magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

don't ear the other party after he answer phone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
guycel
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: don't ear the other party after he answer phone Reply with quote

I use Magic + connected to my router. The problem: when I call someone, I hear the phone is ringing. But when that person picks up the phone I don't hear her when she says HELLO. It will take a few seconds. I will say are you there? I will then ear her say yes.
Then conversation is perfect. Twice the live support made do a few things... like disconnect your MJ+ for 20 or 30 sec. But the problem is still there.
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all likelihood, there is nothing wrong. MJ carries telephone conversations over the public internet, and must cope with its characteristics, which are beyond MJ's control.

It is the very nature of the public internet that each party deposits packets of data at one end of a "conversation" and hopes that they come out the other end. Because of this, MJ, like many other VoIP operators, uses the SIP protocol to carry voice across the internet. SIP works intelligently to maximize the chances of a successful conversation. Much of SIP's success in managing calls is in the separation of call control packets from conversational packets. The big difference between these two types of packets is that conversational packets must be reassembled in order at the destination in order to be intelligible by the listener. Call control packets do not require such care, so they can be handled without delay at the receiving end.

At the beginning of a conversation the ringing you hear is very likely not coming from the other person's telephone. It is most likely being presented to you by your MJ upon control channel information being provided by the called party's telephone network.

Voice paths are data hogs compared to control channel paths. Most modern telephone systems, including POTS, cellular and VoIP, manage the progress of telephone calls on a data channel and only create a voice path between the parties if it becomes necessary. They have discovered that many, many calls never result in a conversation taking place, or at least not between the two intended endpoints. Every time you hear a busy signal or the phone rings without being answered is a situation where a voice path need not be constructed. Every time the call gets forwarded by the called party, like to his or her voice mail, is a situation where a voice path is unnecessary between the caller and the intended destination. So, instead of letting you hear the actual ringback tone or busy signal, the destination phone company sends an informational Call Progress packet back to your phone company and your phone company puts the tone in your ear.

The voice channel is only set up and put into service after the called party actually answers the phone. In many cases the two parties cannot discern this delay. But in many cases, like yours (and often mine), the delay is palpable.

This is just the price we must pay for extremely inexpensive telephone service. People who cannot tolerate this choose to pay $20 or $30 per month and 5 cents per domestic minute for their telephone service instead of the $1.67 per month and zero cents per domestic minute that MJ charges (notwithstanding their CLEC termination extortion). For me, I have been happily doing this dance at the beginning of the telephone conversation for more than a decade, and my wallet is all the happier for it.
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This is just the price we must pay for extremely inexpensive telephone service. People who cannot tolerate this choose to pay $20 or $30 per month and 5 cents per domestic minute for their telephone service instead of the $1.67 per month and zero cents per domestic minute that MJ charges (notwithstanding their CLEC termination extortion). For me, I have been happily doing this dance at the beginning of the telephone conversation for more than a decade, and my wallet is all the happier for it.

Interestingly, I encountered this type of problems far more often with MJ than with other SIP providers or GV.
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also observe it more with MJ than with the mainstream VoIP providers. It all depends upon the topology of MJ's network, which we can only surmise.

My guess is that, in MJ's efforts to reduce operational cost, they have their whole network, including all of its redundancy, in one location in the West Palm Beach area of Florida. This is indicated by longer operational latencies, like the one to set up a voice path, the farther your Area Code is from Florida. It is also evidenced by the fact that everyone in the whole network is stuck with Caller ID and voice mail time stamps in the Eastern Standard Time zone.

Another contributing factor could be that MJ's SIP server farm is underpowered. Setting up and tearing down calls is the operational phase that demands the most work from a SIP server. It could be that voice path setup requests take a few extra seconds to work through during peak times. And, since the SIP server is underpowered it takes a smaller peak for this backlog to become noticeable.

I don't have GV (I won't sell my personal information soul to that devil.), so I can't comment directly. I would, however, posit that Google has allocated enough money to the GV project to build a suitably robust service, which can better keep up with demand than can MJ's.
Road_Runner99
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on a tip I found in this forum, I found the SIP option in my router was selected (found in advanced - firewall section of my D-Link router). This relates directly to VOIP applications. I removed the check mark and rebooted the router and the time delay disappeared. My MJ+ 2014 is now behaving like a regular phone. This is definitely worth a try.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: