magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

connecting 2 or more phones to one MJ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJuser2
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: connecting 2 or more phones to one MJ Reply with quote

How do you connect 2 or more phones to one MJ?

New to forum
brian
dukeomaha
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get yourself one of these. I got mine from a 99 cent store a while back. Don't know if they still carry them.

MJuser2
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of thoes but when I connect 2 phones to it, in the same room even, I can make calls but I can't receive calls.
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your landline wired all around the house? Also, is your landline in use?
Peace
Kumar
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
MJuser2
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the rest of the house is wired but I have not connected to the house wires yet because i can't get the 2 phones on the one MJ to receive calls yet. Do I need a more powerfull Ac USB hub?
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you don't needa get a powered USB hub. Just use phones that you plug in. Works fine with abt 9 phones in my house.
Peace
Kumar
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
MJuser2
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kumar, you make it sound so simple. But perhaps you do'n't understand my problem.
for now I just have two phones in the same room,both connected to one phone splitter which is connected to the MJ. I can make calls with both phones connected, but I can't receive calls if both phones are connected. any Help please. I do not have any line from the MJ connected to a wall jack as yet. I presume that is how you have 9 phones working throught the house. need help in get incoming calls when I have 2 phones connected at the same time.
Brian
Stewart
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ringing capacity of MJ is unfortunately quite low. If your phones have a switch that controls the ringer, try turning off one at a time. If it's a really old phone with a mechanical bell, try disconnecting the bell. Otherwise, you could use a cordless system that has one base and multiple handsets, use an ATA instead of the MJ device (this option was said to be available this month), or use a ring booster.
MJuser2
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is an ATA? When I use my MJ device and 2 phones connected to one phone splitter to the MJ device all incoming calls last only 1 second.
Stewart
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An ATA is an Analog Telephone Adapter. This is the type of device supplied by VoIP providers such as Vonage, AT&T CallVantage, etc. It uses AC power and can ring several phones.

When more than one ringer is connected to MJ, too much current is drawn when it tries to ring the phones, and it falsely detects the phone as having been answered, even though a phone has not actually been picked up.

Do either of the phones that are connected to MJ have a switch to turn off the ringer? If so, try turning one off. If that doesn't help, turn it back on and try turning the other off (if both phones have switches).
curiousgeorge
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJuser2, can you give some specific info on the phones you are using(brand,type/model)digital, analog,wireless and some specs on the pc and network,the more info you provide the better the answers will be, peace out!
AlpineMan
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To connect more than 1 phone, I just purchased a set of these: http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-KX-TG1033S-Expandable-Cordless-Handsets/dp/B000LYAX1G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1204560284&sr=8-1

Choose your favorite make and model. Some offer 2, 3, 4 handsets. You basically just connect the "main" unit to MJ. The other units are wireless slave devices of the main unit.
MJuser2
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: 2 phones to one MJ Reply with quote

Below is a copy of my system info. I am using a AT&T phone that has a power supply to it and built in digital caller ID display, so I guess it is digital.
The other phone is a KX-FP115 Panasonic fax phone combo with a digital caller ID display. I guess it would be called a digital phone too.

When either phone is used one at a time, I can make and receive call through my Magic Jack; but when I connect both phones to the one MJ via a phone splitter I can make outgoing calls, but incoming calls are disconnected after 1 second.

Magic jack Tech Talk, say I need an AC powered USB HUB
CPU is a PC running an AMD Athlon XP 2500+,1084 Ghz. 1.00Gb of RAM with Windows XP and service pack 2

Does anyone have any help?
Brian
curiousgeorge

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried googling KX-FP115 and found nothing on your phone must be an older model,have you tried the resistor fix that is mentioned on this forum?.probably better of buying a phone that has one base unit that connects to your MJ and spreads the signal to multiple slave units around your house,I like the vtech 5.8 ghz model but there are more that work really well,I think I read a post or a voting post on models that work good with MJ,try searching around for it.Good luck.
Stewart
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the AT&T phone has a switch for the ringer, try turning that off.
MJuser2
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went out and bought a Uniden phone syatem that has a base unit with a phone and a slave phone for another room and now I have no problem because I am only using one line to the MJ, I am not using a phone splitter at all now.I was even able to plug my old wireless phone into a different wall jack in a 3rd room, now I have 3 phones working throught the house.
Thanks for all of your help
Brian
gooney

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJuser2 wrote:
I went out and bought a Uniden phone syatem that has a base unit with a phone and a slave phone for another room and now I have no problem because I am only using one line to the MJ, I am not using a phone splitter at all now.I was even able to plug my old wireless phone into a different wall jack in a 3rd room, now I have 3 phones working throught the house.
Brian

Nice to hear that... enjoy MJ!
curiousgeorge

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great ! Very Happy
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 phones are good enough for my house Very Happy ~4000 sq ft... 1 phone on ground, one on second...if ya needa a phone then you walk Laughing or use a cell phone

Peaceout
Kumar

magicchat.50webs.com
^^new chat
dmccoy
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Try this? Reply with quote

I'm new at the MJ too. But, I'd try this first. Go into MJ, Click on Menu, Go to "Switch to Telephone" and click on it. This will switch MJ over to the Telephone. Now, go back into MG, Clcik on Menu, Got to "Switch to Headset" and click on it. What is displayed? It will show you that USB Internet Phone By T is set for "Speaker/Earpiece", "Microphone" and for "Ringing". I would think that is why your phones, don't ring! Because the heaset if where the ringing is taking place. Of course you can modify this even with the headset and leave the "Ringing" on for the phone instead of the headset! That way your phones will ring and you can talk on them or talk on the headset! Make sense?

Don Very Happy
thirty5tech
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJuser2 wrote:
Brian

well of course it will work, you have to understand, USB is not able to provide enopughtpower to boost more then one phone,

A usb hub bwill be good, but not perfect, Getting a phone system with built in power supply will take the load of the USB and able to connect as much phone you want to MJ ,
cookieking
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Can use existing lines in home Reply with quote

If you no longer need or are using a bell company for phone service, disconnect the line from the street to your home, usually can be done at the box on your home. setup your computer near a jack, ana plug the MJ in to that jack. Now all existing jack will be live.
Farpoint
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The REM value is usually quoted on the bottom of the phone. Real Bells w/windings have a REM value of +1 or more. piezoelectric (most modern ringers) are under .025. The REMs are additive. I believe that the biggest problem to adding more phones and line length exceeds the MJ hardware (ie tigerjet) line resistance tolerance. If research was done on the Tigerjet site,
The exact line resistance and REM values could gleamed. The start of fixing this problem...
stroths

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Can use existing lines in home Reply with quote

cookieking wrote:
If you no longer need or are using a bell company for phone service, disconnect the line from the street to your home, usually can be done at the box on your home. setup your computer near a jack, ana plug the MJ in to that jack. Now all existing jack will be live.

I've been using different VOIP providers over the last 3 or 4 years and that's how I have had mine setup during that time. It works perfectly including the MagicJack.
semicharm
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Can use existing lines in home Reply with quote

cookieking wrote:

It's not really necessary to connect your MJ to the outside box, the NID as they call it. My parents have a corded phone in the room with the MJ box and PC and 2 cordless phone systems in the house. After disconnecting the outside line from the NID, I connected a standard 2-way splitter to the MJ box, then connected one cord to the phone there and another to the original phone jack in that room. Sure enough, all of the phones had a dial tone and can receive calls. Everything was working fine until my mom found another splitter to replace the one that had connected an old rotary phone. Mad The only real problem I had was that the splitter doesn't properly latch into the MJ box, so I simply used a rubber band to hold them together.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: