magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DirecTV

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> The Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
revolutiondj
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: DirecTV Reply with quote

If anyone wants to sign-up for DirecTV, let me know. If you sign-up and give my account number as a referral then we both get $100 off our bill. This comes as a $10 credit for 10 months. This is good even off of their best deals.

Thanks!
crackerjack
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: no-no Reply with quote

take this crap somewhere else
revolutiondj
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought this area of the forum was for anything.
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except for spam.
Walter_Smith
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allow me to tell you a funny story. Back a long time ago, seems like forever. I was paying $35 dollars a month for city cable. Then the cable company imposed a rate hike to $45 dollars. That is when I dropped my cable for DTV. Everything went great, and a few months went by when a woman from the local cable company came to the door and wanted $90 for my "past due" bill. I told her I canceled the service months ago. She clipped the cable anyways.

So there I was crusing with $32 a month DVT when 6 months later my bill jumps to $34. I called and the service told me it was the first rate jump in years and besides it was ONLY $2. After 9 months I began losing signal from the dish so I asked if they could realign it. They wanted a min $50 service fee. I moved it myself, turned out the neighbors tree grew up in the way so I relocated the dish.

A few months after that, I got a $55 billing in the mail. My "introductory period" had run out so I canceled and went to Dish Network they had an offer of 18 months at $30. That seemed like a real deal... too good to be true.

The tech said he was having trouble with getting a signal and setup 2 dishes in my backyard. I told him it was ok as long as it didn't cost more. He assured me it wouldn't. But I got hit with a huge bill. I pulled the second dish myself and packed it up sent it back. Told them the first dish was working just fine without the need of a two dish system.

I dropped Dish early due to far too many service outages and issues. I was made to pay a $200 early disconnect fee as well. Then I was checking out the move back to cable but now they want $70 because they want me to use TV, phone and internet.

I don't watch TV much anymore. Cable or satellite, they are all in it to rip you off. I rent DVD's and I have an HD box on my old set and now they want to kill the airwaves... it figures, I just can't win.
fujifilm99
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: DirecTV sucks and how to get out of disconnection fee. Reply with quote

Walter_Smith wrote:

I dropped Dish early due to far too many service outages and issues. I was made to pay a $200 early disconnect fee as well. Then I was checking out the move back to cable but now they want $70 because they want me to use TV, phone and internet.

They're trying to bundle you in. This time the TV commercials are right and you're probably better off better getting just the internet service and cable TV - if you want it. And then shop around for an VIOP phone service. Vonage has just started running ads for a new all you can eat US telephone plan for $15/month with no commitment or contract.
Walter_Smith wrote:

I don't watch TV much anymore. Cable or satellite, they are all in it to rip you off. I rent DVD's and I have an HD box on my old set and now they want to kill the airwaves... it figures, I just can't win.

I used BlockBuster's DVD internet/mail service for about 1.5 years.
It really worked out very well! I just canceled it when my DVD player crapoped out. Netflix has the same deal and also an option to watch DVD's on your PC also It might be a good option.
you could, drop the cale but keep the internet. Get your movies from Netflix, Phone from Vonage, and internet from the cable company.

I have DirecTV, but it's either that or Dish where I live.

I got an HD converter when they had the coupons that made it cost like $12. Nut I've never used it, because I'm too far away from any of the broadcast towers and would have to put up a huge antenna to get 2 or 3 stations (to get 3 I'd have to get a with rotor on it too). That's getting towards $250 and up just to replace rabbit ears.

I can't get the local channels from DirecTV because they say I'm too close and should be able to get it directly off of the air. However I'm not close enough to get the real local channels I'd be interested in
I could pay for generic NBC, CBS, ABC,and FOX feeds from New York, LA, or somewhere for about another $5.00 a month for each network.
I haven't seen broadcast network TV show in 10 years..

In ten years, I've gone from a pretty good package at about $25/month and one that's now about $55 for the next to cheapest plan plan - which is really the only decent one they have. The basic gets you cartoons, shopping channels, and some other crap I'm not interested it.

I'd like to dump them for dish, but their cheaper plans aren't nay better and and dish doesn't carry a couple of the channels that I watch the most.

So.. Another story!

DirecTV convinced a friend of mine to move from Dish to DirecTV by quoting him an unbelievably low price.
Well, the first bill came and it was for more than what he was told.
He called them on the phone and got them to adjust it back down.
Next month, bill was still not the price promised amd the compromised on a slightly higher price.

Next (and Last) time- It's way back up there in price again and there's no package for that price has was promise, so he's just going to have to pay it.
He says he's not going to pay for it, it's not what they promised, and they can come and take their shit back.
They told him that if he terminates service, there'd be a disconnection fee.

They were billing him on a credit card. He called the credit card company and told them that he'd lost his card and it might have been compromised. They promptly issue him a new card with a new number.
Then he said "OK, Let's see them charge my credit card now."

They couldn't charge his old credit card number, so he just went back to a cheap Dish plan. He just wants it for cartoons for his grandson, the news, and the rest of it - he watches what catches his interest, and makes do with what's on.
nitemare
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirecTV = $50/month (first year only. After that, $90/month)
Internet= Cable Time warner ($45/month)
Phone = MajicJack ($16/year)

I finally am happy with my current setup for tv/internet/and phone.
Nobody beats the Whiz!
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TV: OTA Digital TV 33 channels (kids, weather, sports, retro tv channels etc) combined with HD Homerun = FREE!

Verizon dry loop = $43.00 per month

Phone=MJ ($19.95/year), TK6000 (free), Ooma (free), Duo ($29.95/year)

BTW, I really love my HD Homerun. Soon, they're releasing a version that will accept your cable card, so it can tune your entire digital cable line-up. However, I'll stick with what I have. I'm too cheap for cable. Wink
fujifilm99
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

DirecTV = $50/month (first year only. After that, $90/month)
Internet= Cable Time warner ($45/month)
Phone = MajicJack ($16/year)

I finally am happy with my current setup for tv/internet/and phone.

DirecTV = $55/Month (Total Choice Plus)
    Internet = Mark Twain Rural Telephone Company DSL ($40.95)
    Phone(Real) = Mark Twain Rural Telephone Company (POTS) - $15/month
    Phone(Toy) = magicJack ($1.63/month)
    Blockbuster BY Mail - 3 at a time plan $15.99/month - (under consideration)

I've tried Premium Cable channels, but I feel that they don't have that much variety after the first couple of months - when you're seen all the regulars and are down to a couple of new movies a week

Around 2005. I tried out the Blockbuster, Netflix, and Walmart DVD rental by mail plans and finally ended up choosing the Blockbuster's 3 movies at a time service for about $18/month (introductory/lifetime price) and got 3-5 really new DVD movies that I'd selected in the mail every week.

I can't say exactly how (I invoke my 5th amendment rights), but I always mailed them back the next day and also watched them when I felt like it.

I eventually dropped out because my DVD played died. However in 1.5 to 2 years, then I'd run through over close to if not over - 200 DVD's. And I was starting to move on to watching the occasionally TV series for different stuff. I got a NEW DVD player last year - just never signed back up.

DirecTV at the time was about $50/month and Blockbuster about $18/month or around $68/month for TV/Video.
Now $55 and $16 (mail only plan) for $71 for TV/video.

Then, add the playboy channel for about $19.month - and we're both @ $90 for TV/video.

In my case, a contributing factor was that the the closest video store (well, a gas station) was 13 miles away. Blockbuster was about 35 miles away. The Blockbuster plan also threw in a couple of free in-store rentals and a free used movie every 2 or 3 months.

Of course, I didn't always make it in for the free movies. If I did, I always got weekly or three day rentals and mailed them back to the store myself.

P.S. I can call my play telephone with my real phone - but not the other way around.

MagicJack has blocked my Telephone Company blocked by I've had it about 2 months and except for 3 days (The Labor Day Experiment") - every since I had it. Evil or Very Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: