magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting disconnected

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tazny
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Getting disconnected Reply with quote

When I lived in virginia I never had any problems with magic jack, but ever since I moved to FLorida, my calls are being dropped in middle of conversations. It might be 5 mintes , 15 minutes or anyware in between. This is very ennoying. Does any one know why this happens here? Could it be internet provider (century link). thought it was the old magic jack, but I am having the same problem with the PLUS.
SteveHC
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all probability the problem is with yyourr home LAN setup somewhere. But ou haven't provided any info re your home LAN setup and how your MJ+ is connected to it for anyone to be able to provide you with a helpful response.
tazny
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

installed as instructions call far. ethernet cable to adapter to wall socket.
SteveHC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you're using the MJ+ connected to some sort of router via the ethernet cable, right? Do you have a modem and router that are separate from each other, or are they both combined into one box/piece of equipment?
tazny
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using a one piece combo, router and modem.,
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting disconnected Reply with quote

tazny wrote:
When I lived in virginia I never had any problems with magic jack, but ever since I moved to FLorida, my calls are being dropped in middle of conversations. It might be 5 mintes , 15 minutes or anyware in between. This is very ennoying. Does any one know why this happens here? Could it be internet provider (century link). thought it was the old magic jack, but I am having the same problem with the PLUS.

Is the problem with the MJ+ the same if plugged into puter or directly into 120 volt adapter?
SteveHC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tazny wrote:
I am using a one piece combo, router and modem.,

That can make diagnosis a bit more problematic. At any rate:

Yes, there's a *slight* chance that that your MJ+ might be overheating a bit. Try to locate it in an area that is open/has good ventilation, and use the short USB extension cable that came with it to connect the MJ+ to its a.c. power adapter. Aside from *that* -

It's also possible that the problem is with your ISP, your router or its settings, or that your MJ+ is losing its connection with your router and/or the Internet (do you ever hear a MJ "error" message after thre call is lost?), or even - but less likely, given that the problem didn't start until you moved to Florida - that you have a defective MJ+ or a.c. adapter.

So you'll want to go into your router's settings (via its web-based interface) to check those settings; each model's (and ISP's, if your model was supplied to you by your ISP) menu of settings is a bit different so I can't give you advice that's specific to your model. Assuming your router is set to *dynamically* assign each connected device its own IP address, you want to set it so that it maintains or "reserves" the exact same IP address to/for each device continuously/all the time... this way the MJ+ will never lose its connection to your router whenever the router would otherwise try to reassign it a new IP address (because you will be "telling" the router to keep the IP addresses assigned to the MAC ID of each connected device the same, all of the time). ALSO, assuming your ISP dynamically assigns your modem its network IP address (as opposed to your ISP having assigned you a "static" IP address - this is relatively uncommon and often costs more than dynamic IP address assignment), you'll want to go online into your MJ account settings and make sure that the "DHCP" setting is checked/made operational.

Also:

1. If your modem/router has more than one Ethernet jack, try connecting your MJ+ to a different jack than the one you've been using.

2. Use a better Ethernet cable than the cheapo one that came with your MJ+ - at LEAST a very good, high quality Cat 5e, if not a Cat 6. Make sure it solidly clicks into place when connected, at both ends. Avoid kinks and bends as much as possible.

3. If checking the settings, using the USB cord as I've mentioned above, checking cable/cord connections etc. don't solve your problem AND your pc or laptop is able to consistently sustain an Internet connection for longer than your MJ+ is able to sustain a call connection, try plugging your MJ+ into one of your computer's USB jacks and see if the problem disappears... if it does, the problem is *probably* either a defective a.c. adapter or - and probably more likely - an issue with your router or other router settings that I haven't mentioned.

I would also *suggest* that you go to netuptimemonitor.com, download the program to a pc or laptop - in your case, preferable a pc, buy a license key for it ($9.99 and WELL worth it), run the program and KEEP it running for about a week (so keep the pc or laptop running for a week, which means NOT having it set to go into sleep or hibernate mode at all - but you can let the monitor or display go to sleep or whatever). Go into the program's options/settings and set the program to make a loud noise when it detects an Internet connection failure (and a sound when a failed Internet connection is re-established, if you wish). The program will check for an Internet connection every 5 seconds, and log any failures. This way you can see if your ISP is screwing up without having to constantly look at the LEDs on your modem/router unit for a week.

Lastly, don't forget to check your PHONE'S operation and cord connections (to the MJ+, etc.).

*I* think these are good points from which to start, others here may have additional suggestions. So if these suggestions make sense to you, try them out & post back here to let us know the outcomes.
tazny
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

before I had the original MJ, had same problem. then this past Novemver 2012 I purchased the MJ plus and still had same problem. I will try all the things you mentioned to see if thinkgs change. Ill get back to you and let you know what happened.
SteveHC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tazny wrote:
before I had the original MJ, had same problem. then this past Novemver 2012 I purchased the MJ plus and still had same problem. I will try all the things you mentioned to see if thinkgs change. Ill get back to you and let you know what happened.

- Yeah, sounds like the problem is not with the MJ device itself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: