magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does anyone know who to use MagicJack with Zfone software?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
macman4hire
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Does anyone know who to use MagicJack with Zfone software? Reply with quote

Does anyone know how to use MagicJack with the Zphone software? The following was taken from Zfone Project website:ZfoneTM is a new secure VoIP phone software product which lets you make encrypted phone calls over the Internet. Its principal designer is Phil Zimmermann, the creator of PGP, the most widely used email encryption software in the world. Zfone uses a new protocol called ZRTP, which has a better architecture than the other approaches to secure VoIP. I would like to configure this run on my Mac if possible but am not resistant to using on the Window either. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by macman4hire on Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
laserjobs
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you go through the trouble you should know it will only work between MJ to MJ calls, not MJ to POTS.
macman4hire

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

laserjobs thanks for your reply and you are absolutely correct about the encryption working for MJ voip to MJ voip calls. After doing more research about this software it appears to me that the Zfone is self configuring when using the MJ. If any is interested amd has Zfone already installed on their system or is willing to install it, I would like run a test using the Zfone software for a MJ to MJ call. Please send me a personal message with your MJ telephone number and good time to place a call to run a test. Please be assured I will not disclose your MJ phone to anyone. I hope to hear from someone soon.
macman4hire

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

Today myself and another forum member who I will not mention because I forget to ask his permission, tested the latest Zfone version. I was using the mac version and he was using the windows version. The application did not require any user configuration on either platforms. I answered the call and Zfone encrypted and secured the call.
Kif Kroker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macman4hire wrote:
Update:

Today myself and another forum member who I will not mention because I forget to ask his permission, tested the latest Zfone version. I was using the mac version and he was using the windows version. The application did not require any user configuration on either platforms. I answered the call and Zfone encrypted and secured the call.

Its OK to mention it was me. Smile

Yes, Zfone seemed to work just fine with the MJ softphone. The only issue that appeared at all was that I had a slightly older version of Zfone than macman4hire had and it would not secure the call until I updated mine to the most recent version. No configuration was necessary, looks like Phil Zimmerman may have created another great encryption program.

macman4hire pointed me (thanks) to youtube where there is a 7 part video of him describing this new encryption software at an Asterisk conference, I recommend anyone who is interested in it check out and the zfoneproject.com site. If anyone else installs it and wants to test it out PM me, or macman4hire, and one of us would probably be willing to help.

Thanks macman4hire, being able to encrypt VoIP significantly reduces the risk of any eavesdropping along the route.
testing123
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kif Kroker wrote:
macman4hire wrote:
Update:

Its OK to mention it was me. Smile

Yes, Zfone seemed to work just fine with the MJ softphone. The only issue that appeared at all was that I had a slightly older version of Zfone than macman4hire had and it would not secure the call until I updated mine to the most recent version. No configuration was necessary, looks like Phil Zimmerman may have created another great encryption program.

macman4hire pointed me (thanks) to youtube where there is a 7 part video of him describing this new encryption software at an Asterisk conference, I recommend anyone who is interested in it check out and the zfoneproject.com site. If anyone else installs it and wants to test it out PM me, or macman4hire, and one of us would probably be willing to help.

Thanks macman4hire, being able to encrypt VoIP significantly reduces the risk of any eavesdropping along the route.

One of my fav topics. How was the call quality? Clear? Any stuttering? Do you both have QOS at your router?
macman4hire

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

testing123 wrote:

One of my fav topics. How was the call quality? Clear? Any stuttering? Do you both have QOS at your router?

The call quality was very good without any stuttering. I did not notice any discernible differences between a regular Magic Jack call and the Zfone encrypted call. I am not using a router a this time with my setup. So far I am happy with Zfone and would recommend that you try it. I would be happy to help you test Zfone. Just send me a PM or PM Kif Kroker who stated in his above that he is willing to help forum users test Zfone.

PS:I would like to thank Kif Kroker for affording me the opportunity to Zfone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: