magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Fedora, Vbox, Win7 and MagicJack

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks -> Using magicJack on Linux
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CriticalThinker
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: Fedora, Vbox, Win7 and MagicJack Reply with quote

I thought that I should share this. MagicJack works flawlessly with this combination. I was having a volume problem that wasn't solved by increasing the volume from the MJ menu. However, this is resolved though device manager. For some reason, Windows sets the level at 0. Moving this to about half-way resulted in a dramatic increase. I also improved quality and responsiveness by changing the priority from foreground to background.

The last time I really used Windows for much of anything it was Win2K. This little exercise reminds my why I went to RedHat in the first place.

FWIW I have an older, but not ancient, laptop with a Core2 Duo.

Has anyone figured out how to get a JAWBONE working????

The VirtualBox is version 4.0.4 from their site. The Fedora RPMs through fusion are broken. In addition, there is an extension available on Oracle's VBox development site that opens up USB 2.0. I also created a filter for the device which, apparently, unmounts it from Linux and mounts it in Windows.

I had much better sound quality with 7 than XP.
MagicJackLinux
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Virtual Box, Linux, volume? Reply with quote

Hi, I saw this post from a while back. I have recently gone to all Linux. I used Puppy Linux, Ubuntu a few versions back and then Linux MINT with Dual WIN7 boot. Right now 11.10 Ubuntu and strictly Linux for various reasons. Trouble was, I have a Magic Jack and like to watch Cable TV from my brothers Sling Box set up when the Sports teams play on Cable ONLY instead of my free TV channels Of course Slingbox and Magic Jack have no Linux Support. There has been little movement from either of them on those areas. *although I did see Slingbox actually has a Chrome plug in now. So what to do? I did like you. I had my old Win XP disc, looked at other posters in this forum and tired Virtual Box AND the Extensions to enable the USB to show up ON the Virtual OS. Someone also posted a good example on how to NOW add your Linux computer name to the Vbox users list in gedit /etc/. Once that was done and I enabled a USB filter in Virtual Box, the Magic Jack program ran on the XP desktop just like I had it when I used only XP/Win7. Works perfect except trying to use Slingbox and make a call at the same time causes cutouts in sound on the phone call. By itself, it's perfect. Why not just use MJ and Slingbox on my WIN7 side? Do'h!! after using Gparted incorrectly, I deleted the master boot record which Mint 12 took over from Windows 7. My Restore discs I made with Gateway's pathetic method FAILED. Something about a cyclic error. I kind of liked WIN7 and it's safety over XP, I even liked IE9 a bit *gasp! but I'm enjoying Linux and learning how to partition and mess with those things correctly. I suppose I can get my brother's daughter *a student* to buy a cheaper copy of Win7 for me if I really wanted it. The good thing is, Linux CAN run Magic Jack. Now if we can just get them to create a native support for it. I'm betting the Linux community does it first, they are very creative from what I see.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks -> Using magicJack on Linux All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: