magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blocking Unknown Callers (26669-6687)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anthony2
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Blocking Unknown Callers (26669-6687) Reply with quote

So I'm getting calls left and right from an unknown number - this is all that shows up: 26669-6687. I picked up once and they don't answer. The green light for my Voice Mail is lit after they call, but when I check my messages, nothing's there.

So my question: I know MJ doesn't offer such an option, so are there any recent / working plugins that block anonymous callers?

I tried to create a Google Voice account, forward my MJ number to that number, and then forward from Google back to my MJ, but it didn't work. I've read about Majicfeautres, but 1) I don't think I've found any reviews of anyone that's actually put it to use and 2) I'm not even sure if it'll block unknown numbers.

Any help you guys can send this way? This is getting annoying.
redpepper
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Magicfeatures Plugin lets you block any call you want including anonymous calls.

In any case, you can download and try out the full version free for 7 days to make sure it meets your needs before purchase.
Anthony2
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, thanks. I'll do that.

In the meantime, all other suggestions on similar plugins or even alternative methods of blocking numbers are welcome.

[EDIT] I think I may have downloaded this before, because it says that the "Trial Version Has Expired." Oh well...any other options?
black_icon
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the call is coming from a telemarketer, you can block the number from www.donotcall.gov or if it's harassing you, you can report it to the authority and they'll serve a subpoena for that number and the authority will be the one to contact MJ with that matter.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Anthony2
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, black. My number's already listed on donotcall.gov, both my home and my Magicjack phone numbers, but I still keep getting these calls on both lines.

As for reporting it, you're saying call the non-emergency police and file a complaint? I don't have an actual number to give them, though. That 26669-6687 number I posted above is the number that shows up when you *67 (private call) any MJ phone. I tried it (dialed *67 + my MJ phone number using my house phone) and that's the number that came up. Do you think authorities could still do something about it? And is that literally my only option? Not that I care, because this is getting ridiculous, but I am curious.
black_icon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's right! That's your best and only option because MJ doesn't have the feature yet to block calls. I believe that there's something they can do about it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Anthony2
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright...thanks again, Black. I appreciate the help.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

266 is the country code for Lesoto in Africa, and does not appear to be a valid area code for the US or Canada:

http://areacode.org/

It definitely appears that someone is spoofing the number for caller ID purposes, or calling you from Africa. As such, donotcall is a waste of time. And if the calls are not of a threatening nature, I highly doubt any local/state/federal authorities have the resources and/or the desire to serve a subpoena regarding this. I suppose it doesn't hurt to try.

But if you have the time to play around with it, and since you already have a GV number, I would try the new PCPhoneSoft product, GVJackApp for that 7 day trial. It has the same number blocking ability as MagicFeatures. I currently am having all my MJ calls forwarded to the App and it works fine. The only downside is that during the 7 days your GV and not your MJ number will show up on your outgoing calls. But maybe after 7 days they will give up. At worst, you can see how you like the App and maybe use it to replace your MJ at renewal time.
Anthony2
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the words, nailgunner. I'll give the trial version of GVJackApp a try.

As for that number...it's the same one that comes up any time someone dials *67 to block their number from showing up in my (or anyone with a MJ phone's) called ID. It may also appear if the number is automatically blocked - I know some places set their system up that way.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anthony2 wrote:
As for that number...it's the same one that comes up any time someone dials *67 to block their number from showing up in my (or anyone with a MJ phone's) called ID. It may also appear if the number is automatically blocked - I know some places set their system up that way.

Interesting on the number, my google search had turned up nothing.

As far as the App goes, there are 2 ways to block incoming calls. One is an anonymous call screening option to check. The other is a call screening table where you can enter in numbers and it allows wildcards. Not sure how it works when a # gets associated with a blocked incoming, but between the two options, I'm sure it will work.
black_icon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can suggest to MJ engineers is to design a feature that can block unwanted and unknown calls to compete other VoIP in the market... Very Happy
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

black_icon wrote:
I can suggest to MJ engineers is to design a feature

I suspect you will see hell freeze over first.
black_icon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I could agree with you nailgunner and online networking sites will be full of comments and complaints Laughing
mmagic
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotten two early-morning calls from 26669-6687 this week. Today's was at 6:52am. Does MagicFeatures still work? Maybe I need to give that a try.

BTW this article points out that 26669-6687 is a "phoneword" for ANONYMOUS (try dialing "ANONYMOUS" on your phone). I'm thinking that since MJ doesn't do a CNAM lookup, it just displays 26669-6887 when the caller has blocked their number.
Firedoc
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Call from 26669-6687 Reply with quote

How does any one know where this call originated from?

I never answer a number I do not recognize and you cannot call this number, using a different number to call from than received, I needed more information as an Area Code
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no way for the MJ customer to learn directly who made this anonymous call. When a caller requests anonymity by dialing the *67 code in front of the number it instructs the telephone network to withhold the calling number from the destination party. YMAX, MJ's telephone provider, does receive this information in the SS7 incoming call packet, but they will not disclose it to the MJ user. This is how it is possible to use *69 to call an anonymous party back without having known that party's phone number.

You would be entitled to know the anonymous party's phone number if you were paying for the incoming call. Since MJ does not support collect calls and does not offer toll free numbers, MJ would never disclose such a phone number to you.

If you are in the mood for a challenge you can try to get your local police to investigate your harassing phone calls. You supply the police with your MJ phone number and the exact time and date of each call (in Eastern Standard Time, regardless of what time zone you live in or whether Daylight Savings Time is in effect, since that is the only time stamp MJ uses). The police can then demand the disclosure of the calling party's information for use in their case. MJ Customer Service being what it is, the detectives will probably get more cooperation out of MJ "with a smile and a subpoena than with a smile alone."

Happy hunting.
Firedoc
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mberlant: Thank you, not worth the hassle involving the Police, no harm done at this point. I am very security conscious, and naturally feel if someone calls no matter the reason as a user of Any Phone Service, we should have the knowledge of who is calling first, before answering.

And why I will not answer any number I do not recognize, so a waste of their time, even those from Verizon, Quest, Comcast, Humana, United Health Care, or automated calling systems as only a ploy to annoy, and unwanted.

And the call is never important of those I do recognize when calling, so no I am not in the mood for a challenge, nor wasting more of my time. Same of Spam/Phishing e-mails, commercials, delete & mute.

The Perpetrators, may they receive the same 10 fold for every annoying call or if a scam. Maybe one day someone will for all Phone Services we use invent *99, to Block any unrecognized or unwanted call of that number. Thanks for your time mberlant
sandysmiley1
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Calls from 266696687 Reply with quote

I too just received 2 calls from this number. The second call the man said, "What is your name?" my reply, "What is YOUR name!" he replied, "I want to be your friend!" my reply, "You call this number again and I will charge YOU with harassment!" I hung up the phone! Smile [/b]
Bill Smith

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cathyrow and ChasityLvan are trying to sell a product that is illegal in the US. The posts are SPAM.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: