magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

can't call certain numbers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr V
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: can't call certain numbers Reply with quote

I have my MJ over a year w/o problem until last week.
My friends were unable to call me with their MJ at my home 570-333-xxxx
So by Saturday I started calling my own home and found the same problem. 3 busy signals then back to ready.. I have been thru hrs withMJ Tech chat w/o solution. I called my home phone co and reported the problem. They assured me they had enough incoming slots for my 570-851 MJ number. I did a search and found this similar problem from 1/7 http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/is-pennsylvania-broken-today-t8166.html.. however no one responded.. I had told MJ techs to just call my 570-333 number and they would see the problem but unfortunately they don't have access to magicjacks whever they are. I would give anyone my number to try via PM if they'd like to try.
I get other incoming calls and can call most of my other contacts.
Thanks Joe
JoelIrwin
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar issue - I have a central office phone number for my local Fidelity Investments branch. When I call it with MJ instead of getting a voice response giving me options, I get routed into someone's office at Fidelity. On my regular phone - it works fine. As MJ support people are useless (don't even work for MJ), there is no easy way for me to get this fixed, so I just make it a habit to call that number with my regular phone.

I am currently having a different but similar issue calling a conference room number -- works fine with my cell but not MJ (where I am told the conference room number does not exist). Its in a different post here.
Tweener
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any solution to this yet? I am able to call my cellphone successfully, but all landlines in the area only ring in my earpiece; not at the actual phoneline being called. It's very frustrating, because I do not know if the call is actually going through or not.

Example: I called my home phone. The MagicJack connected phone gives normal ringtones in my earpiece (no dead air or busy signal) - but my phones don't actually ring. I've run the same test with family members, and had my wife use it to call her doctor's office (a long distance call) during business hours in a nearby town with the same results. (A cell call to the doctor went right through just after.) I have no long distance on my landline, and bought my MagicJack just for the purpose - so it's pretty much worthless right now.
redpepper
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only share with you what I personally do and that is to use Skype as a backup provider. This gives me an alternative way to call in case the magicJack network cannot get through for whatever reason or if the call quality is not too good.

All you need is the Skyjack software plugin and a Skype account (www.skype.com) setup with a few dollars of prepaid calling credit. A little bit of prepaid calling credit on Skype usually goes a very long way. To place calls via the Skype network you will just dial an asterisk "*" before the number.

I am also able to receive free calls from anybody that uses Skype as well and that is sometimes handy.

There is more information on the Skyjack plugin in this forum here http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/skyjack-software-plugin-adds-skype-calling-t7980.html .
Tweener
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally tried the dreaded tech chat and actually came to a solution. After some question and answer and try this and that, I made him understand that my cellphone worked incoming and outgoing, but the landlines I had tried didn't. He somehow "refreshed my account" on their end and fixed the landline interface problem.
Dr V
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Update on my problem all ok today Reply with quote

After another lengthy chat session with MJ support last night, I guess I pointed them in the right direction.. I was able to give them info as to how my calls to 570-333 xxxx numbers showed unavailabe as they passed onto their phl proxy server. (used wireshark). I assume it was this problem with the PHL proxy as my other 2 friends with 570-851xxxx mj are also now able to call my landline also, and that would have been one of the common factors. It was difficult to get the MJ support people to agree that it was their network problem but once I talked about the packet traces they agreed that they would pass it on to "engineering'.
Thanks to all who commented, read my post and some who pm'd me.
Good to know help is availabe. Very Happy
Joe
Mishap64
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Update on my problem all ok today Reply with quote

Dr V wrote:
After another lengthy chat session with MJ support last night, I guess I pointed them in the right direction.. I was able to give them info as to how my calls to 570-333 xxxx numbers showed unavailabe as they passed onto their phl proxy server. (used wireshark). I assume it was this problem with the PHL proxy as my other 2 friends with 570-851xxxx mj are also now able to call my landline also, and that would have been one of the common factors. It was difficult to get the MJ support people to agree that it was their network problem but once I talked about the packet traces they agreed that they would pass it on to "engineering'.
Thanks to all who commented, read my post and some who pm'd me.
Good to know help is availabe. Very Happy
Joe

So what ended up happening? I have some numbers I cant call. MJ Chat support is a joke. I spent hours on it with a bunch of retards. They tell me to reload my OS and a few other BS comments. I am unable to call any number at Walt Disney World or any number in Canada
Dr V
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: can't call certain numbers follow up Reply with quote

After I copied some wireshark lines into the chat with MJ support that showed my phl server refusing my calls to those numbers the problem actually was fixed by the next day
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: