magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

faxing via google voice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ksojerio
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: faxing via google voice Reply with quote

Yes, I know this is a MJ forum, but this seems to be a related topic.

Today I used my google voice account to send a fax. It went thru like a charm! Once I heard the squeal on the other end, I hit my "send fax" button, and, voila.

Now, here is the question. Can I receive a fax automatically as long as my google voice directs the incoming fax to the fax machine number? Would I have to intervene manually, as I did with the sending of the fax? Don't know how I could, as there is no "receive fax" button on my fax machine.

BTW, I do have and use a MJ for some of my other phone needs.
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be a receive or start button on your machine, which you hit when you hear the incoming fax noises.
ksojerio
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't seem to want to receive faxes.

I gave my GV number to a friend and asked her to send a fax to that number. When she dialed it, GV routed her call to my work phone number not the fax machine. So, maybe what I need to do is to tell GV that any calls it receives should route to the fax number.....Now, to figure out how to do that.....
maine-iac
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: faxing via google voice Reply with quote

ksojerio wrote:

If you must use the MJ forum to post questions about Google Voice, please use the Lounge as that is what it is intended for.
Bendle
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ksojerio wrote:
It doesn't seem to want to receive faxes.

I gave my GV number to a friend and asked her to send a fax to that number. When she dialed it, GV routed her call to my work phone number not the fax machine. So, maybe what I need to do is to tell GV that any calls it receives should route to the fax number.....Now, to figure out how to do that.....

This would only work if she had a dedicated fax number. You could put her dedicated fax number in as a contact and set a rule for that contact to always route to your google voice number that was YOUR dedicated fax number.

All other voice contacts would NOT go to this number.

Neat idea for two people who both have dedicated fax lines and fax alot.
kakpataka
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: faxing via google voice Reply with quote

ksojerio wrote:

Today I used my google voice account to send a fax. It went thru like a charm! Once I heard the squeal on the other end, I hit my "send fax" button, and, voila.

Now, here is the question. Can I receive a fax automatically as long as my google voice directs the incoming fax to the fax machine number? Would I have to intervene manually, as I did with the sending of the fax? Don't know how I could, as there is no "receive fax" button on my fax machine.

BTW, I do have and use a MJ for some of my other phone needs.

How do u fax out using GV???
degarb
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second this question.

BTW, I think faxing is central to anyphoneline. Since MJ doesn't do faxes well at all, this is far from lounge thing.
ksojerio
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a dedicated fax line. I use an HP multifunction copier/printer/fax.

First, I turn off the auto answer feature on the HP.
Then I hook up a telephone to the back of my fax machine
I have google voice call the dedicated fax line.
When the phone rings I pick it up and then hit the send fax button on the machine.

It seems to work fine in the send mode, but I can't make it work to receive faxes.
BADBOY
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turn off error correction and lower the TX speed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: