magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DO NOT USE DONGLE IF YOU DONT HAVE TO!!

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips and Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spider210
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: DO NOT USE DONGLE IF YOU DONT HAVE TO!! Reply with quote

Like the topic says if you do not currently use your dongle and use your sip info with ata or pbx DO NOT PLUG IN DONGLE

forced updates are being pushed to clients, when the update is done your client randomly generates passwords each time it is connected.

If you update your client your SIP info will NO longer work!!!

Until something is figured out DO NOT UPDATE!!!!

You have been warned!
SteveInWa
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's odd. I have been using MJ via an ATA for a couple years now, first standalone, and now through a MJMD5 proxy. Against my better judgment, I let curiosity win out, powered down my ATA and proxy, and I plugged in my MJ dongle the day after the new version of the software came out. I plugged it into a Windows 7 machine that had never had MJ installed. It did it's lucky you thing, downloaded and installed and worked with the new software. I uninstalled it, put it back in the drawer, and powered up my proxy and ATA. The ATA still works with the old password. And, BTW, I have NEVER entered a user agent string, either.

YMMV, but for me, I have NEVER had my SIP password change, despite several years of use. Just curious: maybe those continuously changing PWs you are seeing are not your actual SIP PW, but are used for something else.

Update: well, like most ATA users, I spoke too soon. On Monday, 8/30, mine stopped registering via MJMD5 proxy. IMO, since the new software changes the SIP password every time the client registers with the host, MJ use via ATA is history.

Last edited by SteveInWa on Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
genxweb
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve I wonder if you got the update I got yesterday where it still worked.

Though in spider defense

I just worked with spider for the last few hours this is what i have found.

1. proxy01 is still used in the tcpdumps
2. User name is still E######01 from the tcpdumps
3. The password changes each time you plug the magic jack in. I believe this is creating a new password on each use. There are a few sites I see it connect to that I have never seen it connect to before. The first attempt by the jack to register fails. then there is a hello packets and shortly after it seems to try to register again. The goal would to be to guess or figure out the next password that would be assigned to your jack and use that. the issue in this is any time you shutdown your proxy it will be needed again.

I strongly suggest that those that are using the service without the jacks , don't plug in any time soon. Hopefully some one out there will figure a way around this. Though I am guessing unless there is real need or motivation it will be some time.
neo2121

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its not only if you use the dongle even if you send a request to the provisioning server. I'm sure that the math will get figured out eventually. or maybe not.
genxweb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neo2121 wrote:
its not only if you use the dongle even if you send a request to the provisioning server. I'm sure that the math will get figured out eventually. or maybe not.

I just sent a request to it and nothing negative happened that I can tell my pbx is still working.
Spider210
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dunno why i got screwed with this crap
crackerjack
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: DO NOT USE DONGLE IF YOU DONT HAVE TO!! Reply with quote

Spider210 wrote:

You have been warned!

I know you made this quote with the best of intentions and I honestly believe you are having an issue. Please refrain from engendering FUD to the general public based on your unique situation that has not been reported by any other reliable witness. There is enough speculation and harum-scarum being disseminated along with verifiable, repeatable changes. We would rather have time and resources applied to the verifiable issues.
Chalk up your issue to sunspots, bad ram or a wonky power supply but please stop crying wolf based on your singular experience.

Last edited by crackerjack on Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
neo2121

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant obtaining your SIP info with out doing a dump or using the dongle.
genxweb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just as confused as the next person on this crazy hipe spreading. After working with spider210. I retrieved and tested 4 other jacks tonight with no problems.
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the same boat as spider. I have two MJ's one that's been updated and one that's not. The one that's been updated gets a different password with every dump I do now. The one that's not updated continues to work with it's present sip credentials and mjmd5.
Spider210
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: DO NOT USE DONGLE IF YOU DONT HAVE TO!! Reply with quote

crackerjack wrote:

I know you made this quote with the best of intentions and I honestly believe you are having an issue. Please refrain from engendering FUD to the general public based on your unique situation that has not been reported by any other reliable witness. There is enough speculation and harum-scarum being disseminated along with verifiable, repeatable changes. We would rather have time and resources applied to the verifiable issues.
Chalk up your issue to sunspots, bad ram or a wonky power supply but please stop crying wolf based on your singular
experience.

Thanks but no thanks to your input. This has been verified and well if you and others have not received this update its only going to be a matter of time before everyone gets pushed this update. This is also on old hardware too, original mj. So just because you have yet to experience it doesn't mean this is a solitary case. So next time, we hope your input will be more helpful.
arcadia2uk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you Spider, but definitely not with your wording..., it is a real issue. Let's just hope that it doesn't affect everyone. I still have one of my MJ numbers that can run w/o MJMD5:), but on another I received the latest update and can no longer use it with MJMD5, luckily I have a few spares.
arc
SharpShot
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completely unable to get ahold of my SIP info. Used all available programs/methods, a different password is returned each time and all don't seem to work with X-lite (401 unauthorized). Just renewed a few days ago and received an update on my MJ (8/15/2010).
Spider210
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SharpShot wrote:
Completely unable to get ahold of my SIP info. Used all available programs/methods, a different password is returned each time and all don't seem to work with X-lite (401 unauthorized). Just renewed a few days ago and received an update on my MJ (8/15/2010).

Another victim...
mesamagic
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just found out that, after the unwelcome " lucky you " updated to my dongle this week which made my PAP2T unregistered, and my MJ has changed it's password every time I plugged it in for 2 days, today I use my old password again ( i.e the password I used before the Aug update ) and my PAP2T works as if nothing's ever happened.

The weird thing is, my dongle is now can not register, it keeps saying " waiting for configure..." and stuck there.

Try it for yourself, and if it works for you, consider " Lucky You " this time.

YMMV

Danny
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mesamagic wrote:
I've just found out that, after the unwelcome " lucky you " updated to my dongle this week which made my PAP2T unregistered, and my MJ has changed it's password every time I plugged it in for 2 days, today I use my old password again ( i.e the password I used before the Aug update ) and my PAP2T works as if nothing's ever happened.

The weird thing is, my dongle is now can not register, it keeps saying " waiting for configure..." and stuck there.

YMMV

Danny
Same here my MJ just registered with my old password. I plugged my MJ into my old laptop and it would not update all zero's where the phone number shows on the softphone. I clicked on the error message and filled in the registration form and received a message about a confirmation email within an hour. Lucky me for sure my MJ's going in the drawer and stayin there until the next ice age.
crackerjack
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sabresfan wrote:
mesamagic wrote:

YMMV

Danny
Same here my MJ just registered with my old password. I plugged my MJ into my old laptop and it would not update all zero's where the phone number shows on the softphone. I clicked on the error message and filled in the registration form and received a message about a confirmation email within an hour. Lucky me for sure my MJ's going in the drawer and stayin there until the next ice age.

Did you do a manual search of your post-upgrade dumps to see if your original password was still in the file?
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crackerjack wrote:
sabresfan wrote:
mesamagic wrote:

YMMV

Danny

Did you do a manual search of your post-upgrade dumps to see if your original password was still in the file?
Yes I searched with notepad++ with my password and looked in about 20 different dumps and it never showed up. I'm not sure of the requirements MJ needs now to register with their servers when using the dongle. My old laptop is bare bones with only 128mb of ram with xp sp2. It most likely doesn't have the tools to run the new process that MJ creates to use the dongle now. This laptop originally had windows 2000 on it so who knows.
mesamagic
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I deleted the all the dumps this morning so I can't search if my old working password was still there, didn't think about it ...

I used Sipdump 1.6 and MagicSipac methods to find the new password, none of them work, even the dongle itself - after the Aug update - now can not register when plugged in my computer, but it's old password still works with my PA2T. The second dongle which has not updated for months is still working fine.
neo2121

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep it still shows up but it will not work. 5 out of 20 of my magicjacks are affected using the software that I pmed you about. The oldest version hardware that i have is 1.1 even when i dump the ones that are having the problem I will never get the same password twice. Not sure whats up but there is something up
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I notice now is my MJ will not register right away like it did in the past. I have to manually stop and restart MJMD5 for it to register now. I receive registration error 410 gone the first time I try to get it to register with xlite.
arcadia2uk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this can help, it reverts your softphone back to it's old state.
gashliquor wrote:
...upgrade.exe which in turn gave him the older softphone back b4 the upgrade....
Code:
http://www.mediafire.com/?i5py41bk1bgwxng
SharpShot
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arcadia2uk wrote:
Maybe this can help, it reverts your softphone back to it's old state.

Reverted, still couldn't get SIP info (tried 7 times)
Scuba
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed that each time it does reconnect the username goes up by a number like EXXXXXXXXXX01,EXXXXXXXXXX02,EXXXXXXXXXX03 .So on X-Lite I will get error 404 not found unless I use the correct suffix on the username like 03 at the end...once thats right you will get the 401 unauthorized but im sure thats because you are reconnecting to the proxy again and it changes the password Sad My pap2 was fine a couple of days ago but I unhooked it for a minute and when I hooked it back up It didnt go back online...so it seems it changes password wether the magicjack is hooked up or not.
Spider210
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as soon as i have tried that update.exe is upgrades me (downgrades) and then it reboots to the OLD version then jack and says "lucky you" and it downloads the new version again and rebots to the new one....
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJ's have no choice now but to update when you plug in the dongle now. I have blocked the proxies that MJ used to upgrade us and my MJ will not connect unless it receives the update. MJ may have found a way now to keep people from getting their password now and from blocking updates to the dongle.
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crackerjack wrote:
sabresfan wrote:
mesamagic wrote:

YMMV

Danny

I did and it's not!
tvland
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my MJ on asterisk. It stopped registering about 2 days ago. I never plugged in the dongle. After a debug, I noticed the user agent was the pbx one and not the specified one. That probably doesn't matter. I tried other prxies and never get registered.
Spider210
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya i contacted them they told me no way to go back in softwre now. Its shitty.
blueadept
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I may be screwed.

Both of my MJs unregistered in my Pap2 today.

Neither of my MJs have been plugged into a computer in well over a year.

I guess I will have to plug it in and hope for the best.
Spider210
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blueadept wrote:
I guess I may be screwed.

Both of my MJs unregistered in my Pap2 today.

Neither of my MJs have been plugged into a computer in well over a year.

I guess I will have to plug it in and hope for the best.

might as well hold off until someone figures out something
blueadept
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plugged one in and can verify that the PW does change each time.

In fact, you do not have to unplug the dongle, it changes each time the program is closed and restarted.

Oh well time to break out the old thin client at least until something is figured out.
cucu007
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problem here, the password appears to change every-time the program is restarted, it seems magicjack has a new algorithm in place and the developer of mjmd5 needs to modify his/her to get it working again for us. I am not sure why magicjack makes changes like this, after all we are paying for the device/service, I i hate to leave my computer on all the time. Its just stupid.
steroids
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blueadept wrote:
In fact, you do not have to unplug the dongle, it changes each time the program is closed and restarted.

It changes on every request to the provisioning server.

If you watch the network traffic (or dump the process), you'll see a connection to something like:

Code:
https://prov1.talk4free.com/softphone/provision/?dbkey=

Paste that into your browser. The returned results are your SIP credentials. (The data is actually encrypted.) Every time you refresh, you're given a new SIP Password...

Three things actually change:
Code:
SIPProxyURI
ProxyUserPassword
SIPModeProxy

It's also interesting that the second value for the SIPModeProxy is always 0x81.

Anyone know what the SIPModeProxy is for?
Moe_Ale
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sabresfan wrote:
I'm in the same boat as spider. I have two MJ's one that's been updated and one that's not. The one that's been updated gets a different password with every dump I do now. The one that's not updated continues to work with it's present sip credentials and mjmd5.

Mine was working just fine until I woke up yesterday morning when I tried to call somebody and would not dial out. I never plugged in my dongle or anything. It just stopped working suddenly.
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe_Ale wrote:
sabresfan wrote:

Mine was working just fine until I woke up yesterday morning when I tried to call somebody and would not dial out. I never plugged in my dongle or anything. It just stopped working suddenly.
Until a fix is found for this I would recommend trying whistlephone http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/another-free-calling-option-using-a-softphone-or-ata-t9253.html It's not as good as MJ with an ata but at least it's free. Try forwarding your MJ number to a whistlephone number and this might be a temporary fix until a patch for this problem is found.
maa
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine has stopped working two days ago when we lost power.
cucu007
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope the mjmd5 algorithm get fix soon, I am sure the developer and add a patch to this nightmare, why is Magicjack upgrading the software anyways it remains shitty to use a dongle.
dtm
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it sounds to me like Dan is preparing for the big chill. They have fixed the dongle software so the password is hidden. I figure that very soon all the passwords are going to be changed and all the ATAs will go dark again.

I think this war on ATAs is a mistake by MJ. There are already enough good cheap sip services out there to render the dongles obsolete. MJ would be better served to cultivate ATA users and offer them a legitimate way to BYOB.

JMO
arcadia2uk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sabresfan wrote:
Moe_Ale wrote:
sabresfan wrote:

Until a fix is found for this I would recommend trying whistlephone http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/another-free-calling-option-using-a-softphone-or-ata-t9253.html It's not as good as MJ with an ata but at least it's free. Try forwarding your MJ number to a whistlephone number and this might be a temporary fix until a patch for this problem is found.

Why bother... Just go with the dongle for a while. Hopefully someone among these bright users will figure out the new way to get the credentials right (or so I hope) I trust the brains on this site. How long did we wait for the MJMD5, if I remember it right, about a month.
I'm not one of them, but I trust in you:)
arc

Last edited by arcadia2uk on Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
McKite
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:28 am    Post subject: Same Problem here Reply with quote

My 4 MJ (Used on a wrt54TM with DD-WRT and running MJMD5-Proxy) did stop working a couple of days ago. I did not yet plug them in to make the update. They have never been in the the USB during the last 6 months..
I have a Nettalk TK6000 that i forward the incoming calls to. The outgoing calls I do via the TK6000. Sad
This is just a quick work around, but nothing useful for a longer time.

Are there any news on this issue? Did anybody find a solution for the MJMD5?
PM's or a post would be greatly appreciated!
Thx

Chris
VoipDude

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJ is still working with my PAP2. Smile I have not plugged the dongle in for more than a year. May just be a matter of time before it fails. Sad
galcv2
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ata stopped working today! it has been working great since early 2010...
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

galcv2 wrote:
My ata stopped working today! it has been working great since early 2010...

LUCKY YOU............ Sorry I could not resist

Sucks for sure...

Joe Sica
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dtm
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suddenly have this mental image of Clint Eastwood about to plug in his MagicJack.

"In all the excitement, I can't remember whether they changed my password 5... or 6 times. Hey punk, do you feel lucky today?"
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am afraid this new change is gonna be next to impossible to work around. Oh well have to use the thin clients again.
Spider210
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VoipDude wrote:
MJ is still working with my PAP2. Smile I have not plugged the dongle in for more than a year. May just be a matter of time before it fails. Sad

What's your mi number ill report to customer service its having problems connecting :-p
kurtrad
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:02 am    Post subject: I had 3 working SIP credentials on Wed but... Reply with quote

All three of my MJ SIP credentials stopped working on 2 Sept on my PAP2 hardware. I had not plugged in a dongle for a little over 1 year up until today.

I retrieved the SIP password from all 3 MJs again after plugging them in and using a utility named SIPDump.exe that I had downloaded back when I first started going dongleless with my PAP2 boxes a little over a year ago.

One dongle required I use the MJPROXY back then and so I updated the password on the mjproxy command line and I got that number working again on my PAP2 hardware with the new PW.

The other two SIP passwords seem to come back the same with each reinsertion of the dongle and SIPDump. However these SIP IDs and passwords do not work whether I use MJPROXY or not.

What a drag... I am back to this BS game from the MJ idiots!
stav

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both my MJs dd-wrt/MJPROXY//ATA stopped working today, after a year of faithful service. Anyone has same problem this morning? Let's hope thats a server issue and not something else that would need more work on to be fixed. I already spent hundreds of hours working on these MJs.
oldtimercurt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely its the latest update and not a server issue.
I'm just holding on to see how long my TC/ATA setup will continue.
OTC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips and Tricks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: