magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First Update and bug fix for the MJ+

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt9876
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: First Update and bug fix for the MJ+ Reply with quote

First Update and bug fix for the MJ+

According to tech support, connect your MJ+ to a USB port on your computer, download and run the upgrade.

Address beep issues during a call.

Windows Machines:

http://upgrades.magicjack.com/upgrade/magicJackSetup.exe

Good Luck. Smile

If you see the Green "Lucky You" it means the update is installing into your MagicJack PLUS device.

Last edited by Matt9876 on Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:40 pm; edited 4 times in total
Matt9876
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI: Apple users

corsac wrote:
It did give me a 'lucky you' upgrade when I connected it to the mac to do the testing.

That is real good news also for apple users wanting to upgraded the MJ+
c4yourself2
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very easy to do, download file from link in 1st post, plug Magic Jack Plus into a empty USB port (no need to hook up 10/100 line, I hooked up phone jack to full around with the MJ + interface) and click on install. And as stated, "Lucky You" will appear when update is in progress.

Chuck
scotty200
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the fix did not fix it at all really i tried it on mine and it did not fix the caller id only it has make it closer to the right time 4 house ahead so getting there slowly also on mine i don't get clear calls it choppy only when it hook to router i hope this get fixed soon as my router a smc smc-d3gn i port forward and all that did not help so maybe it just not working with that model
Matt9876
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scotty200 wrote:
the fix did not fix it at all really i tried it on mine and it did not fix the caller id only it has make it closer to the right time 4 house ahead so getting there slowly also on mine i don't get clear calls it choppy only when it hook to router i hope this get fixed soon as my router a smc smc-d3gn i port forward and all that did not help so maybe it just not working with that model

If you are only getting chop when connected via Ethernet to the router I would suggest getting a Linksys router with the QOS feature to give preference to VoIP traffic.

I have never had to port forward anything on my Linksys or Belkin routers.

Also the update changed something in the way the caller ID is sent out that allows my Dish Network receiver to properly process the call into the caller ID history correctly even though the time and date sent from the MJ+ are wrong.

Before the update my caller ID history stayed blank.

My best guess is they are working on the problem for time & date in stand alone mode, it would have been nice to put a real clock in the new device. Rolling Eyes
donali
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Just did update Reply with quote

Many thanks for the update notification and link. Just performed the upgrade on my MJPlus which is not quite a month old. Ordered 9/12 through the automated Voice (nightmare), and received it only a few days later. My landline number was successfully ported, and I am now using my MJPlus as my home phone. Yesterday my sister called and reported beeping on her end, so this is a timely post for me. The only other issue I have is the day/time - I set this on my phones (VTech - 4 handset/one base w/answering machine), but it resets to 1/01, 12:08am whenever an incoming call occurs. Can't tell if it's the MJ+ or the VTech phones - I am assuming it's an MJ+ problem. However, the MJ+ call log does display the correct info when it's plugged into the computer, so... ??? This update, however, did not fix that problem. I will have to wait and see if it fixes the beep problem. I don't get a lot of calls anyway, so it may be a while before I know.
scotty200

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt9876 wrote:
scotty200 wrote:

If you are only getting chop when connected via Ethernet to the router I would suggest getting a Linksys router with the QOS feature to give preference to VoIP traffic.

I have never had to port forward anything on my Linksys or Belkin routers.

Also the update changed something in the way the caller ID is sent out that allows my Dish Network receiver to properly process the call into the caller ID history correctly even though the time and date sent from the MJ+ are wrong.

Before the update my caller ID history stayed blank.

My best guess is they are working on the problem for time & date in stand alone mode, it would have been nice to put a real clock in the new device. Rolling Eyes

i was thinking that but im with rogers and they have a shitty router that is the modem too need to disable the router on it
thanks for reply
have a good one
Matt9876
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are a MagicJack PLUS owner you should plan on updating your stand alone device at least two times per year .

I'm pretty sure you are going to want any update they send out for this new device.
MrBeamer
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would think they could come up with a way to notify stand alone users that an update has been put out. An email notification would be nice, but at the very least, put a spot on their website informing us of the last update date.
How does NetDuo update their device?
Garysv
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: upgrade problems or other problems? Reply with quote

I plugged MagicJack Plus into computer and ran upgrade program that gave me a Lucky you message. Then I got a screen that said "Error, phone should be operational in 15 minutes." Had previously tried MagicJack briefly and it seemed to work with unit plugged into router and phone into MagicJack. Very confusing. No phone number shows on the screen. Closed software window (that was also demanding that I register), pulled magicjack out from computer and put back in usb slot. Got the message I get every time I plug magic jack pluc into windows 7 64 bit computer--a window telling me I have files ready to be burnt onto a CD and showing me files on magicjack plus. I manually started magicjack plus software (does not start when I insert unit) and this time got a window that showed my phone number and that allowed me to make a call to my home landline to test things out.

So if you get an error message after upgrading, try closing software, removing magicjack plus unit and then putting it back into usb slot on your computer.
Matt9876
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrBeamer wrote:
You would think they could come up with a way to notify stand alone users that an update has been put out. An email notification would be nice, but at the very least, put a spot on their website informing us of the last update date.

I'm going to start a catalog and backup of each update for the MJ+

The first is Ver# 2.0.6073.4252 Introduced by tech support as addressing beeping issues.

This upgrade and setting the device to 3g/air card mode in the softpad before moving the MJ+ back to stand alone mode has it working pretty good.

Have successfully Faxed and held data connections at 2400 baud.

When the version number changes I will report on it here.

Unplugging your MJ+ stand alone for about 5 seconds at 12 am midnight will set the time, we will have to wait for an update before you can fix the date. Mine is on a UPS- power supply so the time should stay good.
edknn
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved my MJ Plus about 4 feet from my modem and router and have not experienced any beeps since. If this continues working, my question is why didn't the people at MJ figure it out? Makes you wonder how they ever developed the product in the first place.
Matt9876
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edknn wrote:
I moved my MJ Plus about 4 feet from my modem and router and have not experienced any beeps since.

Same here also noticed they have fixed time and date on MJ+ in stand alone mode,seems to auto set itself once or twice a day.

Any comments on time and date of the MJ+ in stand alone are welcomed.

My MJ+ has run very good for the past month. Very Happy
beerhat
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

This upgrade and setting the device to 3g/air card mode in the softpad before moving the MJ+ back to stand alone mode has it working pretty good.

Curious. What does setting the 3g/air card mode do, actually? Where did you hear about that?
Matt9876
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beerhat wrote:
Quote:

Curious. What does setting the 3g/air card mode do, actually? Where did you hear about that?

3g/air card mode allows more time between packets without getting a chopping sound, Helps with slower Internet service and calls between two MagicJacks.

Heard about it right here on this forum. Smile
beerhat
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt9876 wrote:
beerhat wrote:
Quote:

3g/air card mode allows more time between packets without getting a chopping sound, Helps with slower Internet service and calls between two MagicJacks.

Heard about it right here on this forum. Smile

Very interesting. Any noted difference in call clarity/quality? My mj+ is on it's own network and pushes/pulls 79kbps average (as noted by pfSense).. t'would be an interesting metric to swap it and check the throughput, as well as maybe doing a packet capture and noting the difference. Maybe I'll try that one day when the wife isn't home -- she gets a little testy when the phone doesn't work. :O)
firefoxsilver9
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how long does the upgrade take? I got my MJ+ Monday and i plugged into my Macbook to set it up. I can't remember if i saw the "Lucky You" message indicating an upgrade of the firmware. Would it be safe to manually run it again just to make sure?
Matt9876
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a MAC the upgrade takes place automatically,the 12.3 meg download goes fast on cable internet and the green lucky you stays on the screen for about 4 seconds.

I've seen a link on this forum for apple MAC upgrades.

You can find it in the MagicJack FAQ, search for apple upgrade.
firefoxsilver9
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt9876 wrote:
On a MAC the upgrade takes place automatically,the 12.3 meg download goes fast on cable internet and the green lucky you stays on the screen for about 4 seconds.

I've seen a link on this forum for apple MAC upgrades.

You can find it in the MagicJack FAQ, search for apple upgrade.

yeah that 4 seconds sound about right. i saw a brief flash of it then it went away. I think i'm good Smile
Bill Smith

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A SEC filing dated 11/25/11 contained the following: "We are also hiring more customer service agents and have a major upgrade coming out for magicJack Plus and magicJack APP this week." Don't know about the new agents, but maybe the upgrade will solve some of the problems.

Source: http://sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1005699/000117891311003189/zk1110696.htm
beerhat
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Smith wrote:
A SEC filing dated 11/25/11 contained the following: "We are also hiring more customer service agents and have a major upgrade coming out for magicJack Plus and magicJack APP this week." Don't know about the new agents, but maybe the upgrade will solve some of the problems.

Source: http://sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1005699/000117891311003189/zk1110696.htm

Very cool! This may be a noob question, apologies in advance... is there a way I can be notified when a MJ update has been made available, like an email update? Other than this board?
Matt9876
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both the MJ+ and MagicJack app updates are welcomed.

I suspect the next MJ+ update will be the last manual update,from then on it will auto update over the Ethernet connection.

Considering how the company MagicJack operates, This forum is your best bet for detailed information about the company and service.

Last edited by Matt9876 on Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt9876 wrote:
Both the MJ+ and MagicJack app updates are welcomed.

I suspect the next MJ+ update will be the last manual update,from then on it will auto update over the Ethernet connection.

Considering how MagicJack operates this forum is your best bet for detailed information about the company and service.

I agree but you need a comma between operates and this forum. When I read it, it first looked at though MJ operated this forum. They should be so lucky to have this much info in one place Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MrBeamer
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt9876 wrote:

I suspect the next MJ+ update will be the last manual update, from then on it will auto update over the Ethernet connection.

Just wondering where you got this information about "auto updates over the Ethernet"? I would like to believe it and I hope it's true. Can you verify that this is happening? Thanks
Matt9876
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrBeamer wrote:

Just wondering where you got this information about "auto updates over the Ethernet"? I would like to believe it and I hope it's true. Can you verify that this is happening? Thanks

On the govt Form 6-K : Quote "and have a major upgrade coming out for magicJack Plus"

It only makes sense they will head this direction if the ARM processor and RAM can handle the automatic update.

It may take some time to confirm what will be added with this major upgrade, my hope is for more audio codecs and the support of HD audio. We will have to wait and see.

I check the upgrade link daily for version # and size, when it changes I'm going to update this thread and also start a new one so we can get to the bottom of what has been added or changed.
beerhat
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt9876 wrote:
MrBeamer wrote:

On the govt Form 6-K : Quote "and have a major upgrade coming out for magicJack Plus"

It only makes sense they will head this direction if the ARM processor and RAM can handle the automatic update.

It may take some time to confirm what will be added with this major upgrade, my hope is for more audio codecs and the support of HD audio. We will have to wait and see.

I check the upgrade link daily for version # and size, when it changes I'm going to update this thread and also start a new one so we can get to the bottom of what has been added or changed.

Are you kidding me? Of course it can handle the auto-update feature. I could whip up an auto-update routine in about an hour on an embedded device, and I consider myself to be a fairly novice embedded device programmer.

A full windows-based application that determines whether or not an update is certainly overkill. I assume the device runs an embedded ARM linux-based kernel. If you are a windows-centric geekazoid, you would be shocked to see just how much work can be done per CPU cycle in a Linux-based environment (read: needlessly wasted cycles in a Windows-environment).

It doesn't require much if/any horsepower to pull changes from a GIT/SVN repository once a week and then force a reboot, say every Sunday morning between 2am and at 3am. A random time between those two timeframes could be selected on upon every reboot to minimize impact on MJ's servers, so all MJ's update jobs are slightly staggered.

My guess is that the device's network adapter doesn't have a chipset of it's own, and just leeches from the CPU, which may affect/limit transfer-rates. To that end, a GIT repository or even a quick rsync from a remote-host would probably be the best most lightweight option.

SIDE NOTE: If I were a sneaky-cuss developer, to reduce the hit on MJ's servers every week, maybe I'd roll in some encrypted torrenting logic so that all MJ's keep each other updated. Wouldn't put it past them.

-BeerHat
mikesuarez
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
The fix worked for me, I was having trouble calling certain area codes and numbers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: