Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
CALL LOG WHEN USING THE MAGICJACK PLUS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> magicJack Plus Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
willietech
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: CALL LOG WHEN USING THE MAGICJACK PLUS

Really need a clarification. Just upgraded ? to the MJ + and noticed that while the MJ + is plugged directly into the internet , THERE IS NO CALL LOG GENERATED for incoming or outgoing calls. I did then plug the MJ + into the USB of my computer and sure enough , calls are then logged !!
SO... is it true that you will NEVER get a CALL LOG when the MJ + is directly connected to the internet ???? Thanks
Did try to first search the forum for call logs , didnt find this issue
Shocked
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject:

Actually it makes sense if you think about it. Your PC can be powered off and the Plus works, therefore there is no sofware required on your PC for it to "listen" to the Plus when it makes a call unless the Plus is in the USB port.
That being said, my Obi works the same way, BUT, they must have some rom in there unit so when I enter the IP address on my browser it connects to the OBi and I can access a call log, among MANY other things.
MAYBE, I don't know for sure, if you enter the Plus's IP address in a browser it will access the Plus.
I HATE telling people to contact chat support, but hey worth a shot if they know if you can access the Plus via it's IP address. Of course you may have to spell I P for them Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
willietech
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject:

Well , I assumed that MJ kept the log on their server as well when using the standard MJ. Yes the log was available on the computer that the regular MJ was plugged into , however when I logged on to my MJ account on their website and selected contacts , I could see the call log just as I could see it on the MJ phone application running on my computer.
GUESS THE QUESTION STANDS : When you use the MJ + on the internet will there NOT be any call Log available to you ?
Question
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject:

Yes that was a good assumption, but when it comes to MJ I have learned NEVER to assume.
I assume ( HA) you checked your account and made sure you picked the right MJ account to look at there? Not having a Plus I can't be sure if they separate the two on My.Magicjack.com, plus I havent used my regular MJ since March of this year. It is still active and I only forward any calls to it to my OBi ( Google voice).

Let me know what you find out as future reference for others....
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
willietech
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Thanks

Joe, Yes I now have two MJs showing , and I did pick the MJ + to check the call log. There might be folks that depend on that call log , of course I tried the Tech. Support 'chat" , waited for about 30 min, asked the question , was then disconnected , tried again and was told to hook up the MJ + to the computer , start the log and then put it back on the internet.
Yes it logs when the MJ + is using the computer , but nothing is created when hooked to the internet.
I tried to connect to the device ( thought I found the IP noted in my router) but was not able to talk to it.. Will keep trucking towards some type of resolution. TNX Shocked
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject:

Sure does seem like an oversight on their part, especially as you said some people may depend on that call list.
I am sure if someone on here figures out a way they will post it..
Shame the Plus can't be accessed via it's IP.. I bet there HAS to be a backdoor into it.. Seems like challange for some!! If I had one to play with I would give it a shot ... Maybe one day...
bfljaxMagicJackPlus
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Thanks

Your post and replies, just save me a bunch of time and frustration. Chatted with MJ Tech Support before I found you post. Here's how it went:

Please wait for a site operator to respond.
You are now chatting with 'Mona'
Your Issue ID for this chat is XYZXYZXYZXYZXYZ
Mona: Hello, how may I help you?
bfljaxMagicJackPlus: I am trying to see "My Call Log" on the www and it does not display or download anything
Mona: may i know on what device do you have right now?
bfljaxMagicJackPlus: magicjack plus
bfljaxMagicJackPlus: all it displays is:
bfljaxMagicJackPlus: LOPEZMAGICJACK Call Logs
Mona: may i know if it is connected to the computer?
bfljaxMagicJackPlus: the device is not connected to the computer it is connected to the router
Mona: please be informed that if the device is plugged in the router, you will not able to see the call logs even you plugged it in the computer right now.
Mona: you will see the future call logs if it in the computer.
bfljaxMagicJackPlus: why? The product is supposed to be used w/o a computer. I will try it and advise.

You'd think they would know what device you have since they ask you for your order# and Tel#!!??

There was nothing on their FAQ/KnowledgeBase that indicated NO logs if magicJack Plus was used as intended (w/o a computer).
Savario
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject:

logging doesn't work when plugged into the router directly.

i know because I have both MJ (3+ years) and MJ+ (1 month)

Just got a MJ + and I get a $&% load of telemarketing calls on the MJ+ and nothing is logged.

plus, the tabs on the ethernet cable broke the first time i plugged it in. not just one tab, both tabs. On the first day.

MJ+ is a piece of trash.
Savario
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject:

bitstopjoe wrote:
Actually it makes sense if you think about it. Your PC can be powered off and the Plus works, therefore there is no sofware required on your PC for it to "listen" to the Plus when it makes a call unless the Plus is in the USB port.

yes, but everyone has a unique MJ account. all calls have to be authorized by that account, so the information is recorded somewhere. They just have nothing in place that records that information into your account.
BobE2012
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Instead of feeling the "Magic"... I kind of feel &

I upgraded to MJplus because the MJ interfered with Skype, now I find that there is no call log for the MJplus. I depend on the call log for tracking billable time.

This is an unpleasant surprise. Since I can see that this has been on this forum since 2011, I can only assume that "they" are not too motivated to provide us MJplus upgraders (?) with the "call log" feature we expected to have from the get go. Go figure.

Wake up MagicJack... the MJplus upgraders could be your best word-of-mouth promoters... but now instead of feeling the Magic... I kind of feel "jacked".

bitstopjoe wrote:
Sure does seem like an oversight on their part, especially as you said some people may depend on that call list.
I am sure if someone on here figures out a way they will post it..
Shame the Plus can't be accessed via it's IP.. I bet there HAS to be a backdoor into it.. Seems like challange for some!! If I had one to play with I would give it a shot ... Maybe one day...
redpepper
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject:

If you decide you are willing to plug your magicJack or magicJack Plus dongle back into your computer to get call logging back in place, the downloadable Skyjack Plugin that lets you make magicJack and Skype calls from the same phone is worth trying out.

It should sort out whatever Skype issue you were having as long as you have a fairly modern computer that has enough steam to run magicJack and Skype at the same time.

To place Skype calls just go offhook and dial * followed by the number you wish to call or enter the Speed Dial number you have associated with a particular Skype user. You can also call Skype contacts using the Skype dialer itself and talk via your phone. When an incoming Skype call arrives just answer your phone when it rings.
SteveHC
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:12 am    Post subject:

BobE2012 - Just use you MJ+ via a PC USB connection (like the original MJ) and you'll have your call logging, no 3rd-party plugin or add-on required.
Gene45
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject:

This thread is telling me I have to log in to MJ to find out what is on my computer?

Can I find the same log without logging into MJ?

I checked my call log yesterday looking for number that had called me, and found not calls for the last (nearly) two months.

I guess the last recorded one was when I was testing it when it last failed.
Gene45
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject:

So I asked.
And was told that it is not possible t for anyone at MJ to look at call logs.

There are reports in another thread of people getting their service cancelled because of too many calls, but now I am told they can't see the log.

How can I ever know the truth?

Following is my discussion.
Please wait for a site operator to respond.

You are now chatting with 'Marybeth'

Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK554084015870X

Marybeth: Hello, how may I help you?

Marybeth: How are you today?

Gene: Can I see my call lof for MJ+ when it is l plugged inot the router?

Gene: call log

Marybeth: When you plug in your mj device into your router you cannot see the call log .

Gene: But in order to see the log I have to log into MJ to see aht is on my computer?

Gene: Can you see my call log ?

Marybeth: Yes when you plugged in your mj device into your computer you can see your call logs into your dial pad.

Gene: But I can log into MJ and ask for teh call logs but most calls re not recoreded

Marybeth: May I know where you plugged in your mj device ?

Gene: Now it is l plugged into the router.

Marybeth: Okay, Have you see the green and yellow on the magicjack device?

Gene: I havea flashing amber light, and no other light.

Marybeth: I seee

Gene: But can you see my call logs, or anyone at MJ.

Marybeth: Please unplug all the wires that connected into your mj device and unplug also your mj device into your router.

Gene: Why? It works I am only asking about seeing the call logs

Marybeth: Sory that is for my other customer., my apology

Gene: So can anyone at MJ look at custoemr call logs?

Marybeth: What do you mean?

Gene: I have seen repots of people whose servie was cancelled becaue hey made too many calls, so someong at MJ must bea ble to look at them . I want to lok at my own. If someone at MJ can see them, why not me?

Marybeth: I see

Marybeth: Let me explain about this

Marybeth: You can only see your call logs when you plug in your mj device every time you make and received call so that you can see your call logs.

Gene: If I receive a call form someone and want to call back, I could look up their number, if I were allowed to do so.

Gene: So can someone at MJ lok at call logs?

Marybeth: That is not possible Gene

Gene: OK fine Bye.
Los Angeles jack
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject:

Are not call logs stored in your phone when your device is directly connected to your router, looking at my VTech cordless phone it shows me the date, time, phone number, and in some instances the specific name of the caller, bob jones fir instance. i tend to erase my call logs when it gets long I guess to creat more space. Is this what you are referring to?
Gene45
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject:

Los Angeles jack wrote:
Are not call logs stored in your phone when your device is directly connected to your router, looking at my VTech cordless phone it shows me the date, time, phone number, and in some instances the specific name of the caller, bob jones fir instance. i tend to erase my call logs when it gets long I guess to creat more space. Is this what you are referring to?

I don't think so. The logs on your V-tech are different than the logs on Magic Jack.
If the MJ is plugged into the computer there is a record on your computer, and also by logging into magic jack's website, but I am using it plugged into the router, so there is no record on my computer. I can log into Magic jack and there is a place to look at the call logs, but the only logged calls are the ones where the device was plugged into the computer.

I am curious as to why I need to log into magic jack to see the data that is on my computer, and how do they cancel some peoples service based on overuse if they cannot look at the logs.

Somebody is not telling the truth, but I don't know who.
Los Angeles jack
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:48 am    Post subject:

Gene45 wrote:
Los Angeles jack wrote:

I don't think so. The logs on your V-tech are different than the logs on Magic Jack.
If the MJ is plugged into the computer there is a record on your computer, and also by logging into magic jack's website, but I am using it plugged into the router, so there is no record on my computer. I can log into Magic jack and there is a place to look at the call logs, but the only logged calls are the ones where the device was plugged into the computer.

I am curious as to why I need to log into magic jack to see the data that is on my computer, and how do they cancel some peoples service based on overuse if they cannot look at the logs.

Somebody is not telling the truth, but I don't know who.

Last night on 11/12/12, I logged into my account and there exists a call log consisting of the exact times/dates of all calls. Noteworthy is that I use only my router to make/receive calls, never the computer. It seems to be keeping a call log, it also could be a recent development which MJ implemented just recently, I don't know for sure.
Gene45
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject:

I just tried again, My old log stopped 08/27, with no calls recorded until 11/08 when three calls were recorded. None since then .

At about that time my MJ quit and was plugged back into the computer to update .

It seems to work differently for different people. Odd.
Los Angeles jack
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject:

I just re-checked my call logs again and Gene45 is correct, my bad. The most recent entry on my call log is 8/5/12 (it's missing all of Sept, Oct, and Nov)
formeat
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: CALL LOG WHEN USING THE MAGICJACK PLUS

willietech wrote:
Really need a clarification. Just upgraded ? to the MJ + and noticed that while the MJ + is plugged directly into the internet , THERE IS NO CALL LOG GENERATED for incoming or outgoing calls. I did then plug the MJ + into the USB of my computer and sure enough , calls are then logged !! SO... is it true that you will NEVER get a CALL LOG when the MJ + is directly connected to the internet ???? Thanks Did try to first search the forum for call logs , didnt find this issue Shocked

Insure that the MagicJack Plus is plugged into your router and your phone line is plugged into the MagicJack Plus. Then, simply plug your old MagicJack (not the MagicJack Plus) into a USB port on your computer but do NOT plug a phone line into it. The old MagicJack screen will appear and all INBOUND call functions will work, including Caller ID appearing on your computer screen when calls are received and incoming calls will be logged. However, nothing in the MagicJack screen will work for OUTBOUND functions such as placing calls through it or outbound call logging. Use use your telephone directly to place calls and to maintain an outbound call log.
SteveHC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: CALL LOG WHEN USING THE MAGICJACK PLUS

formeat wrote:
Insure that the MagicJack Plus is plugged into your router and your phone line is plugged into the MagicJack Plus. Then, simply plug your old MagicJack (not the MagicJack Plus) into a USB port on your computer but do NOT plug a phone line into it. The old MagicJack screen will appear and all INBOUND call functions will work, including Caller ID appearing on your computer screen when calls are received and incoming calls will be logged. However, nothing in the MagicJack screen will work for OUTBOUND functions such as placing calls through it or outbound call logging. Use use your telephone directly to place calls and to maintain an outbound call log.

- Oy vey! Makes absolutely NO sense to do as you suggest. If you're going to keep an old ("dead") MJ device plugged into a PC (via USB) while also keeping your active MJ+ device connected to your router - just so you can get an inbound-ONLY call log generated - then you might as well dump the OLD MJ and just keep the MJ+ connected directly to your PC and get everything that comes with doing so (including both inbound AND outbound call logs).
BILLY_KIDD
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:19 am    Post subject: Call Logs

goto my.magicjack.com
Account
Contacts and Call Logs
Show Call Logs
SteveHC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: Call Logs

BILLY_KIDD wrote:
goto my.magicjack.com
Account
Contacts and Call Logs
Show Call Logs

- If you use a MJ+ connected directly to your router, there will be no call log for it - not even within your online account. The way the MJ system works, in order for there to be a call log available for you to view online it first has to be created on your pc by a MJ device that's connected directly TO that pc.
tekequip
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: call log problem when using router for mj+

here is a possible workaround for the call log problem when using a router connection with mj+. if you have an android 4.2 or later cell phone you can install the MJ app, link it to you mj+ number, and it will record every incoming call into a call history log. it doesn't give duration of call but at least identifies the caller and time. it also will record all outgoing calls if the call is initiated by the cell phone. if a land line phone is hooked to the mj and calls are initiated from it the call out record will not show up in the cell phone log. usually the only info that is needed is incoming anyway so the cell phone captures all of those as long as it has a wifi or LTE connection. another plus is that your cell phone can still receive mj calls or make mj calls while away from home whereever you have wifi or LTE letting you see your call log on the go and saving calling time from your cell phone plan.
greenman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject:

Los Angeles jack wrote:
I suspect they're looking more for what you see on Skype or on most other SIP services: A place where call logs include not only the number calling in or that you called out to, but also the specific time and duration (or at least call begin and end times) for billing purposes. It's hard to run a business where billable hours include phone time if you don't have a reliable log for the exact time spent on the phone, and it's easier than writing it down manually when call logging is avaialble.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> magicJack Plus Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: