. Oh.. did I mention that there is no sign up fee?? I think that sipgate has 2c a minute outbound.. No sure.. just kind of think that it is..

Last edited by msiam on Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This thing does not have call forwarding.

That's a deal breaker, for me. (see how spoiled we are!) I think if you look at the feature set, they lack a few other things, as well. For instance, I didn't see Call Waiting or Caller ID on their web page. And, if MJ hadn't gotten rid of the most important feature of all - DND, Brand X couldn't hold a candle to them. Okay, just kidding.

Seriously, I think the larger issue is whether the tk6000 will be around for the duration or they're a flash-in-the-pan. In any case, I'm happy with my little bundle of joy. If the TK6000 turns out to be a better mouse trap, great! After all, competition is the American way.
nestman
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do Not Disturb is more important to you than caller ID?
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did say I was just kidding... I never used the DND but it seemed to be important to a lot of other folks. I have all my MJ calls forwarded to my GV#.
nestman
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does GV offer a soft phone or any other way to place calls? Or is this to be used in conjunction with a land line or cell phone?

Thanks!
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a number of ways to call from Google Voice.

1.) Create a contact list within GV. When you click on the number, GV will connect with your number and then call your contact. Your GV# will show up on their CID.

2.) GV has a place to enter a number to call without having it in your contact list. Again, your phone will ring from GV and then you will be connected.

3.) You can call your GV#, go to voice mail, press "2" (I think) and you will be prompted to enter a number to call.

4.) If you have a Blackberry or Android device, there are apps provided by GV. I'm using a Samsung Omnia and there is a freeware app and a shareware app for calling out directly from my PDA.

5.) If you PDA is web enabled, you can call out from www.google.com/voice/m

6.) You can place a Google widget on your web page to dial your number without having to give it out. At present, it doesn't work in email, but the GV forum has a work around.

I think that about covers everything. Hope that answers your question.
GuyOnTheAir

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkman90808 wrote:
There are a number of ways to call from Google Voice.

6.) You can place a Google widget on your web page to dial your number without having to give it out. At present, it doesn't work in email, but the GV forum has a work around.

Where did you hear this? The one I've placed on my Web sites work fine... Just tested now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuyOnTheAir... maybe I wasn't clear about the email thing, but you can't place the widget in your email signature, for instance, so recipients could click and call. I do have the widget on my blog, so the work around is to put a hyperlink in the email. Otherwise, it can't be done directly.
TexGuy
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to join the TK6000 family today.........
micheal
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Sounds interesting, but how to get a local phone number? Reply with quote

Sounds interesting, but how to get a local phone number for this nettalk T6000?

Anybody advice?

Can I port my MJ number over?
newtoncd

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: Sounds interesting, but how to get a local phone number? Reply with quote

micheal wrote:
Sounds interesting, but how to get a local phone number for this nettalk T6000?

Anybody advice?

Can I port my MJ number over?

No, not at this time. You won't know about a local number until you actually order and get the device. At this time, they don't have a lot of numbers. I would look into Google Voice for your local number.

I have the tk6000 and the quality of the calls are excellent, however, I have had a problem with the service not working with my Panasonic DECT 6.0 phones. They purchased my same phone system and have a fix they are getting to roll out soon.

So far, their customer service has been very good.
bass420
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how does the net talk (tk6000) working?
newtoncd

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bass420 wrote:
how does the net talk (tk6000) working?

Plug the device into your router (via ethernet) or into your computer (via USB), wait for it to ring, and you have service.
MJ User
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to use the router connection when at home and the USB connection when traveling or do you have to commit to only one type of connection?
newtoncd

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJ User wrote:
Is it possible to use the router connection when at home and the USB connection when traveling or do you have to commit to only one type of connection?

It does not matter.
mohoelx
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Ordered today.... we'll see.... Reply with quote

I'll post my experience in 7 - 10 days, assuming they deliver on time.... Very Happy

I have a deal where I've been using MJ for a second line as I work from home, but my employer recently updated expectations and one is no un-authorized soft-phone on my work computer.... I *could* move MJ to my home computer and keep going, but then I would still have a problem when I visit my kids or parents. With TK, I can take it with me and still not have a soft-phone on the laptop.

So, if it works well, I may be putting my MJ on the shelf....since my dear wife will NOT let us get rid of our home number we've had for 20 years, and neither MJ nor TK will be up for 'porting' Bell POTS numbers in either of their lifetimes, I'm sure! Laughing
gg
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: having trouble Reply with quote

having trouble with understanding if it is free to all us and can. or just other tk6000 devices can someone clarify this for me
voipmailme
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: having trouble Reply with quote

gg wrote:
having trouble with understanding if it is free to all us and can. or just other tk6000 devices can someone clarify this for me

check this post http://forum.nettalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=123&p=435#p435
gg
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: great Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply i thought that was what it was but thought I had read that they were charging .01 or .02 a min. free is free. I had one of the orginal MJ and it was great then i erased it during a virus removal by aaccident. This was before they had rma so through it in the trash. I have two of the newer ones that work great but want to give this a try as well. Thanks again
micheal
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Do I have to dial 1 always in front of # for tk6000? Reply with quote

Do I have to dial 1 always in front of # for tk6000?

Plus, how do I change my username from default?
UPdownLoAD
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following is my own opinion, and is not biased. YMMV.

The Ordering Process
I finally took the plunge on Aug 28th after watching and reading the forums for about a month and decided to order. At the time of ordering, the offer was 4 payments $24.95 + shipping. When getting to the second screen, they offered me free shipping if I was willing to pay in full now. I decided against this, but changed my mind at the end of the order and could not go back to accept the free shipping offer. AFAIK, this process has been changed after leaving appropriate feedback of the ordering process.

The second screen offered me another TK6000 with the same number for only $79.99 + s/h. Sure, why not! Next screen offered me another TK6000 with free shipping for a friend and no discount, which I passed on, and the final screen offered a 5 year warranty on all devices I ordered today for only $19.95 vs the 1 year standard warranty. Since I was purchasing 2 devices, that's about 10% of the product price for 5 years of coverage which I felt was a good value, so I purchased that, too.

Shipping/Tracking/Billing
A received an e-mail almost immediately confirming my order. At the bottom of the order, it stated "Please allow 7-14 business days for delivery.
Your credit card will not be charged until your order is shipped," so I was very impressed/surprised when on Sept 1 I saw a charge on my credit card from Nettalk! Unfortunately, I didn't get a tracking number until the 4th and it didn't actually leave until Sept 9th. However, I received my package only 2 days later on Sept 11th, so overall, it was within the expected time frame.

For the stalkers out there, here's my tracking info: http://www.fedex.com/Tracking?&tracknumbers=9102185456356122835686

Unboxing
For just spending $19.90 on shipping/handling, I expected to see a lot of bubble wrap inside the box. But when I opened the box, the 2 TK6000 kits I ordered were just sitting back-to-back with an invoice underneath. Luckily, the TK6000s are packaged well, and the box did fit them well, so the likelihood of damage was very minimal (see pic). Still, I would have felt better if it was shipped more protected.

At first glance, the TK6000 looks/feels very similar to a MagicJack. In fact, I had to do a little Googling because one of the components used, the Ethernet port, CLEARLY shows "MagJack" on it. Google told me that it's just the name of a part, and in no way is associated with MagicJack. I do, however, recommend that netTALK covers this up or uses a different manufacturer to avoid confusion and conspiracy theories.....

As stated above, there was very little opportunity for the TK6000 to be damaged in shipping so I was disappointed to see the exact same scratches/impact marks on the side where the MINI USB goes as well as a scuff on the top between the phone and Ethernet jacks on both TK6000s. This clearly came from assembly, especially since they were in the same spots (see pics). Maybe assembling in the USA isn't a good idea?

Underneath the physical device is the login information on a card to login to your netTALK account. You will need to login to put your customer information in for E911 to work. You also need this information if you want to change your number (or put one on there), enable call forwarding, etc.

Let's Try It....
The unique selling points of the TK6000 are it's ready to go out of the box and no PC is needed. So I plugged in the Ethernet cable, the phone, and then the power. Less than 20 seconds, and my phone rang indicating that it was ready to go. Or so I thought. Busy signal.

I played with both devices using other phones, connections, and PCs, and other than the first time, the phone never rang again to indicate it was ready to go. I even plugged directly into my modem, using both a patch cable and the included cable and no-go. I logged into my account, and did not see a phone number assigned to my TK6000s, so I put in a trouble ticket on Friday night and assumed the problem at this point was that no phone number was assigned to my TK6000s.

Next day, Saturday, I decided to visit my parents and I took my TK6000s over to show them, along with my phone. Just for grins, I plugged it in to my parents router and it rang in less than 20 seconds. Hmmmm. Let's make a call. Worked perfectly, but was showing my card number as the phone number. Maybe they worked on my ticket?

I went back home, plugged in, nothing. A thought then occurred to me about putting my modem into bridge mode; I have a SlingBox, and when working with Embarq (my DSL provider) support, it needed to be put into bridge mode to work. I don't remember why, but I switched out of bridge mode awhile back, so I figured what-the-hey. BINGO! Within 20 seconds of me putting the modem into bridge mode, I was able to make calls.

Local Number
Monday, I put in a ticket to get a phone number assigned and get a local number. Within 2 hours, I had a temporary number so I could make/receive calls, and within a total of 4 hours, I had a local number!

Here's where it gets a bit confusing- I purchased 2 TK6000s so I could have the same number. Tech support has it setup when I receive a call, both devices ring (similar to using Google Voice), but as far as OUTGOING calls, only 1 will show up on caller ID with my local number; it shows my card number. I may just need to update my ticket or this may be as good as it gets, but technically, I do not have the same number on the second device because NO number is on it.

So how does it work already?!
Before I get into great detail, let me explain my reason for purchasing- I purchased a MagicJack a year ago because I found the only reason I was using my home phone was for Dish Network's requirement that I have a phone line plugged in. So last Sept, I cut the landline, purchased a MagicJack and a thin client (a low-power using PC), and was dandy. But MagicJack changed something around last Nov/Dec, and I have been unable to dial out to Dish Network for it's status checks and am getting charged $5/mo extra that Dish is unwilling to remove.

So that said, I was excited when I saw a device that didn't require me to have a dedicated PC running 24/7 to be used. And since others posted that they could fax using the TK6000 whereas they couldn't with MagicJack, I figured this would work perfectly.

AND I WAS RIGHT! It works perfectly with Dish Network's status updates. I also tried it to view/pay bill, and that too worked great.

So since my primary reason to own the TK6000 works, I decided to use both the TK6000 and the MagicJack for exactly what they were meant for- calling. I called my mom on my cell phone to explain to her what I was doing, and told her I wanted opinions of the quality of calls.

First up was the MagicJack in Aircard/3G mode. It worked, but was very quiet and just didn't have a high voice quality. There was no garbling, distortions, or delays.

Next was the MagicJack in regular mode. Worked fine, sounded like a cellphone call, but at times were echoing/lagging.

Finally, it was time for the TK6000. The quality was EXCELLENT and sounded like a static-free landline. I told my mom I've never talked to her on the phone so clearly before, and she agreed. We kept talking, and she said I garbled a bit like Max Headroom (go Google him, youngins). It was consistently random, happening about every 30 seconds or so. It may have been related to my network; to the best of my knowledge, nothing else was using my internet connection at the time of testing, but I did have echoing/lagging with MagicJack as well and I used that perfectly before when traveling.

I was also able to plug a 2 phone splitter into the TK6000 and it worked, but the MagicJack doesn't like it and would only ring/power 1 phone at a time.

Overall.....
Before I give my overall opinion and comparisons, I do want to mention that a year ago, I purchased my MagicJack and though it was easy to setup out of the box to create an account and pick an area code, it wouldn't work. There was no tech support number to call, the web chat was scripted and treated me like I had never used a PC before. The only way I was able to figure out what was the problem and how to fix it was to join the unsupported MagicJack Support forums, which has NO association with MagicJack. After finding out that all I needed done was them to refresh my account at their end, it took an hour and a half of web chat before I could get anyone to break their script of things to have me try and actually listen to my "suggestion" on getting it to work.

That said above, it's very refreshing to have a number to call for support (though I didn't use it), a forum provided by netTALK that is allowing good, bad, and ugly comments to be posted without being removed and that are actually listening and implementing suggestions that are posted, and a very responsive trouble-ticket support.

Pros of TK6000 (at least at time of review):
-No PC required, so saves power
-No additional yearly fees (unlimited forever)
-Able to be used for faxing, dial-up VPN/ISPs, and satellite providers
-VERY clear calls
-No time limit of calls
-800 support number
-Company-supported forums for support and suggestions
-Responsive tech support
-Able to plug in more than one phone/device at the same time
-Free to change number/area code
-Promising to be able to port number to TK6000 in the future

Cons of TK6000 (at least at time of review):
-Upfront cost
-Unknown company
-You will more-than-likely need to put in a support ticket to get a local number
-No weekend tech support
-You may have computability issues with modem/router

Pros of MagicJack (at least at time of review):
-Minimal investment with $19.99/year service renewal (or cheaper)
-Works with any PC connected to the internet that doesn't have restricted privileges
-More-than-likely will work without needing to change your modem/router settings
-Softphone on PC can allow you to make/receive calls using speaker and mic w/o a phone
-Easy-to-use login page to maintenance such as call forwarding or changing your number
-Aircard/dialup connection option so you can still use with a slower internet connection
-Recognition- it's now available at CVS, Best Buy, etc

Cons of MagicJack (at least at time of review):
-MUST have PC running to be used
-If you make a call, the softphone pops up on the PC and will interrupt the PC user
-Little-to-no actual support, but they can help you learn how to plug it in and open ports
-Will cost more in the long run due to renewal fees and PC power consumption
-No option of extended warranty
-Fragile protruding USB port that can be bent or damaged easily
-If you break your device, you cannot transfer your number
-No option to port your number
-Not able to be used for faxing, dial-up VPN/ISPs, and satellite providers
-Limited length of calls (2hrs)

Final thoughts....
IMHO, the netTALK is a far superior device compared to the MagicJack. But at the time of review, MagicJack does work right out of the box and requires little-to-no technical knowledge to use, whereas I did not experience the same simplicity with the TK6000. It appears that simplicity is the long-term goal of the netTALK, especially since it doesn't even require a PC to be used, but I right now I had to work to get it working.

I would recommend that you be a MagicJack owner before you purchase the TK6000 because you may not appreciate all of the benefits that the TK6000 has to offer until you're frustrated with the MagicJack, such as having to have a PC on to use it, having to have admin rights on the PC to install the software, or needing to fax.

Now that the TK6000 is working in my home, it's not going to be unplugged. But my concern is if I travel with my other device, is it going to work when I get to my hotel or will I have to ask the hotel manager to change settings on their modem/router? For that reason, I think my second device will be sold to a friend or returned, and the MagicJack will be kept for traveling.

fuguansun
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: issue with tk6000, cannot input extention number or others Reply with quote

I tried to call a local number, works, then when asked for extention, it did nto work. seems cannot recognize it.

Then I tried to call in my GV number, then asked my pin, put pin in, it could not recognize it either.

ANybody know the fix of it?

Plus everytime you have to dial 1 in front of any number, is that annoying?
UPdownLoAD
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: issue with tk6000, cannot input extention number or othe Reply with quote

fuguansun wrote:
I tried to call a local number, works, then when asked for extention, it did nto work. seems cannot recognize it.

Then I tried to call in my GV number, then asked my pin, put pin in, it could not recognize it either.

ANybody know the fix of it?

There was a comment of a similar issue with banking on the the nettalk forum, and an admin said they're aware of it and would be a fix shortly.
doohickey
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: issue with tk6000, cannot input extention number or othe Reply with quote

fuguansun wrote:

This may soon be required for all people who don't have the ability to write their own dial plans, including users of land lines. I was just informed yesterday that dialing 1 will soon be required in my state.
crackerjack
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: issue with tk6000, cannot input extention number or othe Reply with quote

doohickey wrote:
fuguansun wrote:

This may soon be required for all people who don't have the ability to write their own dial plans, including users of land lines. I was just informed yesterday that dialing 1 will soon be required in my state.

At least within the realm of your local PSTN provider.
Whether it applies to your VOIP connection is a totally different (and totally independent) issue.
BTW, how does one implement a dial plan for a POTS/PSTN line supplied via copper???
doohickey
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose my previous comment can be read in different ways. The point I was trying to make is that the inconvenience of dialing 1 is spreading.

I never considered setting up a dial plan for landlines, but I'm under the impression this can be accomplished with devices like the SPA3102. I have one, but I don't have a landline to test this on.
fuguansun
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: got another issues with TK6000 Reply with quote

Every morning, it works great. made calls and received incoming calls.

Then all of sudden, in the afternoon, incoming calls cannot be dialed through, and but can make outgoing calls.

Is that weird?
kulumbaa
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tk6000 90 min limits to phone calls just fyi
GuyOnTheAir

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got my tk6000, and the first time I tried to use, I had this issue with the 1 not being recognized...
So I unplugged it and waited and plugged it back in, and waited for the ring to signal it was ready. And now I don't have that problem. However, doesn't seem to work too good with phone trees and menus... Somewhere the voice gets lots of the numbers don't do anything. Haven't submitted a ticket about it yet, just sayin'...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
arcadia2uk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: TK6000 keep alive issue Reply with quote

I have noticed that my TK6000 looses connection at least once a day. It's easy to resolve by rebooting, but I don't know how many calls have been lost in between. Anyway, this is especially annoying since the message playing for the caller is "This number is not connected", in worst case a buzy signal would be accepatable.
On my router, using dd-wrt, I have an option called proxy watchdog, that would eliminate the issue. However, in order to set this up I would need a proxy IP and a proxy port as well as the recommended intervall. I would very much appreciate your recommendation.
arc
stav

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: TK6000 keep alive issue Reply with quote

arcadia2uk wrote:

On my router, using dd-wrt, I have an option called proxy watchdog, that would eliminate the issue. However, in order to set this up I would need a proxy IP and a proxy port as well as the recommended intervall. I would very much appreciate your recommendation.
arc

Not a specialist by far, but isnt this what MJMD5 is doing? You could load it in your dd-wrt router (if you have enough space in your flash memory) and point it to you router's IP. There is nice thread in this forum with detailed instructions on how to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Alternatives to magicJack All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: