magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does MagicJack offer "message waiting"?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevehauser
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Does MagicJack offer "message waiting"? Reply with quote

On my old VOIP service when I had a voicemail message a little light would flash on my phone and when I picked up the phone I would get a stuttering dialtone - I think that is call "message waiting".... how can I get that with MJ?
lenagainster
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Does MagicJack offer "message waiting"? Reply with quote

stevehauser wrote:
On my old VOIP service when I had a voicemail message a little light would flash on my phone and when I picked up the phone I would get a stuttering dialtone - I think that is call "message waiting".... how can I get that with MJ?

If they ever did offer it, it doesn't work. Even the voicemail indicator on the computer screen doesn't work. When voicemail IS working, you get an email with a voice clip in it, or you can access vm by dialing your own number.
QuiGonJohn
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad I found this thread. I was going to ask how are you supposed to know if you have a Voice Mail waiting?

My brother-in-law said the VMAIL is supposed to show with green letters, but I don't see that.

Too bad they can't get that working, the red/green 911 indicator seems to work.
SpamBox
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJ does have it and it does work. You get the stuttering tone and message light on phone.
I have the Panasonic DECT 6.0 phone system and it works pretty much just fine.
The only problem is they don't send the "message clear" signal to the phone so you have to manually clear it (it used to work but the past couple of weeks it hasn't)
stevehauser
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in my area (NJ - area code 732) there is no light, no stuttering dial tone and not even the VMAIL light on the softphone works... any body else???? I have a 5 phone system - one base and 4 cordless phones that work off that base - Uniden - 5.8GHz...
QuiGonJohn
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No VMAIL indication at all here in So. Fla. The only way to know is to call and check. Kinda sucks. Wish they'd get it working properly. Don't understand how they can have the 911 light working, but not VMAIL.
stevehauser
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I don't understand how it works in some places and not others!
pitchie
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Similarly stumped here Reply with quote

The one thing they don't tell you is that for 20 bucks a year you get instructions and customer service that you'd expect for that price--virtually none. It's as if nobody's at the helm and we're supposed to figure all this out ourselves. I too get no stuttering dial tone, no light next to the VMail button on my softphone (not to mention NO indication on their site that I might or might not have any of this), which means I have to probably go back to using my answering machine, which means I'm one step closer to making my exisitng landline that much more useless, and just accepting that another feature I was looking forward to just doesn't work, the first one being Caller ID (I'm on Mac, and the softphone doesn't even have a phonebook). I have to decide if the amazingly low price is worth giving up Vonage for, which sounds great, works great, and even emails me when I have a voice message.

R
pitchie
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: And no toll saver? And it doesn't always connect to VM? Reply with quote

If I'm not at home I can't call from another line and know after the second ring if there were any messages?? Also, sometimes an incoming call doesn't even go to voicemail. And just think, if I go away for a week, I have to keep my computer on THE WHOLE TIME. I've only been using this for two days and already have come a number of issues. Clearly, this service is buggy at best. I bet almost every user has his/her own set of issues. Regardless, I may still stick it out, do away with Vonage, and I could use this mostly for outgoing calls. That'll increase the cell phone minutes, but in this day and age, or maybe this is an urban thing, people tend to ignore your home number, the mentality probably being that when they call your cell they're reaching YOU, because they're assuming you're always near your mobile phone. It sucks, because cell phone quality (sound and reliability) still isn't as good as landline. But at least Verizon's Caller ID works, as does voicemail (any Mac users try the Callwave widget for texts or voicemail? GREAT!). MagicJack proves that you get what you pay for, but even if it's not all it's cracked up to be, I can still use my old answering machine, and wait it out until they get Caller ID happening on the Mac. Thanks for letting me rant.
curiousgeorge
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pitchie,I agree but I will warn you about cancelling vonage it is a nightmare, do a google search on this topic and get ready for a cancelation fee,good luck with your MJ.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: