magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

faxing over IP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jurek
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: faxing over IP Reply with quote

I have a netbook which does not have a modem port (rj-11).
MagicJack is capable of sending a phone conversation over Internet
(VoIP). Is MagicJack capable (or could it be made capable) of sending
a fax conversation (fax-over-IP) over Internet to a fax number?
Does something like fax-over-IP exist anyway?
Thanks.
Jurek
[email protected]
Kif Kroker
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mJ does not have any FAX specific functionality. Some have reported some success in FAXing over the mJ but they usually have to drop the data rate and some FAX machines and FAX modems seem to work better than others. But with any VoIP FAX is very hit and miss. And mJ can't do it at all without a FAX modem or FAX machine.

For myself I don't send a lot of FAXes but when I need to I have used http://www.gotfreefax.com/ on a few occasions. I also have a free inbound FAX number through eFax that sends any FAXes to my email. The free # isn't local to my area but that is of no issue for how I use it.

Dave
Matt9876
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone should make a list of what works, My HP all in one deskjet printer works ok for faxing with the MJ+.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt9876 wrote:
Someone should make a list of what works, My HP all in one deskjet printer works ok for faxing with the MJ+.

It may not be the hardware but the ISP a fellow MJ user is using which makes or breaks faxing...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Matt9876
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitstopjoe wrote:

It may not be the hardware but the ISP a fellow MJ user is using which makes or breaks faxing...

I have to agree with you about the ISP, My MJ+ has been almost perfect since the upgrade and setting it to air card mode.

I only run it in stand alone mode, You can set the clock by unplugging it at midnight for 5 seconds, this will fix the clock and not the date.
Agent_86
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Fax Reply with quote

Reviving an old post

I'm not sure exactly what my results would be faxing on MJ

However, I am currently using this for an alternative since I only need a fax on a very very limited basis

http://www.gotfreefax.com/

You can send pdf cover etc. limited to only a few pages

There may be other free services out there for this purpose as well.

Hope this helps
kleeb
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the differences between voice and fax:

* Frequencies most used
    * Whether real-time transfer is necessary
    * Whether packets can be out of order or dropped

This is why many (most?) kinds of VoIP telephone equipment recognize a fax call and switch their protocols to optimize for it. Depending on the hardware in that little silver or black box and the software that they occasionally update, mJ can do that, too. Since they don't say much about fax, either they don't have that optimization or, if they do, they aren't interested in standing behind it. I don't blame them for that. The creators of the Internet didn't have VoIP in mind, let alone fax over it, so fax may never be reliable until Internet 2.0.

VoxOx lets you send a pdf document and receive a fax for viewing online and print. Sipgate lets you send a document file too; I dunno about receiving.
edknn
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an old sharp fax. It works great and no changes were needed.
TransferCutter
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kif Kroker wrote:

For myself I don't send a lot of FAXes but when I need to I have used http://www.gotfreefax.com/ on a few occasions. I also have a free inbound FAX number through eFax that sends any FAXes to my email. The free # isn't local to my area but that is of no issue for how I use it.

Dave

I have searched eFax.com and cannot find any way to signup for their free fax service even though they mention it.

Can you tell me how to sign up for it?

thanks
Leigh58
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sfax is another internet fax service that is very reasonable - it costs from just $24 a year and is completely secure. It even allows you to digitally sign documents:

http://www.sfaxme.com
Matt9876
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Sharing a letter about faxing. Reply with quote

To: Matt9876
Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:30 pm
Subject: Re: MJ+ & HP6500 for faxing

Thanks for the information. i was able to send & receive faxes with a similar setup. The only thing different was i left the speed on mj+ at normal as opposed to 3g. i couldn't get the fax to send in '3g' mode. i had both wireless and hardwire setup on my printer. The 'hardwire' driver was the one that worked for me. My laptop was wireless (ATT Uverse wireless router) for this test.
So for the benefit of others who have a similar setup:
I connected my tel cord to the printer fax port on one end and the phone connect on the sj+. I made sure i was using a '4' gold contacts telephone cord as opposed to a '2' gold contacts cord. I did plug my mj+ in usb port of my lap top.
I also made sure that i plugged in an analog phone in my printer phone port to make sure i had dial tone before i even attempted a fax.
I also tested the fax setup through the HP printer menu as well.
I entered my fax number on my printer when i was sending a fax. My fax speed was 14.4
when i needed to receive a fax i made sure that i answered to accept the call on my MJ+ 'menu' or the phone will keep on ringing even though i had had auto-answeron my fax printer.
Again thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
kos99ngel
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leigh58 wrote:
Sfax is another internet fax service that is very reasonable - it costs from just $24 a year and is completely secure. It even allows you to digitally sign documents:

http://www.sfaxme.com

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Blinn Moris
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice informations and suggestions you made here to have the nice deals to get them.
Savario
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it really depends on your ISP / internet connection. I have a simple voice/usb fax modem with FaxTalk software and it works great for faxing with MagicJack Plus. I had problems with the original magicjack. I got it from store.getfaxing.com and you DON'T pay a monthly fee or pay per fax to any internet fax service. its free faxing anywhere you can call using magicjack.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: