magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dry DSL Line

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jp28md
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Dry DSL Line Reply with quote

I Have just a Dry DSL line @ 786 w/ Verizon. I still have the incoming line running through my whole house DSL filter to my Westell Versalink modem. Should I disconnect the DSL filter? I'm having some echo problems w/ one number that I call and some choppy calls with others. When my service changed to DSL only I took of the DSL filter but could not get to the internet.
ka3uww
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Dry DSL Line Reply with quote

jp28md wrote:
I Have just a Dry DSL line @ 786 w/ Verizon. I still have the incoming line running through my whole house DSL filter to my Westell Versalink modem. Should I disconnect the DSL filter? I'm having some echo problems w/ one number that I call and some choppy calls with others. When my service changed to DSL only I took of the DSL filter but could not get to the internet.

I you got a dry pair from Verizon, feel lucky! But, to give you the info you want/need is make sure that your hard line goes ONLY to your modem and DO NOT place a filter on the line! If I read this right you are LUCKY to even be getting a ADSL connection to Verizon! The filter is designed to BLOCK the loop of the DSL connection so the rest of your phone system does not present a large load to your modem. Without the filter other phones on the circuit would load the modem and burn it out... If you have a phone(s) connected to the line, even though it is a dry pair, you still must use a filter to unload these from the modem. Best bet is disconnect ANY phones on the line unless the DLS line is completely isolated from the phones! As in CUT THE LINE to the other phone(s)!!!

Hope this helps you...
testing123
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to check this thread and this site.

Hope it helps.
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahem, the filter does not do anything to protect the modem from the telephones. There is nothing to protect. The filter is nothing more than a bandpass filter. It is very similar to a crossover filter you might be using in your stereo system, which sends high frequency sounds to your tweeter and low frequency sounds to your woofer.

The DSL filter sends low frequencies (0-5000Hz) to your telephone and high frequencies (7000Hz and up) to the DSL modem. Most DSL modems have the high-pass half of the filter built right in. Most phones, though, do not have the low-pass half of the filter built into them.

So, if you have a telephone connected directly to the line without a low-pass filter in between, two things can happen. First, your phone may be able to hear some of the DSL signal and present it to your ear, disturbing your conversation. Second, your conversation may hit a peculiar harmonic that gets transmitted into the phone line and momentarily disturbs DSL communications, causing the DSL modem to send (or receive) a corrupted packet.

You don't have to take my word for it. Just get out your tone generator and oscilloscope and check it out for yourself.

None of this can cause any physical damage to any piece of equipment anywhere in the system.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: