magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DMZ Magic Jack -- won't work with Netgear router

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
natbr
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:43 am    Post subject: DMZ Magic Jack -- won't work with Netgear router Reply with quote

If anyone has a recommendation on whether my network configuration is secure -- safe or not: here's the set up: We have an older Actiontec DSL modem that has worked fine with our Magic Jack + for a year or so. However, I had to upgrade the router behind it (that does DHCP and wireless for the home network) with a Netgear WNDR4300. No matter how I configure it (port forwarding, IP address reservation), the bloody Magic Jack keeps issuing an error 23, 3002 and says "check internet connection)... Lots of issues like this on the support forums about modern routers.

I did get it to work by putting it in a DMZ zone off of the DSL modem (ie: in front of the router); to do so I had to turn on DHCP on the DSL modem (and because there is no way for me to assign it a reserved IP address � I made the DHCP a scope of one and then had MJ+ dynamically assigned. So the DSL modem is 192.168.0.1, the Magic (not) Jack + is 192.168.0.2 and the Router is 192.168.0.5 (statically assigned in its settings and outside the scope of the modem's DHCP range. (BTW: the router's DHCP scope for the rest of the network is 192.168.0.x-xxx -- so, not within the same scope at all..)

So the question: is this config safe? I�m not too worried about anyone hacking the Magic Jack � I hate turning on DHCP on the DSL modem and DMZ� but its only issuing one IP address (for the Magic Jack �)

Anyone have any other recommendations ... Would you have any security concerns?

Thanks Mucho !

Nat
ChuckIL9
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try disabling SIP ALG on your router and see if it works that way. Select Advanced > Setup > WAN Setup and check Disable SIP ALG. SIP ALG is usually a hindrance to SIP registration on consumer routers.
max2198
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try putting the actiontec is bridge mode and let the netgear handle the connection when behind a double NAT can cause problems with some devices and applications from working correctly
SteveHC
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with max. You must keep in mind that your DSL "modem" is actually a COMBINED modem/router unit, not just a modem, and that you've got it connected to yet ANOTHER router. EACH of those two routers have their own built-in firewalls, probably preventing data from flowing properly between your MJ device and the Internet.

This kind of setup will only cause you aggravation when it comes to VOIP, and will make VOIP-related problems VERY difficult to diagnose and resolve. If you really want to use a non-PC-based VOIP service like MJ, I STRONGLY suggest that you ditch the combined modem/router unit and use only one separate modem-only unit (a modem tested/certified to be compatible with your ISP) with one separate router-only unit.

Aside from that, I also strongly recommend that you check your Ethernet cables and their connectors etc. as problems there could also cause the exact problem that you describe. And with your MJ+ connected to its a.c. power adapter and to your router via Ethernet, check your MJ+'s 4 LEDs very carefully for proper operation - the blue one should remain lit continuously, the little white one right next to the blue one should blink on & off (it may appear a little orange at times), the green one by its Ethernet jack should stay lit pretty continuously, and the amber one by its Ethernet jack should blink on & off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: