magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Caller ID issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diggeryo
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: Caller ID issue Reply with quote

I've been using MagicJack Plus for about 2.5 years without any major issue. It is plugged directly into my router.

Starting earlier this week, my caller ID doesn't seem to work. It had worked before that (by displaying the phone number). The last time I know for sure that it worked was Wednesday morning, 5/28/2014.

So I tried the same thing I've done in the past whenever a minor issue occurs--I plugged the MagicJack directly into my computer and ran the update found here (http://upgrades.magicjack.com/upgrade/magicJackSetup.exe). It made no difference this time.

Has anyone else been experiencing a similar issue?

If anyone has any other suggestion I could try, I would appreciate it.
mlv
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Caller ID issue Reply with quote

I'm seeing the exact same thing. I chatted with MJ support yesterday and they told me it was a system wide problem. They are "working double [sic] hard to fix it" I was not convinced that was true so I was checking here expecting to see lot of complaints. I'm glad someone else is having the issue but still surprised there is not a lot of complaining.
maiccrest
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: MAGICJACK+ CALLER ID Reply with quote

CALLER ID OUT SINCE THURSDAY MAY 29 2014. TOLD THIS WAS BEING WORKED ON. NO LUCK SO FAR.
newbie513
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here thought it was my device. Cant screen bill collectors lol
eyelet
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just registered to report the same problem. No CID since last Thursday.. magic jack is pluged directly into the router. My phone only displays, "incoming call" - I hope they fix this soon!
sd73
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No CID for me either since last Thursday. Two tech chats with them both telling me "they're working on it." I hope they don't get paid by the hour.

I spoke too soon. One of my MJ+'s is working and the other still not. Maybe the fix is trickling down?
dicandor
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Caller ID/Cordless Phone Reply with quote

Cordless Phone stops receiving audio after about two sec, Will answer the incoming call but stops and will not receive voice message. This started about the time Caller ID stopped working. Wired telephone work OK.

Is the problem associated with the MJ Caller ID problem?
vlad2277
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problem here. Caller ID stopped working on May 28, 2014. I have it directly plugged in to my router.
What I tried:
1. Restarted modem, router, MJ+ - It didn't help
2. Reset MJ+ - It didn't help
3. Plugged MJ+ to my computer Directly - Caller ID works on the computer screen
4. Plugged MJ+ to my computer directly and connected it to the phone. Caller ID works on the phone.
5. Plugged MJ+ back to router and Tried different phone - No Caller ID again.
6. Plugged in my friend's MJ+ to my router - Caller ID worked fine.
7. Had 3 beers - It didn't help.
8. Tried to blame my cat - My cat doesn't care.
Found this topic - It helped me to realized that I'm not alone.

I hate to see my phone rings and I have no clue who's calling. I don't really want to talk to AmEx agent trying to tell me how good their Platinum Select Card is. I want my Caller ID back. Oh, an I know that contacting MagicJack support is pretty much useless.
mi2trak
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same issue here. Started 5/28 as well. I have several MJ+ on the router. 2 phone lines and 1 fax. Interesting to note that one of the phone lines has CID and the other does not. I switched lines on the phone and the issue followed the line. To me that indicates that it is a problem with that MJ+ unit.

Like others I have had 2 chats with MJ - I feel sorry for the customer service folks as they are being fed a pat line to chat. "let our engineers work on the issue. we are doing a quality upgrade" and no date to have resolved.

I have ask for an email from both the engineers and management when chating and the chats have promised to do this, however I have received no emails.

Frustrated with the response MJ has given me. Confused
sd73
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the group of us are growing. My situations hasn't changed. One mj+ gets caller id and one doesn't. My folks who live very close by and use the same cable internet provider have one that hasn't been affected either.
maiccrest
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: CALLER ID Reply with quote

FIRST TIME ANYONE HAS SPOKEN OF A MJ+ CALLER ID WORKING. MY FRIENDS HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH THEIR CALLER ID.
Pilot
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: CALLER ID Reply with quote

maiccrest wrote:
FIRST TIME ANYONE HAS SPOKEN OF A MJ+ CALLER ID WORKING. MY FRIENDS HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH THEIR CALLER ID.

so, so, no reason to shout!!
spezeke
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: caller not working but connected to computer it does Reply with quote

Hello,
I have the magicjack plue and recently moved our home number to it and within a few days caller id quit working when pugged into router. I mesed around with ports and cables and resistors...to no avail. I screen my calls so it is a pain. But I did contact MagicJack support and they told me they were working on it also and I had asked for a time frame and they said by the end of this week. So not sure how much truth to that statement there is.
maiccrest
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: CALLER ID Reply with quote

Pilot wrote:
maiccrest wrote:

PILOT DOES NOT SEEM TO BRING ANYTHING TO THIS DISCUSSION. SO WHY REPLY?
Pilot
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: CALLER ID Reply with quote

maiccrest wrote:
Pilot wrote:
maiccrest wrote:

PILOT DOES NOT SEEM TO BRING ANYTHING TO THIS DISCUSSION. SO WHY REPLY?

It's rude to SHOUT so why do it?
AdmiralDecker
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Caller ID Wiring Issue Reply with quote

Caller ID in many phones/fax require wiring which complies to the original specs from back in the early 90's. The problem is that MJ units have the tip & ring signal (red & green) wires polarity inverted. MJ support will not tell anyone this because it's either a ridiculous oversight or done by deliberate design.

Solution: Cut the RJ11 plug off of one end (only) on the wire that attaches from the MJ to the phone/fax unit where CID is not working. Install (properly crimp attach) a new RJ11 plug on the cut end of the wire, but flipped from the original configuration. This will correct the inverted phase of the tip & ring signal wires and allow proper operation of CID on the device in question.

No CID failures have been noticed here, but my wiring has been modified for a long time since I first discovered the problem. I never seem to see these goofy issues when they pop up, but most likely because my wiring is correct and therefor my CID does not suffer from any software update issues that are used to correct the defunct MJ hardware.

--AD
maiccrest
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: CALLER ID Reply with quote

I was skeptical but I tried it anyway. Switched polarity but it did not work.
sd73
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: CALLER ID Reply with quote

maiccrest wrote:
I was skeptical but I tried it anyway. Switched polarity but it did not work.

Verified. No go.

Today is the end of the week. Where' the fix MJ promised?

I'm curious, how many of you having this problem are using the Magic Jack Plus, and purchased it fairly early on when they were released? The problem unit that I have is an early one. The other in my possession and the one at my family's were a little later releases.
maiccrest
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: CALLER ID Reply with quote

My 1st MJ+ was Dec. 2011. It died and replacement was Feb. 2013.
vlad2277
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Caller ID Wiring Issue Reply with quote

AdmiralDecker wrote:
Caller ID in many phones/fax require wiring which complies to the original specs from back in the early 90's. The problem is that MJ units have the tip & ring signal (red & green) wires polarity inverted. MJ support will not tell anyone this because it's either a ridiculous oversight or done by deliberate design.

Solution: Cut the RJ11 plug off of one end (only) on the wire that attaches from the MJ to the phone/fax unit where CID is not working. Install (properly crimp attach) a new RJ11 plug on the cut end of the wire, but flipped from the original configuration. This will correct the inverted phase of the tip & ring signal wires and allow proper operation of CID on the device in question.

No CID failures have been noticed here, but my wiring has been modified for a long time since I first discovered the problem. I never seem to see these goofy issues when they pop up, but most likely because my wiring is correct and therefor my CID does not suffer from any software update issues that are used to correct the defunct MJ hardware.

--AD

My MJ+ Caller ID was fine for 2+ years and all of a sudden it stopped working because of my MJ wires were originally polarity inverted?

Give me something else.
AdmiralDecker
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Original MagicJack CID Reply with quote

The above solution I posted was intended as a tip for "MJ" customers, not MJ+ issues. My MJ+ units collect dust on a shelf because they seem to be unreliable on a regular basis due to constant software updates.

Sorry for any confusion.
--AD
sd73
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Original MagicJack CID Reply with quote

A little excerpt from this morning's chat...

Geoff: Thank you for patiently waiting, As I have checked it here in our end..We are aware of the Caller ID issued and we are working to resolve it. In the meantime you can connect your magijack PLUS directly to the USB port of a computer in order for the Caller ID to function normally.
sd73: That is not possible where it's installed. Do you know how much longer the wait is?
Geoff: Thank you for that information...
Geoff: No worry at all, our engineers will working for this now. We don't have timeframe but I assure it will resolve as soon as possible to enhance the better service of magicjack and we give the best satisfactory service to our valued customer just like you. Thank you so much.
sd73
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Original MagicJack CID Reply with quote

Well, today my problem got worse. I had intermittently not been able to hear people after a few seconds of receiving a call. Today all the calls I got I could not only not hear who was calling, I still wasn't getting any CID action. Out going calls were okay.

Out of shear frustration I rebooted my router and forced and upgrade from this mj page:
Code:
http://service.liveperson.net/hc/s-61732089/cmd/kbresource/kb-4926178774854460176/view_question!PAGETYPE?sc=21&sf=101133&documentid=345545&action=view

to my surprise, it's all working again as it should. I had rebooted the router many times trying to troubleshoot this and I plugged my mj+ into my usb port within the last few days and it said it was upgrading, so I'm not sure why forcing it this way made a difference, but evidently it did and I'm back in business.

I've also opened some ports on my firewall according to this gentleman's instructions: http://mjcheck.low.li/2013/07/port-forwarding-for-the-magicjack-plus/ However, I did that a week ago also, so if you try this on yours, you may save this for last as it may not be necessary.
laserjobs
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Original MagicJack CID Reply with quote

sd73 wrote:

Out of shear frustration I rebooted my router and forced and upgrade from this mj page:
Code:
http://service.liveperson.net/hc/s-61732089/cmd/kbresource/kb-4926178774854460176/view_question!PAGETYPE?sc=21&sf=101133&documentid=345545&action=view

MY MJ+ WORKS AGAIN WITH CID!!! Thank you!!!!
dicandor
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Caller ID Reply with quote

Caller ID now working after downloading upgrade "Lucky You" and rebooting.
maiccrest
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: CALLER ID Reply with quote

WE WAITED PATIENTLY AND NOW CID IS BACK THIS A.M. GREAT!!!!!
socaldiva
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Spent 2 hours with chat -no-fix Reply with quote

The caller id was working, then stopped after a software update auto uploaded onto the MJ. I contacted chat had the do the usua -disconnect reconnect waste of time. I told them I wanted to go back to the previous version of the sw as all the features were working, and now they are not, and to provide the link to me. they proceeded to "fix" my account, told me the latest software "fixed" the caller id issue, and gave me exactly the updates that disable the function. When I repeated that this version was improperly coded, they told me I was wrong and the caller id works now. Obviously I am not an idiot or lying, nor would I waste my time chatting with them if I did not have a good reason to. Next after a 15 minute "transfer delay-same story with the supervisor. Nothing wrong with their new update-it makes the caller id feature work, mmmmmmm. Just dont have it on my mj. after many 10-15 minute delays, gives me the link to the initialization sw which hangs. tells me its because I have a slow connection and sends me a scam link for speed check. I check it myself, and tell him its 20/5 mbps he comes back and asks me if its kbs. After another request for one version earlier, before the may update, he puts me on hold again for 20 minutes. I am not there when he comes back and he terminates the chat. If anyone can get the prior version, let me know. It is obvious the update corrupted the function.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: