magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Downtime, etc.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> The Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Downtime, etc. Reply with quote

Folks,

As most of you are probably painfully aware, we've been having some serious problems with the forum lately. Often time the site is non-responsive, other times you get directed to the makeforum.org site.

This forum is hosted free courtesy of makeforum.org. We are only one of 142,738 forums they host. Of course, alexa.com seems to indicate that 18% of all traffic to the forum2u.org domain is this forum. So, we do chew up considerably more resources than any other forum they host.

We are looking to upgrade the forum, but even this will take some time. We need to determine the proper hosting package, lock down this forum, migrate over to the new server, etc, etc, etc.

I'm also guessing that their fire a few weeks back is not helping things either.
makeforum.org wrote:
Dear Valued Customers:

This evening at 4:55 in our H1 data center, electrical gear shorted, creating an explosion and fire that knocked down three walls surrounding our electrical equipment room Thankfully, no one was injured. In addition, no customer servers were damaged or lost.

We have just been allowed into the building to physically inspect the damage. Early indications are that the short was in a high-volume wire conduit. We were not allowed to activate our backup generator plan based on instructions from the fire department.

This is a significant outage, impacting approximately 9,000 servers and 7,500 customers. All members of our support team are in, and all vendors who supply us with data center equipment are on site. Our initial assessment, although early, points to being able to have some service restored by mid-afternoon on Sunday. Rest assured we are working around the clock.

We are in the process of communicating with all affected customers. we are planning to post updates every hour via our forum and in our customer portal. Our interactive voice response system is updating customers as well.

There is no impact in any of our other five data centers.

I am sorry that this accident has occurred and apologize for the impact.

So, yes, we know there is a problem, and we are doing everything in our power to fix it.
strndedinalska
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That explains a lot of what's going on around here. I was beginning to wonder if they weren't trying to get the forum into a moneymaking slot, but it sounds as though they're having other issues as well.
AlaninKY

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This site is too slow right now. Hopefully our site will start working much better soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
HendersonMike

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of other forums I frequent were affected by the result of that same fire, but they have been back and going strong for quite sometime.
Guess it's just a who's where in the order that things get fixed.
booyah5

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluehost seems to have a good rep.. Unlimited bandwidth/space for less than $7/month if prepaid annually (I can kick in some $ too). They have a ton of features - including shell access. My boyfriend and I just bought service with them for our business site, but haven't yet used it fully.

Clicking that link above to them will give referral points to the phpbb project.
JohnnyFreightTRAIN

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, 18% at alexa.com! We're at the top of the list.
They only list the first 38 forums, and then all the rest of the forums they host (all of them put together) take up 24%...
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:42 am    Post subject: A Thank You to the Admin Reply with quote

I just wanted to say thanks for your efforts in getting the board running great !!!!!! It is a pleasure to use.

THANKS
booyah5

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah what happened? The forum seems to be running smooth now.
HendersonMike

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see it is running better the past 2 days with only a few hiccups.
HendersonMike

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see it is running better the past 2 days with only a few hiccups. I was going to delete this xtra post (not my fault - I know I did not dbl click) but I don't see no delete button. I do see a "x" on my last post below this but none on this one or the above one .... hmmmmmmmm. Guess I'll have to wait till someone wakes up and does it for me. That's a shame.
Now I see that that X is gone from the other post... Board must be set-up to have a timer on when a poster can delete their post(s)

Last edited by HendersonMike on Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:46 pm; edited 3 times in total
msiam

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as you think your hick ups are gone Hendersonmike, there's your hickup.. Laughing
HendersonMike

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing I see that dbl post [hiccup].... A couple times yesterday, it took awhile to load, but all in all, it's improved.
AlaninKY

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see the Forum is working great now. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: