magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

auto attendant

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yeahgreat
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: auto attendant Reply with quote

Hello, I am wondering if there is a way to hook an auto attendant to the magic jack phone? I bought a line for business and would like to do this.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
digitalnomad
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell us more...what do you mean by an auto attendant? Software...how does it interface, were does it reside...
yeahgreat
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to have a phone in the home...E.T. style. My dream would be a call comes into my line and is fed through an auto attendant. I can then take the call or after someone holding for a while they could leave a message. I just want something more professional than a typical answering machine.

Has anyone done this with majicjack?
garybritt
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tested magicjack through my old office hybrid digital/switching phone system and it worked fine. I assume it would work just fine with newer phone systems as well. Just ran the magicjack line to the telephone in line jacks on the phone system. Then used the phones attached to the phone system. As far as the phone system was concerned the magicjack line was just one of the incoming POTS lines.

Gary
garybritt
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a pc computer solution I would imagine you could run the magicjack line to the telephone line in on your computers modem or another computer's modem and then have auto attendant software answer the modem line and do its thang from there.

Gary
yeahgreat
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Gary let me explain in more detail. I am thinking about making a purchase of something like this:

Sprint/Radio Shack SP-708 4 Line Speakerphone w/ Auto Attendant

4-line phone system combines advanced telephone technology with a complete 4-line system. You can connect up to 12 stations, with each serving as an extension on which you can make & receive outside & internal calls.

My question is, if I have one phone number can I set something like this up for different departments? There are no "real departments" it's only my 1 home business phone number. I will not have multiple phones since it's only one majicjack number.

I'm a bit new to how one can do this with 1 phone number.
garybritt
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as the phone system you are thinking of getting will do what you want with a single regular old analog phone line like most people have in their homes (RJ11 type connection), then it will do it with the phone line from the magicjack. Instead of plugging a phone into the magicjack you just run a regular telephone line from the magicjack to the phone line in jack on the phone system.

The phone system won't be able to tell the difference between a regular old Bell South/AT&T or whatever telephone line and the magicjack line coming from your computer/magicjack device.

Gary
SpamBox
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garybritt wrote:
The phone system won't be able to tell the difference between a regular old Bell South/AT&T or whatever telephone line and the magicjack line coming from your computer/magicjack device.
Gary

Perfectly said!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: